GO!

Enough variety over the next two months?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 11:36am PST 
I just came home from Boston where I picked up over 100lbs of whole cornish hens (gizzards, organs and all), 48lbs of lamb hearts, and 40 lbs of boneless, skinless turkey thighs. I also have plenty of beef liver in the freezer for organs. If I feed this out over the next two months or so, will this be OK?

I usually buy plenty of beef and pork when I make the trip to buy in bulk, but couldn't on this trip because I couldn't get to that part of the city. I know I have been feeding raw for over 7 years, and I should know by now, but I have never NOT had red meats. This haul will last over 2 months for my 5 dogs.

Will this be Ok? Will Whole cornish hens, dark meat turkey, lamb hearts and beef liver be enough variety?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:39pm PST 
It might be more bone than is good for the dogs too, CGH is about 40% bone.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2685947/2
No bone in there but I assume there would be plenty of calcium and phosphorus. Low on iron, potassium and selenium, very low in zinc, magnesium, manganese and vitamin E in the amounts in the amount Max would get. The rest of the vitamins come up just fine, there is plenty of thiamine in there somewhere! Twice the copper needed but I didn't put in any CGH liver. Half other liver/half beef would be better. The only low nutrients I don't usually see when I check Max's diet are selenium, potassium and iron. Eggs would help out too.

Without redoing the recipe I suspect substituting some sort of kidney for half the beef liver would be a good idea. Fish oil or canned fish would be a big help improving the 10:1 omega 3:6 ratio and canned mackerel would add some selenium, potassium, magnesium and iron. Others may be just as good, you could look them up.
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 5:22am PST 
Well that's about the best answer I could have hoped for! Thanks Maxwell!

I can see that I will have to get some red meats. I am not comfortable feeding this without other meats. And, you are right, way too much bone.

I may just use up The Honest Kitchen that I have in the pantry. I like the food and it might round out the diet for now, until I get more meats.

Thanks again!
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 4:37pm PST 
I'll just put out there that two months of a poultry-heavy diet isn't going to harm anyone, so don't concern yourself over it too much! You're not even talking exclusively birds, what with the lamb hearts (nice and rich). Like Max pointed out, there are plenty of available go-tos like eggs and fish that can help round out the diet when you're feeling things are limited, and it sounds like you're fully aware of the importance of organs. Detrimental imbalance given a reasonable diet is going to require a bigger jolt than that, so relax and enjoy those whole chickies and gobble-gobble! Lamb hearts are a favorite in these parts, too.

dog
[notify]