GO!

What I thought would have been a great start to Cleo's new begnning ended up not being one :(

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 5:36am PST 
I need to vent about what should of been a good start to Cleo's new life..

So on Friday around 1:30pm my boyfriend and I were on our way to drop Cleo off at her new home. When we had arrived there, the new owner had her sister over. At first I was okay with it. Until her sister started talking and being a Mrs. Know it all. When we walked in she said "you don't have kids do you". I told her no, my dogs are my kids. In my head though i was thinking why does it matter to you whether i have kids or not? So we went into the living room and just watched Cleo interact with the new owners 3 pugs and her daughter. Her sister told her that Cleo wasn't going to be medium sized or large sized because she doesn't have the body structure or size to be one. I was thinking her paws are pretty big and not only that she is 13lbs at 8 weeks old. If she was a small breed she wouldn't be 13lbs at 8 weeks old. So she went on about how she's got a scruffy face and that she looked like she could be mixed with a Norwegian Elkhund. I sort of laughed in my head thinking Norwegian Elkhunds are actually hounds and not terriers and they're definitely not scruffy in the face. All I told her was that the mother of the pups was in fact a labrador so I know that she is at least a lab mix. And that she will most likely be the size of a lab. She gave me a snooty and dirty look. Then she told her sister "honey, you don't want this dog and you don't need this dog". She kept telling her this over and over Kind of like in a brain-washing manner. Which I thought was ridiculous. My thought was what if she really did want this dog? Your the sister you don't know what she wants and what she doesn't want. Well her sister said it so much that cleo's new owner turned her away and told us that she can't take cleo. We drove all the way across town to be told that she couldn't take Cleo. I was so upset. Because I was so ready to give cleo a great start to her new life. And I had also detached myself from Cleo. Now I'm back at square one where I'm cuddling her and loving on her, getting myself reattached. I guess in a sense though I'm glad she did it right when I was there and not a week or two later.

Now I am looking for a home for her once again. But this time my search is going to be advanced because I don't want to have cleo being turned away again.

On a lighter note. Her brother Ranger has become well suited in his new home. The owner texted me today and told me that they absolutely love him and that he's really playful. When we dropped him off that night he started chasing after their kids and their other dog and it just made me so happy that he was going to do well in his new home. The new owners are really nice. And I must say he's got it made for him. Every summer the family goes to the the Mother's families property where they have 20 acres of land. I know he will do well with them. They already had a crate, bed, toys, bowls and a collar for him. I forgot to bring a bag of food for him but the family had already gotten him the bag of food that I have been feeding him and his brother and sister. We had traded emails so she and I could talk back and forth and she could share pictures of him growing up.

Corona also is doing well and settling into his new home. My friend told me that he wears himself and her kids out lol. I guess he chases them all over the house and he has become great friends with one of their kittens. While I'm on the search for Cleo's new home I bring her over to see her brother every day..
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:00am PST 
Your pup lucked out of that potential lousey-- situation.If the new owners couldn't see your pup in a loving light--she needs to be put into a MUCH BETTER home, than these people offered her and back- tracked on.. As the pup is a mix--what did these people expect? I will tell you after having my pup insulted like that I would have left ANYWAY!!naughty I am protective of any pups born to me too--and people like that are a dime-a-dozen--you want winners for that pup--not anyone who can't appreciate the pup for everything she is. Do you accept a dog that you can't treasure? Well these people didn't see your pup in that light. She'll find a great owner--but don't let ANYONE the liberty of dissecting her again. You were truthful with what information that you had, about your pup's linage--you don't "owe" any more. If they wanted an AKC--don't look at mixed breeds!!! cry Worst of all, don't take a dog that you can't love!blue dog
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:55am PST 
Totally agree with everything Lincoln said..
And to play the devil's advocate, maybe the sister knew the girl's sitauation and knew the girl could not handle a(nother) dog. This may have been an impulse thing or a compassion thing on the girl's part when maybe she really could not handle it. Who knows.

