GO!

Peeing outside.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:30am PST 
Hi everypup, my name is Lexus and i'm new to dogster, my new sister has been on it for a while though her name is Mika. So anyways I am having trouble peeing outside. I am 4 months old already and used to peeing somewhere else. I have peed outside here a couple times but it takes me a long long time before I will finally pee....any suggestions on how to help me pee outside and faster?
Would realllllllllly help! thinking
[notify]
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:22pm PST 
Make sure when you are taking her outside that it's frequently (once every hour or half hour when you're home is a good starting point). Always to the same spot. Praise to high heavens and offer treats when she goes.

In the house she needs to be crated or tethered to you to keep her from accidents. Make sure you are taking her outside every single time she eats or drinks anything. Watch her closely, if she starts to sniff around intently get her out then too.

Clean up all accidents with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces so she doesn't sniff out and use that spot again way to go
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:08pm PST 
O.K thanks cooper. I have been doing all of that except for tethering her to me, maybe I will try that then!!! smile
[notify]

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:50am PST 
Hello every pup, I am pleased to say house training is going great now, I haven't had an accident in....going on 3 days now! WOOHOO happy dance and am fitting in nicely at my new home.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 2:13pm PST 
O.k so we are definitely on the right track to house training, we are going on 4 days now, just one accident! She is doing great! I am just trying to find different ways on teaching her to let us know when to go outside. She knows she has to pee out there now but telling us is a different story, I just take her out very often and watch for her sniffing around in the house for a spot and then I take her out and she goes. So does anybody have any suggestions on helping her learn to tell me?
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 6:00pm PST 
Some people hang a bell by the door and ring it on the way out with praise. Most dogs figure out a way to signal their need in some way, one of mine just gets relentlessly up in our face and we know then she is asking the other 2 scratch at the door. I am an advocate of paying for good behavior with treats and so when the dog goes potty outside I praise and treat immediately when they are tiny or starting potty training. The result is that even now the treats have been discontinued they all pee on command and quickly in times of need of rush like on the road or cold mornings.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:43pm PST 
I have heard a lot of people are using the bell for their pups, it's a good idea. She is doing great with her training. She had an accident yesterday but other then that it's been 4 or 5 days without one. I am very proud of her, she is catching on so quick. I can usually tell when she has to pee because she starts sniffing in circles on the floor I just have to help her with going to the door instead of the floor, so maybe the bell thing would be a good idea.

Edited by author Sat Dec 22, '12 7:44pm PST

[notify]