GO!

How Do I Teach...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 10:45am PST 
...her to walk with a loose leash? She pulls like a freight train without brakes, and it's a good thing she's only twenty four pounds!

I understand that the concept is to reward when she's standing with the leash loose, but she never does. She goes out to the end of the leash and just stands there, keeping it constantly taut.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 11:03am PST 
a special one of a kind treat. dont give her the whole peice, let her just work of little nibbles walking beside you. and turn often. even if its take 5 steps and turn back. make her focus on you.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 1:16pm PST 
I have the method I use for Loose Leash Walking in a video on Asher's page:

http://www.dogster.com/video/418007/loose_leash_walking

I use this in all my classes and the nice thing is that it is all about position, so it is easy to tighten the criteria to a proper heel once taught.
[notify]

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 5:01pm PST 
I need to figure out a high value treat for her. She's fed on a schedule, so perhaps I could use her dinner kibble.

That was really useful, Asher, thanks!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 5:11pm PST 
Cheese or cut up cooked hot dog often works well, maybe try that? Dehydrated liver is good too. Just cut it up into teeny weeny pieces so she's not getting a lot of it every time. It should not upset the feeding schedule if you just do a short lesson every day.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 6:27pm PST 
Try a freight train that weighs almost half your weight WWooooooof...I never quite figured out the commands that control pulling. Sophie has matured and slowed down on her own a bit, I would suggest the Petco comfort harness perhaps. It makes it more comfortable for you, since it distributes the pull so you have more control. I always use one with Callie.snoopy
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 6:53pm PST 
She's about 1/5th my weight-- I couldn't do it with a dog half my weight! I'd rather teach her to heel properly instead of relying on a harness to redistribute the pulling force.

Asher, I wanted to say what an amazing help that video was! I got some of her kibble, and clicked her for looking up at me with the leash on. She caught on pretty quickly. The first few times I stepped back, she didn't follow, but then she figured it out. I stopped after doing it for maybe 5-10 minutes because I heard multiple shorter training sessions are best. Tomorrow I'll do more backing up with her.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:59pm PST 
I'm glad that your dog is finally walking on a loose leash thanks to clicker training. You should be careful not to click in a different time other than that moment when she stands up or else your dog will get confused. Always be consistent.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:56am PST 
You are very welcome, Luna. It's a technique called shaping. It really does not rely on the leash at all, but rather shapes for position. And it builds slowly, so be sure to have an 80-90% success rate before tightening or adding new criteria.

It is the method I use in my classes and my students have a very high success rate when they follow through.

If you need any help, be sure to ask!

Oh, and I try to match the reinforcer with the environment. In the house, maybe in the yard, I use kibble. At the vets? Dried fish, liver, chicken, meatballs etc. I always tell my students if they want their dogs to respond to them as well as they respond to me they need to think about what is in their bait bags!
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 10:24am PST 
I'm going to try it outside in my driveway next, and see how she does with a more distracting environment. So far, after two sessions, she steps closer to me 100% of the time when I step to the back or side!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3