GO!

How to Brush a Sheltie?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 6:39pm PST 
I just brought my Sheltie home. I would like to brush her, but I'm not sure which brush to use first. I have a slicker brush, a pin brush, and a comb.

Which should I use first? Which is the one I should use for daily brushing, and which is for working on mats? (She does not have any mats.)
[notify]
Eclipse

I am a Diva- Girl

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 8:33pm PST 
You can use a Slicker brush and a comb too,
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 1:49am PST 
Ooo, I love shelties!

They have a long thick coat so they need line combing or brushing starting low on the legs so you can get all the way to the skin. Push the fur you aren't working through up and let a little down as you finish an area. Helps get the fur worked through close to the skin, I am sure you know of dogs with bad matting because the owner just combed/brushed the very top layer of a thick coat! I would comb as I would constantly be getting the skin with the slicker which could scratch a bit but I don't know if that is proper or not.

A woman in a training class with me long ago told me her properly coated shelties only needed line combing once a week and she just did it on the floor watching TV with her buddies. Very relaxing for them all.

Here is Gio and Romeo's blog posts on grooming. There is a video showing how she line brushes and furminates the dogs. I don't know if the furminator is recommended or not for shelties, do more research. You can see the care taken to get to the skin though. I do Max's feet, hocks and wrists like this. Looks very sharp too even though Max needs his feetsies trimmed weekly and uh, they don't get trimmed weekly....
http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/search/label/Grooming
[notify]

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 10:44am PST 
Line brushing sounds good.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 12:17pm PST 
Because of the specific type of coat she has and being non typical I'd just use the pin brush and a comb. Line brushing yes, daily, but the slicker mostly won't be needed because of how clean you'll keep her Anyway.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 12:34pm PST 
Thanks, Happy. That's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
[notify]
Baxter

I Luv FOOD!!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:08pm PST 
I've had shelties for over 30 years and was lucky enough to get a brushing lesson from the breeder of my first Sheltie. Do not brush a dry coat. There are grooming sprays available but I just mist my guys with plain water. I line brush with a slicker for most of it but use a comb in the area right behind the ears. The ear hair will mat very quickly. When I have them thoroughly brushed I use a pin brush to do an all over finish on the outer coat.

If you are not experienced in brushing Shelties I would not use a Furminator. If not used properly it will damage and break the long, outer coat. I would recommend an undercoat rake over the Furminator and actually the only time you'd really need either is when they blow coat once or twice a year. Once you get the hang of line brushing you should be able to get the job done fairly quickly and shouldn't have to brush more than once a week unless it's blowing season.

Edited by author Sat Nov 24, '12 4:10pm PST

[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 6:50pm PST 
My comb looks like an undercoat rake.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 9:42pm PST 
I have PLENTY of experience grooming Shelties! I used to show groom them, and I brush my own quite often. You will want a comb, and a good slicker brush, and an undercoat rake.

When you brush, make sure you aren't top brushing. Part the hair and make sure you are brushing down to the skin, with the slicker brush, otherwise you are going to be breaking the coat. It is a good idea to use a coat conditioner, or at least mist with water, while brushing, so you're not breaking the coat either.

After you brush through the entire coat with the slicker brush, go through it with the comb to make sure there are no tangles left in it. After that, go over the coat with the undercoat rake to remove the loose hair. Work one section at a time until there isn't much coat coming out anymore.

I like to comb out my dog once a day, and I give him a good brushing while misting with conditioner once or twice a week. I prefer to comb him out more often than to brush as I find the brush can do damage to the coat. Actually, when I brush my dog I mist him so much with conditioner that he's pretty wet when I'm done, then I high velocity dry him (I'm a groomer with my own shop, so it's easy for me to do this, but not for everyone).

I also bath my dog about every 2 weeks. If you give your own dog a bath make sure that you brush and remove all the undercoat before the bath. It will make the process so much easier. It will be easier for the shampoo to get into the coat and to the skin and much easier to rinse. My dog has a thick coat so it's hard to get him completely soaked with just water, so I put a bit of shampoo on him while getting him wet because it helps soak him to the skin.

I find all this works great for my Sheltie, and I've noticed a few people who have gotten a new Sheltie and haven't had a clue how to take care of the coat properly, so I hope this helps you out!
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:09am PST 
I use a dog rake because they have so much hair and can get tangled you want to de-shed their coat! you can use a slicker too and a furmanatior is awsome also (I've had a sheltie boy for 5 years I also groom dogs! It's great to get them into grooming very early so that they enjoy it all threw their life! Otherwise you can have alot of tangles and matts which isnt healthy! Enjoy your new baby!! Welcome to Sheltie Nation! hehe
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2