In any case it would not have been a good fit and better to find out now then later..
[notify]

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 7:23am PST 
that's what I think of it now. Better that she told me while I was still there than 2 weeks later. But now I'm getting reattached to her which is something I should not be doing because I already have 4 dogs and the boyfriend says no more pets till we can get a bigger place with a yard. Which is understandable..

Lincoln - Idk if you have read any of my previous threads but Cleo and her brothers and sisters were dumped at the back door of the vet clinic I was doing my externships at for my veterinary technician program. 2 days prior of them being dumped the owner of the pups came in and told the receptionists that her 8 year old lab just had her 10th litter and they didn't want the pups anymore. The receptionist told her that all she would do and could do is call the kill shelter out here. So the owner took them back. Well the day they were were dumped the receptionist told me that this was the same litter that came in 2 days ago. She was going to call the shelter but instead I volunteered to take care of them till they were old enough to go to new homes. So I bottle fed them every 2 hours for the first 3 1/2 weeks of their life and then I weaned them myself.

Cleo's owner had contacted me when she was 5 weeks old about possibly adding her to the family. Then when Cleo was 7 weeks old she came to my grandmother's house to visit with the puppy and to see how the puppy would react to her daughter and her pugs. Everything went fine. She couldn't wait till she could bring Cleo home. She even wanted to bring her home a week early. I just think that the sister put too much of her 2 cents in. And I really didn't hear the lady ask her sister of what she thought.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:27am PST 
Cleo is lucky to have you. You are giving her love and attention until the RIGHT home comes along. Just let Cleo know that her visit was a quick one and that you're still looking for that perfect forever home. Be glad they called you right away - no harm done! meditate
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:43am PST 
they didn't call me. I drove for 30 minutes to drop cleo off and after being there for another 30 minutes the new owner told me she couldn't take cleo..

She's incredibly smart. She has figured out how to climb out of the exercise pen.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:52am PST 
Agree with all above.

I suspect even if they had taken Cleo... with the dreadful sister in tow ... Cleo would have either been sent back to you (confused and edgey) or.. worst case.. dumped at a shelter...

This was a lucky escape... next time... let the prospective guardians visit for at least two weeks... and well as all the other precautions you have put in place. If they care... if they visit SEVERAL times... and if they pass the rest of your tests.. then maybe Cleo has a new home.

Ranger's people could do it.. so can others.

You are in NO WAY to blame... you have been wonderful....

The right thing WILL happen.... whatever that may be.

hughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 10:20am PST 
I am so glad that you have such a good heart. Those little pups really lucked out in having you as their guardian. Don't worry--you and Cleo will find the perfect loving and enriching home she deserves.happy dance It might take more time, but you have taught each of these pups human love, and that makes for super dogs.cheer Someone with a good heart will fall in love with Cleo, and give her an awesome home. I always have believed that every kindness to any of our creatures, is one more feather in our "wings!" Kindness to animals is NEVER wasted! I have had some wonderful animals because of people like YOU! dog walk It was someone' kindness that brought Lincoln into my life!cloud 9
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:53pm PST 
Well I did have a contract for her to sign stating that if for any reason she cannot keep cleo she was to return cleo back to me to avoid her being put in the shelter, up for resale, or given away. And it was a notarized contract.

And I don't want to rush the time that she needs to find a home but I live in a small apartment because money troubles have fallen upon my boyfriend and I. And its hard to leave the apartment now that Cleo knows how to escape the ex-pen I used to keep her and her brothers in. Can't crate her because I only have one crate and that's where Luna has to go while we're out. Luna destroys the carpet or walls if left out of her crate. So I'm hoping the RIGHT perfect home will come by soon.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 3:28pm PST 
I hope the next person I get my next dog from is half as caring as you.

I know it is a setback when you had your hopes up, but even though the girl really did not ask for her sister's advice, the sister would likely have badgered the girl about taking on the dog until she succeeded in her getting rid of it, and from the sounds of the sister, the way Cleo may have been gotten rid of may not have been very nice, or at the very least, the sister (who likely visits often) would not be nice to the dog. So either way, it worked out best for the dog.. wink

If travelling is an issue, maybe have the person come your house, or meet half-way...?

Best wishes and positive thoughts for the next one to be a better follow up and forever home flowers
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2