GO!

My 4-week old husky pups smell & feel disgusting. Bathing suggestions?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:19am PST 
I've googled the topic and found mixed answers. Some say its too young to bathe them, some say go ahead with diluted puppy soap and warm water. Their mother (Jenna) doesn't clean them anymore. She only did for the first couple weeks. The pups end up rolling around in their pee and poo when I'm sleeping or at work. The smell is getting so bad I can barely stay in the room, and their fur feels so gritty & dirty. I can't put puppy pads in their area to soak it up anymore because they rip them to shreds. So my main question is...is it safe to bathe them? Because its likely what I'm going to do. They are getting too gross to touch, the smell is ALL over their bodies.
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:43pm PST 
I'd suggest dawn dish soap, the blue kind.
It doesn't contain harmful chemicals and good for puppies of any age. Just make sure to bath them in a sink, and to keep the soap away from their little eyes.(:
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:19pm PST 
Being covered in their own waste is almost certainly more harmful than a gentle bath. You don't have to use soap, either. You can use warm water and gently massage the dirt out of their coat, then dry them well. Or forgo the bath, dampen a towel with warm water and gently wipe them up.

Dawn is recommended as being safe in several places, however, it is extremely drying. Think of how your own hands feel after washing dishes. If you go that route - especially since it sounds like they need pretty regular cleaning at this point - use very, very little Dawn.

You could also just ask your vet.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:21pm PST 
Make sure they stay warm and are completely dry after their bath. Dawn is what is used for wildlife, birds and such when they get oily but I would give the vet a call and see what they recommend for bathing puppies.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:22pm PST 
I've bathed day old kittens in dawn, I can't imagine it would harm a puppy.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 12:43am PST 
when I had my orphan puppies I use to bathe them every day or every other day depending on the smell of the pups and how gritty their fur was with diluted puppy shampoo and warm water. Then I towel dried them as much as i could and used a blow dryer that has the medium, cool, and hot settings. I used the medium setting to keep the puppies from getting too hot but to the point where it dried their fur.
[notify]
Tanqueray- Tonic

I kiss with my- teeth!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:44am PST 
Dawn Dishsoap is not gentle ... that is why it's used to remove oil from wildlife. It will dry out puppies' skin and burn their eyes.
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:53am PST 
Dawn is not harmful to a puppy as long as you bath them correctly.
Why would so many other people reccommend using it?
[notify]
Indiana

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 10:07am PST 
One of my step-father's dogs had SEVERE allergies all his life and his doggie-dermatologist recommended lemon joy dishsoap for baths because it kills germs and is gentle on their skin.
[notify]
Tanqueray- Tonic

I kiss with my- teeth!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 10:20am PST 
So many people recommend it because Dawn's commercials have caused many to mistake their products as being appropriate for use as shampoo for companion animals. But, in the commercials they're saving wildlife from hard-to-remove oil. There are more appropriate products for bathing puppies.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3