GO!

Sarah hates...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:38am PST 
To down on cue.

When I ask her to down, she does it as slow as she can, creeping her front feet out. Sometimes she will even bark or grumble at me before (or instead) of doing it... When she does get down, she is "on edge", her elbows typically are just grazing the floor, and she is not relaxed. She is ready to jump up (and will jump) at any second.

Some background- she's a rescue I got around a year old, Jack Russell/Beagle mix. I have only trained her using positive reinforcement/negative punishment. When I first got her, it took her about 6 weeks into beginning obedience to decide that laying down was "safe". I had to have her up on my bed and lure her into the down on the bed instead of on the floor. She does have that typical terrier edge to her, and strange dogs put her on alert. She loves to work for food, but sometimes it seems like she is overexcited by the treats.

Here's the thing. I have entered her in a Rally League. I thought it was going to be a "Zoom" league, where there are no stops, it's only different heelwork. Unfortunately, it's the standard rally that has some sit and down stays. She can do sit stays no-problem, but down stays she sits up part way through...

Any tips on getting her to calm down a little bit in the downs? I have to be able to have her down and then I need to be able to walk around her. Right now she sits up when I get part of the way around...
[notify]
ARCH Demon RL1, RL2, RL3, RLV

Intimidation- seldom- facilitates- learning

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 11:09am PST 
Sarah, have you seen the way I teach fast downs? Are you doing C-WAGS?
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:35pm PST 
Yes C-WAGS, no I haven't seen the way you teach fast downs, but would be interested! big grin
[notify]

Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:36pm PST 
I don't know anything sports, but I'm curious whether trying to give her a positive association with down would help. For example, if for a while you only asked for it when she's at her most relaxed and comfortable. Maybe around bedtime, for example, and asking for it on a soft surface, and stroking her and rubbing her belly when she does it.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:33pm PST 
Knew it was C-WAGS. Zoom classes are fun! I will be judging my first C-WAGS trial in May!!

Here is how I teach fast downs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFd1e8HY7s8

It has helped me create nice drops on recall and Demon is really good at all those moving downs in the C-WAGS classes. Here is his drop on recall (amped up a bit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyxxWrkL7Y

Demon is reactive (ie afraid of big dogs in a way that causes him to aggress) and down is a very vulnerable position, but in spite of that I can count on his downs because we have made them so much fun!
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:08pm PST 
Thanks for the info guys.
Smokey, I will try some of that, but the league starts next week! yikes! I would wait and start with the next league, but the levels they are doing get harder. I already missed the first league last fall. They are doing a Zoom level but it is level 1.5 and we are not ready for that.

Demon, I'll have to watch those videos! Thanks! Everyone always says how fun C-WAGS is! I don't have anything to compare it to smile. I've done one Nosework trial. It was not too much fun! I was pretty frustrated because we didn't do very well (despite taking 6 months of weekly, private classes).
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:50pm PST 
Ah, but C-WAGS just started Scent Detectives (note to self, I really MUST take the judge's test as I helped write it lol), so you could try that. It is all containers.

And they just started a games class too (and I need to take THAT test also).

I have taught AKC/UKC Rally and am an APDT Rally judge and I think out of those venues, C-WAGS is my favorite, the most challenging and the most fun!
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:06pm PST 
Sarah, Gunther was the EXACT SAME WAY! Wow, did he absolutely hate lying down on cue. To the point where he would often refuse it altogether.

Asher, I'm really pleased to say that your "Demon Down" video FIXED the problem. hail We're still practicing, but the dread is completely gone. He goes right down.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:14pm PST 
Yay, Gunther!!!! Glad it helped. But I have to confess, it's not mine. I tend to steal from the best I can find (and don't always make it my own).

I think it is a great game for competition because it builds dogs that drop on a dime.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:25pm PST 
I think most things are borrowed! It's a great technique for dogs like Gunther, that get frustrated and bored easily. It's working wonderfully. Tell him to jump or weave and he's THERE, but lying down he was just.. "Uuuugghh... do I HAVE to?"
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4