GO!

Fostering Dogs Being ESAs?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 8:34pm PST 
This is a bit of an odd question... My friend has a mental disability, and loves to foster dogs, she's been fostering them for a while for a certain rescue. She will be moving soon to a house that has a weight limit but most of the dogs she fosters (One at a time) are mostly larger and would exceed that limit. So the question she asked me (Which I didn't have an answer for so I said I would ask here) Is if the dogs she foster would count as ESAs, her doctor has even written up a note for an ESA, but she's not sure if it would work that way.

I asked her about just getting a dog but she says that for now she wants to stick with fostering as that is her passion, and she loves seeing the dogs go to good homes and such.

Any ideas?
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:26am PST 
I'm not sure. It seems to me that if you foster a dog, you only have it temporarily so that seems contradictory to the whole purpose of an ESA to me. But I might be mistaken, there.

Also, I think landlords can impose reasonable limits with regard to ESAs. If she already had an ESA that was above the weight limit, that would be one thing. But if she is going to be taking in a foster dog temporarily, why not just foster a smaller dog?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 9:22am PST 
Sounds to me like your friend is trying to find a loophole in order to keep her fosters. I find it a tad unscrupulous. shrug
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:33am PST 
Think it is a great idea's for dogs who have been in sad situations giving them a new look on life.
To both a person and the dogs.
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:06pm PST 
Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Asking a landlord to accommodate a different dog every month or so is not a reasonable accommodation. It also doesn't give the dog and person enough to bond. I don't think a landlord would go for it.
[notify]