GO!

How Much to Tip a Groomer?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:32pm PST 
I've found a really great groomer here in San Francisco and I want to make sure I tip her properly.
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:52pm PST 
I'm not sure if there is a norm for tipping a groomer. If you're at a restaurant and tip the waiter usually it's about 10 - 15% of the bill. Not sure if that's a good amount to go by for a groomer. I'm a groomer, and I'm happy if I get a tip at all, lol! Many people don't even know they are meant to tip a groomer, that's why I leave a jar clearly labeled "TIPS" on my counter.

I mostly get $2, if any, sometimes $5, very rarely $10. Recently I got a $20 tip (but it was 2 dogs getting groomed and their total was $120). Whatever you feel like tipping I guess, your groomer will very much appreciate it!

Edited by author Tue Nov 27, '12 6:52pm PST

[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 4:47pm PST 
Thank you! WOW, I have heard from several groomers that they don't always get tipped, shocking!

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 4:55pm PST

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:55pm PST 
I'm with Turner; anything is appreciated since most people don't seem to realize that we should be tipped. And I absolutely believe that we should. I've had days where I've had 10 customers and not a single tip. But I've also had days where everyone has left me something. Since we aren't allowed a tip jar in our salon, people only tend to realize that we should be tipped when they see someone else leaving something for us.

That said, I'd say 10 - 15% is a good guideline.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 3:11am PST 
I rarely get tipped, I guess it depends on the area. I travel 30 minutes out of town every Wednesday to groom in a smaller town where I went to school for grooming. The people there almost never tip! In the bigger city where I live I've noticed people tripping more, and being much more appreciative. It really makes me feel so much happier getting a tip, because I know they aren't being forced to (it's not part of the cost) and are doing it because they really appreciate it.

On another note, I read about Beasley's story and it is very touching! I'm glad Beasley ended up in a great forever home!
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:58am PST 
Gosh, again, shocked by this. If I get a haircut, or my nails done, I tip. I consider the grooming of my dog no different than the salon/spa service I get for myself.

Thanks again you guys!

way to go
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 11:10am PST 
My Petsmart groomer in AZ always did a GREAT job and because she spent quality time with my Standard Poodle, then I tip her $10. Even with the tip his groom is cheaper then other places in that area.

I'm now in Virginia and if my Standard gets a groom at the only Petsmart in town, then she's going to be surprised that she/he could get a nice tip.

I think giving them a great tip because of their awesome job, then you'll probably use them again. When you return they know what to expect from a great groom, a very rewarding tip.

Ailbe
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 12:25pm PST 
Not only does the groomer make Beasley beautiful, comfortable, and healthier, but I am trusting Beasley in the groomer's care for a few hours. It’s a lot of responsibility! I am happy to tip when all of this is done well.
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:18pm PST 
Always a dog oriented gift during the holidayssmile
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:24pm PST 
For me, it depends partly on which pet I'm taking and how cooperative they are. I LOVE the groomer by my house, he always takes such care with my babies, so he always gets a tip, but sometimes I bring him a challenge that deserves a little extra.

Last time I brought a dog who wasn't Jasper, it was a terrified rat terrier foster dog who was a nightmare to get clean and get her nails trimmed. She had to be muzzled and worked with VERY carefully, and she was so neglected that she was basically just a big clod of filth. frown She then proceeded to pee all over herself as the groomer was walking her out to me, prompting a second bath. I don't recall the dollar amount, but I tipped the man who groomed her the same amount I paid for the bath/nail trim. He more than earned it!

When Jasper goes in to have his nails ground, he's calm and easy to work with, and I tip $5 for the $15 nail trim/grind.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3