GO!

Strangers and Dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 7:34pm PST 
The other day, the weirdest... well one of the weirdest, things ever happened. My fiance and I had Ria outside for a pee break and this random kid comes up and asks us, "Can I walk your dog?" to which, my fiance promptly replied, "I don't think so, no."

Anyone ever had STRANGERS come up and ask to walk your dog? These kids apparently went to my friends house and harassed her too, even though they KNOW her dog is very reactive with strangers. And they harassed her about it more than once, I'm lucky I only had them show up once.

Would you let a stranger, let alone a strange CHILD walk your dog? Personally, I wouldn't, even if they were doing it around the neighborhood for money. Why? My dog is reactive, my dog is a puller, and I would not feel my dog was SAFE in the hands of these kids. These are kids who I've frequently seen walking with a little bichon/shih-tzu mix that they end up dropping the leash of, and chasing him/her ALL over the field and townhouses. Not to mention, why would I want my dog to be walked with and SURROUNDED by large groups of children, particularly when I don't know how they would treat my dogs? Gah... silenced

I don't even let my nine year old brother, or twelve year old sister walk my dogs without me RIGHT there. And those are my own siblings...

There's already a few problems I have with my neighborhood - kids were not taught manners when it comes to approaching strange dogs, and everyone with a small dog lets them run around off leash, without any control over said dog whatsoever.

When Ria was here for her first week, a whole group of girls around ten, were walking towards us. So I immediately grabbed my dogs to try to haul them in the house. The girls SURROUNDED us at my steps, scaring the crap out of my puppy, and making Charlie go nuts, and they hadn't even asked to pet them. I was FURIOUS. I ended up saying, right before any of them could touch my dogs, "Excuse me, I'm going to make a suggestion. Next time, ASK to pet a persons dog, particularly dogs you don't know. What if my dogs were biters? One of you could have been bit, because I was trying to take them inside and you girls didn't give us space."

They didn't learn, to say the least. If I had had Maya at the time, she would have likely tried to have bite one of them, but luckily, I had two friendly dogs, one of which was a pup that got quite the fright and I had to just hope and pray that it didn't backfire on any socializing I planned to do(several months later and she's fine, btw).

So, yeah... I've had some weird experiences with strangers and my dogs. I even had a guy try to tell and SHOW me how to 'train' my dog how to walk on a leash properly, using Cesar Milan tactics. Sigh.

I also had a neighbor say "Poor Charlie" to the fact he's always on a leash. Yet we live in Bunny Heaven.

Edited by author Wed Aug 29, '12 7:36pm PST

[notify]
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 7:45pm PST 
I have... I did let a kid to it once. Blue needed to get a little more exercise anyway, lol. I was at the park, so I let the girl take her and run around a little. I probably shouldn't have, but at the same time, I don't get the chance to socialize the dogs with children too often (they had and have been, but reinforcement is always good in between) so I let them. They seemed like nice kids, and seemed pretty tolerant of her jubilant behavior. dog walk
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:03pm PST 
I've only ever had them ask to pet, not walk. I still am careful, very much so. My girl can be protective, and is picky of who she likes. A crowd of kids storming up to her is not something I want to see. She's nothing but sweet with people that she's accepted, but yeah. Those few moments at first I'm always careful with.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:16pm PST 
I wouldn't let an adult walk my dog, let alone a kid. JT is just too strong, it would end in tears.

When I was a kid though (about 10) I used to walk the neighbour's pom, and my friend (who owned the dogs) would walk the other one, a pomchi. We used to take them to the park and play. The worst thing that ever happened to us was we put the pomchi on the slide and she panicked and ran into the road, nearly got ran over, and took off home. But miraculously enough we never got rushed at by other dogs or anything like that.

That was Australia in the 90s though, all.kids used to walk their dogs or neighbors dogs alone.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:39pm PST 
The kids in your neighborhood are the opposite of the kids in my neighborhood.
If a kid approaches me with Moose (or Mikey) they always ask before they pet him. If it looked like they weren't going to ask, their parent is quick in making them ask first.

Weirdest thing that's happened to me was one night I was walking Mikey and 4 people (adults) were walking towards us and stopped to fawn over Mikey. One gal was just flipping out about him and said, "if you ever need a dog sitter, I'd happily do it".
Of course I didn't take it seriously since I didn't know her, but I'm sure if I pressed her on it, we could have made a deal.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:59pm PST 
We had a group of kids who would go around and ask people to walk their dogs.. then they'd get bored and leave them to roam the streets. silenced They'd steal cats too, and then go around door to door asking if the person owned them (of course, they stole them out of their yard..) and then try to wiggle a 'reward' out of them.

They're psycho I swear.

Edit: However no, I wouldn't ever let someone walk Nare. Not even the BF has that privileged. He isn't reactive and he doesn't pull, but he'll take advantage of everyone and be stubborn. Too much work to train someone to handle him, I'd rather do it myself lol.

Edited by author Wed Aug 29, '12 9:02pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 9:11pm PST 
I had someone say the same thing to me, Moose. A lady at the park was in love with four month old Onyx and told me to call her if I ever needed a dog sitter, in addition to wanting one of his puppies if I ever bred him. Even if I felt comfortable leaving him in the care of anyone but family, I'd be afraid she would steal him.

No, I wouldn't let someone else walk my dog, unless it was someone I knew and I was right there with them the whole time. Only exception is when we switch dogs in obedience class, but he's still in my sight at all times.

Edited by author Wed Aug 29, '12 9:13pm PST

[notify]
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 9:27pm PST 
Oh yeah, good point... in my case I was there the whole time and we stayed int he small park... I would never let a kid who walked up and knocked do that, oh HELZ no... I would think they were trying to scout the place lol. There's nice pockets of neighborhood around here, but snug up against not so nice parts. My dogs are friendly, but are protective of the property, and I like it that way... the fence goes around the whole house, so people won't get on the property in the first place, unless I let them in. The dogs do not let people come in unless they have met them on several occasions, before that it's always proper introductions, then you could wrestle with them and they would lick you to death. Thank god... I hate solicitors too.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 11:50pm PST 
NOT ON MY LIFE!!! we don't vacation or travel anywhere because even though I have ADULT family members that the dogs adore,and I know would do their very best to take excellent care of my dogs,I also know my dogs and would expect them to take full advantage of the fact that my sister and my daughter are both suckers who would allow Mika and Kai to walk all over them. I would certainly never trust either of them in the hands of a stranger,they wouldn't listen and could not tell me if they were treated well or badly and anything could go wrong. Very few people were permitted to babysit my human daughter,and she could talk. I think I would be even pickier about who I trust with my dogs because they can't.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 12:39am PST 
Kids are impulsive and direct. Especially teenagers. Walking a dog is fun and a healthy activity and they may want a dog and not have one. I probably wouldn't let anyone walk Kody (and I could only consider it if they looked very strong) for fear of their running off with him, but I wouldn't think it was strange if a kid asked to. I'd probably say you can let him chase your around the yard or something instead.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3