GO!

Putting it out there- Nutro Limited Ingredient Grain Free is another option for sensitive tummies

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 8:07pm PST 
Hello, wave

We started feeding Nutro Limited Ingredient Grain Free on advice from another friend on here with reflux issues. So far, smaller stools than on Natural Balance, seems to taste pretty good and is reasonably priced. For a long time I felt guilt about buying from a big company, but when you have a sick dog, you have to expand your options. So, we have added it into our rotation and so far so good. Meat/fish are the first ingredients, which was a welcome sight to see. It would be awesome if they made more flavors- they have venison, fish and turkey choices now. Just wanted to put it out there. It is RUFF when you have reflux!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:49am PST 
Glad it's working for you. I know many are hesitant and afraid to feed their pets Nutro because of the recalls. I used to eat Nutro a few years ago and I did okay with it, but once we had the recalls I chose not to eat it.

Again, glad it's working for ya
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:04am PST 
Just as a FYI the recalls hit almost all of the pet food companines back in 2007 and involved those cans made by the Menu Food company. Nutro built their own canning facility right after that recall and they now make and manufacture all of their products in their own plants here in the United States. They go through 600 quality checks a day and track where all of their ingredients come from. Pets and their parents are very important to them. They have also taken out ingredients that have been controversial to the consumers to make their product a balanced nutritional natural product.

NC Grain Free is a great product that I have given to my Grey with sensitive issues. One carb and one protein source helps her digestive issues.
[notify]

Tiara

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 3:48pm PST 
We have had good luck with the nutro products also when it comes to sensitive tummies. I am glad it worked for you also.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 3:50pm PST 
We have had good luck with the nutro products also when it comes to sensitive tummies. I am glad it worked for you also.
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 10:29pm PST 
Jasper, can you share which "flavors" you have tried?

And have you been able to get coupons from the Nutro website? Their " Natural Choice " food coupons apply to the grain free formulas.
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 10:37pm PST 
Recalls are very scary...especially after the terrible effect of the Menu Foods related recall of 2007. I think Nutro learned some painful and very important lessons back in 2007, but they did learn and have made important changes. As someone else already shared, their foods are now produced exclusively in Nutro owned/operated facilities. And quality and safety isn't just an advertising slogan...please note this recent press article from the American Feed Industry Association (AFIA), related to a new inspection/certification program for pet food production:

First Pet Food Manufacturing Facility Certification Program Certificates Issued

12 Jul 2012

by: Leslie Malone
ARLINGTON, Va., July 12, 2012 -- The American Feed Industry Association (AFIA) is pleased to announce that Eurofins Scientific Inc. (ESI), an independent third-party auditor, has issued the first three Pet Food Manufacturing Facility Certification Program certificates. This voluntary, third-party facility certification program is designed specifically for companies manufacturing pet food or pet food ingredients. The Pet Food Manufacturing Facility Certification Program (PFMFCP) and the Pet Food Ingredient Facility Certification Program (PFIFCP) were developed by AFIA’s pet food and quality committees with input from third-party food safety experts.

These two certification programs build upon AFIA’s domestic Safe Feed/Safe Food Certification Program which was launched in 2004 for the feed industry. The new programs are designed to monitor the process controls specifically related to the manufacturing of pet food and should meet and in some parts exceed the anticipated requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act. AFIA is seeking FDA recognition of these programs and encourages FDA to use these programs in their risk assessment of the industry for inspection priorities.

“AFIA sees these programs as a model for the entire pet food industry,” explained Joel G. Newman, AFIA’s president and CEO. “The third-party audit follows principles laid out in both the FDA’s current Good Manufacturing Practices as well as the basic principles of HACCP.”

The first Pet Food Manufacturing Facility Certification Program certificates have been issued and granted to The Nutro Company’s Kansas City, Mo., Victorville, Calif., and Lebanon, Tenn. facilities by ESI.

------------
You can read more about AFIA certification at:
http://www.afia.org/AFIA/NewsAndPress/NewsReleases/2012Archived NewsReleases/2012SingleNewsPage/12-07-12/first_pet_food_manufacturin g_facility_certification_program_certificates_issued.aspx
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 11:54am PST 
Hello!
Thanks for the responses!

We have tried the fish and the turkey. The turkey seems to be the favorite. The venison is not available in small bites, which Jasper prefers. I emailed the company to ask if they will carry venison in small bites, so far no answer. They had it on sale at our local Pet Club and they did honor the $3.00 off coupon from the Nutro website. It was a very good deal. Since we eat LID only now, I notice grains produce a lot of gas in Jasper's belly, so we avoid them now all together. We also have to eat low protein/low fat because reflux is really effected by rich foods. Many grain free LID are not available low protein/low fat. I wish more were. We are rotating between this brand and Natural balance- which is not a favorite. Jasper will only eat the duck and bison flavors and prefers small bite sized kibble. The only thing I don't like so far about Nutro is the slow response to emails from the customer service department about flavors. I have yet to call, so perhaps that is the best way to reach them. Anyway, it's a good option and I am happy they make all their own food and seem to be making some very good ingredient changes to some of their foods.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 10:24pm PST 
Jasper, the only small bites formulas we had heard about so far were the turkey and potato...but if we hear anything about the vennison we will bark it out!
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 6:48pm PST 
We tend to avoid national brands in favor of small companies. Nutro is a Mars subsidiary, so no. Might as well feed royal canin or pedigree. Made by Simmons pet also, so double no.

Nutro is still one of those foods that has a shady track record in testing, food content and recall. They are hopping on LID as a consumer market, I think. Marketing and all rather than genuinely concerned about the content.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2