GO!

Suggestions on dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Prissy

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 2:11pm PST 
Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she is currently on Purina EN dog food because the vet put her on that kind because some of the other dog food caused her to have diarrhea. She has a rash on her stomach and chest and she is very bad constipated, she cant go to the bathroom. I am not sure if it is the dog food or not. She is very skinny, she isnt gaining weight, she is actually losing weight. Several people have said that Purina isnt a good food. Any suggestions on a food.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 2:43pm PST 
hug

Have you tried a limited ingredient food?
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:37pm PST 
HERE is the review of that food on Dog Food Advisor. Definitely not the best choice for a dog with suspected food allergies!

I've had very good luck with California Natural products for allergies. It has a single protein/single carb, and they also have grain free formulas. Your best bet is to pick a formula with a protein/carb you know your dog hasn't been on before.
[notify]

Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:14pm PST 
Wellness, small breed chicken is what Penny, with her wheat and corn allergies, does very well on...Petco carries it for sure, that's where I buy it. Or you can buy it online.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:20pm PST 
Did the rash and constipation start after switching to the Purina EN? Has she been back to the vet since those problems developed? If not, that would be my first step.

If the food seems to be the issue, I agree a limited ingredient diet is worth a try, and that Purina isn't a great food. These kibbles have high quality ingredients and might be a good place to start:

California Natural
Blue Basics
Wellness Simple Solutions
Nature's Variety

You might also consider an allergy test to help figure out what, if anything, she's allergic to.

ETA: Also keep in mind that any change in food can cause diarrhea, especially if the switch isn't made gradually. Unless it was causing really bad problems, I would feed a new food for at least two weeks after the gradual transition to give her time to adjust before deciding whether or not it's helping her issues.

Edited by author Fri Dec 28, '12 7:32pm PST

[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:02pm PST 
My little one here had problems with itching and lost fur, I put her on the Nutro Natural Choice grain free fish formula. She does not itch as much and the hair has started to grown back. She looks great , and I am sure feels a lot better.
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:16am PST 
You might try a little people pumpkin on the food or separate for the diarrhea and yogart, that has probiotics, will help with tummy issues. Grain free is also a good choice. I used Nutro NC Grain Free Turkey for my Grey when she was having allergy issues and she did great on it. Hope you find something that will help her gain some weight.
[notify]