GO!

worried about dog and baby

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Koda

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:28pm PST 
First of all I want to say I love my dog very much and am not considering euthanasia at this point and I would never re home him I have a 3 year old mutt who is fearful and has a few medical issues allergies and seizures are just a couple to name.

Recently he has shown concerning behavior that I believe or connected to his seizures he has clusters and recently more have been breaking through the medication and after a vet visit and blood work in addition to taking phenobarbital he is going to start with potassium bromide.

Now to start with his issues the least important one's are he no longer listens and try s to escape the yard and wander, he looks at me sometimes like he does not know who I am ( this is happening a couple of weeks after his last cluster).
But the one that worries me the most is matt my 15 month old nephew koda is starting to give him looks and body language that worries me before his seizures became frequent he was just fine with matt crawling and running etc. and to note Matt is not rough with the dog at all I do not allow it and he is never alone with him.

At first I thought I was the only one worried about koda potentially biting Matt because he was too close to him but my sister brought it up to me as well, and we are worried eventually having to euthanize as his head deteriorates with every seizure he has.

I don't want to drop the ball early but I am worried about Matts safety , I have 3 other dogs and never had these concerns with them. I am asking for other people's opinions on what they would do in this situation.

Thanks if you read my long winded post

Very worried Liz
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:02pm PST 
If your nephew doesn't live with you I would say to put Koda in another room or gated area, even a playpen when your nephew is around. Humans can even bite during seizures, better to keep Koda and child safely away from each other perhaps.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:17pm PST 
No we all live together sister, brother in law and nephew a long with the dogs. and will be for awhile still

He is never around the baby when he is having a seizure, and is for the most part;however we live in a small house so it becomes tricky when keeping them apart , at this point though he is not around the baby but then he is alone more because I just don't trust him anymore and it's not fair but I just fear with what if's and would never forgive myself if something did happen because I ignored the signals one time
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:22pm PST 
I'm going to say something now... And I really don't want you to connect it with your dog because it's not the same dog.. But I have experience with seizures..

My cousins Golden Retriever had really frequent grand mal seizures. There was one seizure he had when he was protecting one of my cousins kids from a stray dog that attempted to attack her, and he collapsed into the seizure during the fight with the other dog. It did enough neurological damage that he was never the same dog again. The dog who had once tolerated and even loved ANY attention from the children, who had once sought to be close to them, and had never had an issue with kids before... Was suddenly no longer the same dog. He would growl, or snap at the children if they did something that bothered him in any way, he was showing signals that made my cousin feel that he was unsafe to have with her small children. He had become an unhappy, wary dog who was no longer happy or friendly. She ended up euthanizing him because she felt it was better than any other situation he could be put in at that point.

Seizures CAN do neurological damage. They CAN change a dog from what they once were. There is no denying that. How often does it happen? I don't know. But I do know it CAN and does in some cases.

In this situation, I would first try the new medical approach that you guys are starting up with him, along with a good combination of management. Also, I'd like to ask - what is he fed? I find a lot of foods with BHA, BHT, chemicals and dyes, etc can really trigger seizures to happen more frequently too. I learned this the hard way and now feed a dog food(when I can't afford raw) that has no preservatives, chemicals or dyes in it. For management, I'd gate him away from the baby if possible, have him leashed when the baby is around if possible, kenneled when you can't supervise or locked in your bedroom, and LOTS of diligent supervision if he is around the baby. DO NOT ignore his signals. If he shows any signs of discomfort, I'd put him in another room or a kennel with a good chew and let him have some space from the baby. Small children can be stressful on dogs that have epilepsy, and even healthy, normal dogs too.

If this doesn't work, the end option is really up to you. I think my first thought would be to try to find a rescue(potentially breed specific) that would take him on, and be able to afford his Vet costs and put him in a good no-child foster home until they found him an adoptable home that could handle him. If that option is not an option for you at all, in the end, if nothing else works, euthanasia is all that's left.

But, ultimately, I'd try the other medical routes first, in combination with good ol' management. Have you tried giving him Rescue Remedy? Are you on the Epilepsy K9 list? If not, I recommend checking them out. LOTS of information on their website that can help and if you join their emailing list, it's a huge email list of support people going through the same thing that can all provide help, support, advice and possibly even resources. Click here for their website.

And lastly, good luck. My Charlie has seizures as well. I know how hard it can be. hug
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:46am PST 
dylan is epileptic, gran mall clusters, as many as 21 in 3 days. but, with diet changes and meds, now 4 years seizure free. but, and its a big one. he now has sudden bouts of aggression. and with the border collie focus, ones he clicks into one of these seizure( and I do feel it is a seizure that is manifstating itself this way) he will bite. and has. me and my husband so far.I will not take the chance of him biting anyone else.I can tell when he is losing controll and try to get him to refocus before it reaches the point of attack, some times I cant.he has one drawn blood 1 time, very minor, my husbands foot.
please be carefull, there are nno children in this house. not sure what I would have to do if there were.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:49pm PST 
Thanks for the response and examples right now we are not doing anything drastic I will admit it does scare me that the seizures are changing his personality so much. However I love him too much and am willing to work but if he starts to acts worse I can't choose him over my nephew.

Turning him over to a rescue we feel is not an option because of his issues and the fact that the rescues over here are stuffed to the gill with adoptable dogs and no fosters available He would not do well in a kennel situation. He deserves better than that ,If any rescue would even consider him which I doubt. He is currently eating 4 health and I will look into the rescue remedy.

Edited by author Tue Jan 1, '13 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:57pm PST 
Does he give any indication he's about to have a seizure?

And does he have any sort of crate or space he can go to if he's feeling one coming on?

My Fynny has seizures. Thankfully they are short lived and haven't changed his behavior any really. He can sense when one is about to come on and he does retreat to the crate we have in our bedroom on his own. I think he knows it's particularly calm and safe there. He definitely finds comfort in it.

If worst comes to worst you can always just confine him to a room in your house when the kiddos is out and about. I personally think that would be a better option than having to rehome him.

Getting a behaviorist on board may be of help, so could creating some positive associations between him and the child...having the boy pitch him some treats once in awhile could be a good start.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:48pm PST 
As someone has mentioned that seizures can make a change in a dog's neurological setup, then maybe trying to separate the dog from the child in a small house couldn't help as much. Probably the best thing to do is be around. If Koda still looks at your nephew strangely and gets a lot more aggressive, then maybe it's going to be time to put him down.

I know this wouldn't be an easy thing to do but it's either you get to keep him but get someone hurt, or you euthanize him and your problem ends.
[notify]