GO!

You didn't get a puppy...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 10:25am PST 
You got a Land Shark.

Who knew that when you got a puppy, you were signing your soul away to own a shark. Seriously. A shark that can live out of water - on land, with four legs. This Land Shark still retains its insanely sharp teeth to make up for having fewer of them, and takes every opportunity to remind you of its simple-minded-biteyness.

“You’re walking? MUST… BITE..” It will wrap its front legs around your legs, hold you in place and bite whatever it can reach – usually your ankles as the Land Shark is usually small and young.

“That isn’t a toy. IT’S PREY!” It determines that this prey needs nothing more than to be shredded. Fear this Land Shark.

“Those aren’t cords. They’re snakes! I’ll protect you!” Those snakes need to be destroyed for the safety of everyone in the home. Seriously. The contradiction of said Land Shark protecting you by disemboweling those ‘snakes’ while still chewing your ankles is the ultimate wtf.

Give this Land Shark trouble, and you’re instantly determined to be the enemy. “I saved you from those snakes and you want to discipline me? WARFACE.” This warface is the ultimate threat. They show you their shark teeth!

Each moment of the Land Shark’s existence is spent shredding prey, disemboweling dangers, and threatening you, the enemy. And if that wasn’t enough, Land Shark enjoys getting back at you by leaving messes all over the place.

“HAHA. TAKE THAT. AND THAT.” To which you find little puddles of yellow stuff and when you look around for Land Shark, they are hiding, snickering away in that quiet way of theirs while you clean up their pee. “Now who’s trained who?!”

But as soon as you have food of any sort, be prepared for Land Shark to tackle you with every bit of lovingness possible. “You haz food?! Share food? I LOVE YOU. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I’m starved! I’m neglected! I need foooooddd!” And they’ll be dramatic about it too, because if jumping around doesn’t work, they’ll start crawling around low to the ground, tail wagging as hard as can be, while the Land Shark pleads with those eyes and utter cuteness. “Buy into my cuteness, human!”

Land Shark gobbles up food. Land Shark takes pleasure in tormenting the other animals of the household. Land Shark will walk all over you, literally. Land Shark is the ultimate cuteness that has sharp shark-teeth that shred EVERYTHING. Be warned, Land Shark does have a teething phase! And then everything is fair game!

Be prepared. When you get a puppy, you sign up for a Land Shark.

Just my reflections on the life of living with a Land Shark.

In all seriousness? Most of these Land Shark behaviors have disappeared. But it was amusing to reflect back on them.

Anyone else get a Land Shark instead?
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 11:16am PST 
o.O *jaws theme music*

My view of puppies have been forever changed. Now I might always stick with adult rescues.
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 12:14pm PST 
Funny! I'm always telling Sun "no shark teeth!" lol
[notify]

Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 12:22pm PST 
Lol love it!! Tia had a brief Land Shark phase, but now has morphed into a Mina bird. She steals/collects everything she can carry lol
[notify]
Crash Davis

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 12:50pm PST 
big laugh Land Shark, that's awesome!!

I remember Lenny's land shark phase, it wasn't quite that terrible since we got him at 6 months, but still! Very very true!

We recently adopted a 3.5 year old boy and it's so nice not dealing with a Land Shark haha
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 3:06pm PST 
Bwahaha.. One of Nare's first tricks as a puppy was to circle his 'prey'.
The cue was "Sharky Time!"
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 4:10pm PST 
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh My "Land Shark" has just about out grown his 'Land Shark" behaviors. big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Edited by author Sun Aug 5, '12 4:15pm PST

[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 7:05pm PST 
Thank goodness they grow out of it! I'm still baring the scar on my cheek from when 9 week old Lizzie thought it would be fun to bite my eye, and when Hunter was about 10 weeks old I was laying on the ground and he came up and bit my nose.

I love puppies, but those shark teeth can do some damage!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 12:12pm PST 
LOLLOLLOLbig laughbig laughbig laugh You nailed it on the head, I'm not sure why but I love land sharks and actually miss the sharkieness when I take in an adult.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:43pm PST 
Puppies are my kryptonite! I have successfully found, fostered, and re-homed adult dogs, but I cannot say no to a puppy (hence I have 7 dogs). It's something about those sweet little faces and that intoxicating puppy breath that gets me every time.

A little OT but have any of you watched the show "Too Cute" on Animal Planet? It's a show that follows litters of puppies and kittens from around 1 week to when they go to their forever families at about 12 weeks. I have actually caught my self in tears watching those puppies!

Shark teeth or no shark teeth puppies melt me. big hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3