GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:22am PST 
I'm so sick of the "dog food snobs"! It's like if you don't feed raw or home cooked then it's animal abuse, if you don't feed a holistic grain free kibble then people feel sorry for your poor deprived doggies, and if you feed a high quality grain inclusive food then it's garbage and you need to feed something better and if you feed anything considered low quality then you shouldn't have dogs at all. Um...WHAT!? People need to realize that not every dog can handle certain foods and not every pet parent has the means for the so called "better" or "ideal" diets. People who feed the so called "low quality" food can be "dog food snobs" too. It's like oh you feed xyz but that's so expensive, brand abc is just as good or oh you feed that expensive stuff, only the best for fluffy huh or he/she is just a dog they don't need fancy dog food when this brand is just as good. Um...WHAT!? Sorry but my dogs have special dietary restrictions and I need to feed them something that won't make them sick! So I feed them in a way that works best for them and what I can afford to feed them. I hate when people get so rude about dog food. Anyone else sick of the "dog food snobs"?

Edit: Since this got bumped up, I'll add this. Perhaps I should have used the word "bully" instead of the word "snob". I used the word snob because I've been called a "dog food snob", after telling someone that I avoid certain ingredients because my dogs have allergies, so the term "dog food snob" kind of stuck with me. I'm sorry if the term "dog food snob" offended anyone. meditate

Edited by author Sat Jun 1, '13 5:07pm PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 12:09pm PST 
I agree, a dear friend was very upset, people were dis ing her for what she feeds her cat. he is 18 years old! what the heck?????

I found a food that has helped dylan be seizure free. its no the top of the line, but, its not "grocery store brands " either. sence I switched to it, no seizures in over 4 years.

offering advice is one thing, to condem, critisize, and belittle is not nessessary
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 12:37pm PST 
Even if people do ask for advice, why be rude about it? I understand people being passionate about pet nutrition but being passionate and bullying someone into feeding something else is not the same thing. Whatever happened to feed what works? shrug
[notify]

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 3:07pm PST 
Lily, I totally understand where you are coming from with this! When I started researching raw food there were so many different views on it. Some say feed only raw food, some say you HAVE to add stuff to it to make it good for your dog, some say it has to be cooked, some say it has to be fed with a kibble diet as well, etc. Everyone has their own opinion and I was getting very overwhelmed about it all wondering who was really right.

Know what I did? I just stopped reading what other people were saying, and started doing my own research on different foods and decided what *I* felt was right for my dog. If anyone has a problem with how I feed my dog, I just tell them that's fine, you can feed your dog the way you want and I will feed my dog the way I want! big grin
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:50pm PST 
I wish I read that stuff somewhere, that post was all paraphrased from what people have actually said to me or stuff I heard people telling others. confused

Edited by author Mon Dec 31, '12 6:57pm PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 7:45pm PST 
"some say it has to be cooked, some say it has to be fed with a kibble diet as well, etc"

Some say it has to be cooked? Then it can't be raw? I don't get why someone would say to cook? so odd.

Saya is raw fed does great on it. I don't push it, but if someone wants info I'll try to help.

Saya mainly fed prey model raw, but she does get kibble as low value training treat and things like honest kitchen for a snack once in a while.

Bella does fine on kibble she rotates between brands, grain free, grain inclusive and once or twice week gets raw meal as dinner. She does well on it.

I don't hang around dogster much so I don't see the snobbery going around.

Some dogs do well on rotation diet some don't feed what works for your dog.

I sure do and no one can change my mind.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:14pm PST 
I don't really hang around the F&N forums here too much, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as some sites. It certainly seems better here now then it was a few years ago.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:41pm PST 
I never pass judgement as long as the person is making an informed decision based on research and experience versus trying to make a point by remaining ignorant.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:51pm PST 
This post was about real life dog food snobs, not any that happen to post on any internet forums.

Edited by author Mon Dec 31, '12 9:05pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 9:13pm PST 
I never met any other than online, but then I probably don't hang around the right places IRL to hear that sort of talk.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10