GO!

Neuter effects on my guy's personality?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 7:38pm PST 
I've read about the recommendations on avoiding the pediatric neutering. He's about 9 months now, still unaltered. He's sweet as pie and very willing to listen, avoids angering other dogs at the park, he has started humping a couple times but he stops when I ask him to (so far).

He has to be neutered eventually, as I signed a contract saying I would do so, but I'm just wondering this (it probably sounds stupid) someone told me once he gets more sexually developed he'll become a bit harder to work with, more dog aggressive, will hump most dogs he sees, will not be as oriented to me, etc. They said once those behaviors start even if you neuter after they don't decrease as much as just neutering now and avoiding them.

I'm just wondering if that holds any weight? If so I'd neuter him now. If not I'd prefer to wait til the very end.

Thanks
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 8:02pm PST 
Teenager dogs can be a bit troublesome. My own dog was quite the butthead, but manageable. I know another dog that wasn't manageable until he was neutered. In that case though the neuter DID help the behavioral issues.

Samson is intact and his entire world revolves around people, anyone who tells you an intact dog isn't as oriented to his person is full of nonsense. Don't listen to them.

Humping behavior *may* show up, can't stress the "may" enough. I've seen Samson do it a couple times, Jake (who is neutered) didn't start doing it until after he was fixed. It's still not anything excessive, though.

Honestly I'd just stick to a wait-and-see plan. If he needs to be neutered sooner, do it then, if not, wait until your contract says you must.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 8:02pm PST

[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 9:26am PST 
Thanks much
[notify]

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 10:29am PST 
Charlie Chaplin, what people mean is that behaviors that start out more hormonally-driven (you know, the typical stuff which for males can include humping, marking, even escaping, roaming, aggression) -- can become "also" a habit for the dog, which then is harder to correct, even after a later neuter. In other words, if a dog starts habitually humping, for example, neutering might not fix the behavior. Whereas, had the dog been neutered at a younger age, he might not have started humping ever. (That's hard to know though; as you can't go back in time, neuter younger, and find out!)

But sometimes, of course, if a dog does start "those" behaviors, a later neuter does solve the problem.

It's just hard to predict in the individual dog the behavioral effects of a neuter and how the effects will vary according to the age at which the procedure is done.

Anecdotally, I've had male dogs neutered as puppies, and one at the age of 1 year. None of them have shown any humping or marking or such. But then again, would they have, if they'd been neutered later, or not at all? No way to know!
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:01am PST 
Too late to edit my post. What I meant to say was "marking indoors" - I assume marking outdoors wouldn't be considered a behavioral problem by most pet owners. My neutered guys all do lift their legs and mark outdoors, but not at all indoors.

I have a close friend who lives with intact males and one of them, about 4-5 years old, is an incorrigible indoors marker, managed sometimes with a "diaper." She recently considered having him neutered but I did say that it would be no *guarantee* of stopping that behavior, so she should weigh that against her other personal reasons pro/con about neutering her dog.
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:17pm PST 
Gotcha, thank you very much.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:58pm PST 
One more thing, have you ever heard of dogs getting depressed permanently? Would the loss of testosterone effect that part of his system? I know I sound silly but I just got reamed by my boyfriend.

I think he's more attached to Chaplin's testicles than Chaplin is. But I just feel like a really crappy owner now after he had his words with me. Saying things like Chaplin's personality is going to be different forever, he's going to be depressed, neutering is a selfish human act, he was born with them for a reason, Chaplin's perfect as is, etc.

First, I know he's full of bull in the sense the man doesn't know one basic fact about dog behavior or physiology. But he did make me feel bad and I am worried the little guy will have depression all his life (I don't mean it like he'll miss his testicles but couldn't the hormones change something)?

Ugh... just hate getting my integrity ripped apart by my boyfriend for trying to do something good for Chaplin.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 11:58pm PST 
Sorry to word it like this, but I wouldn't listen to your boyfriend on the subject! I think it's a guy thing, they wouldn't want to lose their own nuts, so they freak out about the dog losing his. He definitely sounds more attached to them than the dog does, lol. laugh out loud

I haven't seen any dogs that have been depressed forever because they got neutered. I just got my Sheltie neutered, who is 7 years old, and honestly he doesn't even realize anything happened to him. He hasn't taken a peek back there and I don't even think he realizes that he had a surgery done. He seems much more concerned about the hair they shaved off his front leg for IV fluids... lol.

Don't feel bad about what your boyfriend is saying, as it sounds like he doesn't know. It's better for the dog to get them fixed, it prevents them from developing some health problems later in life and will help a lot of behaviours (like marking territory and such).

I think you should be safe to neuter any time now. I've only heard that it's better for larger dogs to wait until they are a bit older, until they are full grown, because it messes with their grown plates if they are fixed too soon.

Good luck with things!
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:59am PST 
I would wait till he is about a year old, then get him fixed.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:41am PST 
There's certainly the potential his personality could change - hormones play a large role in any biological organism and you're making a very drastic hormonal change.

That said, typically personality changes are for the better, and we're not talking about changes that make your dog into a completely different dog. Small things, nothing intrinsic to who your dog is.

And depression? No. Hormonal loss like that can cause depression in humans, but there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that it can cause chronic depression like that in any animal.

Jake is just about the happiest dog I know, and he hasn't had "the boys" around for almost three years now.

I'm a guy and I'll admit straight up the thought of neutering a dog does bring on a sort of empathetic cringe. But if it is the best decision for the dog & owner, then it is the best decision, you can't be making it based on what a human guy thinks about it based on some inappropriate sense of anthropomorphism.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2