GO!

Baby puppy questions

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jayde

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 8:59pm PST 
Hi allwave I have a few questions about 2 baby puppies. I had found these puppies outside with no mother or any other siblings around. They look to be around maybe 2 or 3 weeks? anyways i did go get some replacer for them, and they are eating that out of a bottle. they dont know how to drink out of a bowl yet. so i was wondering since they are sooo tiny(they fit in the palm of my hand)how long do i keep them on replacer? i did bring them to the vet and they look ok. vet guessed around the 2 to 3 week stage. the vet said to keep them on the bottle for another 3 weeks. so i was just wondering when i could start introducing them to bowl feedings or gruel? or soft food? any help would be greatly appreciated to those who have bottle raised babies or know anything
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 10:13pm PST 
Keep bottle feeding them until they are about 5 1/2 weeks old. Do you know how to make a gruel? The orpahned puppies I have now, I got when they were just 2 days old. So any questions you may have I will be able to help you the best I can.
[notify]
Jayde

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 10:22pm PST 
Mishka and Luna thanks for your help! I have been reading up on it on how to make gruel. some said to put the replacer and soft food and mix it? I will keep bottle feeding them just wanted to make sure. never have done this before and didnt want to leave them out there. I'm thinking they are a small breed just by how tiny they are.
[notify]

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 11:48pm PST 
They should be opening their eyes here shortly and will be getting their teeth. I think my puppies started getting their teeth when they were about 4 weeks old. What I did was put hard kibble in a blender. Put in the puppy replacer and let the kibble soak in it and then i added some baby rice cereal and grinded it. Each week I would decrease the amount of puppy replacement milk and make it chunkier. You can use wet food too.
[notify]
Jayde

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 6:50am PST 
Oh forgot to say their eyes are open already, but no teeth have come in yet. I will be def. contacting you for help if i need it big grin thank you
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 10:37am PST 
If their eyes are already open then their teeth aren't far from showing then. I think I noticed my puppies teeth showing at 4 - 4 1/2 weeks. If you put your finger (a clean finger) in their mouths you'll be able to tell if they have teeth or not.
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 6:33am PST 
Great feeding advice! Are the puppies going potty well on their own? If not you can rub them gently with a cotton ball soaked in warm water..Not too hot and it will stimulate them same as a mother licking them. Please keep us posted and thanks for saving the tiny furbabies!
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:42am PST 
Monnie - the puppies should be going potty by themselves. I know my orphan puppies were relieving themselves when they were 3 weeks old. But yes if they aren't pottying by themselves take a warm rag or a damp warm cotton ball to their genitals.

paw-mail me if you have any questions. My orphans are leaving me tomorrow. They go to their new homes. So I just went through what your going through. Although my orphans came to me when they were only 2 days old.
[notify]
Jayde

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 10:49am PST 
They do potty by themselves. I did feel for teeth and nothing yet, can feel little bumps, buth nothing has came through.

Mishka and Luna aww i'm sure you will miss them. I read your thread and your awesome. thanks for saving them and giving them a chance at life. I will be making them their pages pretty soon so you can see
[notify]
La La

The Chihuahua- Diaries

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 4:19pm PST 
Hi. I guess the little guys must be doing well. Forgot to check when you posted your questions. I always used to mix up the formula (warmed) with Gerber's Baby Cereal (Plain Rice flavor) to the consistency of soupy oatmeal. Then they wouldlearn to lick it off my finger, then out of the bowl. Later I would use a cofee grinder to grind the puppy kibble to a powder and mix that with the formula. Hope you are having good luck. wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3