GO!

Control Unleashed class

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:52am PST 
Has anyone here taken a Control Unleashed class? I've read McDevitt's book several times, but feel like the hands-on training and work might do us both some good.

I am excited to start the class...just curious if others have taken such a class and what their experience was.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 6:33am PST 
No, I have not taken the class, but Ali and Leslie are good friends (and I know Leslie through Ali) so we use many of her exercises in our reactive dog classes.

I think that if it is a well run class, it is worth it. But like anything else, the skill level of the trainer is important. If you have a good teacher with a well run class, go for it. If not, a class like this in the wrong hands could do more harm than good.

Be critical when evaluating trainers, find a good one, observe classes and decide if this is right for you.
[notify]
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:42pm PST 
I'm currently reading her book and I'm learning so much! I haven't been involved in a class though. If you take a CU class, you'll have to tell us how it goes! Best of luck.
[notify]