GO!

Beneful dog food may be killing dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 7:48pm PST 
Beneful is my least favorite dog food brand. I think the ingredients are some of the worst. Am I allowed to say that?

There are rumors and complaints about this dog food causing seizures and death. Consumer affairs has a lot of reports of people who experienced very similar health problems with their dogs. Some of their pets died.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/beneful.html

I am not aware of any recalls. Is this happening? Is Purina sweeping this under the rug? I saw another post about seizures on the dog food advisory site. Someone said their maltese dog had seizures after eating this food.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food- dry/
[notify]
Lady- (1999-2013)

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 9:41am PST 
I have heard similar things about Beneful. I've never fed it and it is definitely a lower quality food. As for Purina "sweeping it under the rug"... I wouldn't be too surprised. They are doing the same thing with the jerkey treats that are killing dogs.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 12:59pm PST 
I posted this on the Beneful facebook page, they deleted it. There are people posting about the same symptoms on the facebook page for Beneful. I troll it. I also posted the link on my facebook page. I don't think all these people are lying. I think since the company aint doing nothin about it, the word needs to be spread by dog people.

Beneful is not even close to meeting my standards. Milton is safe. If this is true it does make Diamond look better. At least they are not hiding the problems with their products and are being honest with consumers.

Edited by author Mon Jul 23, '12 3:50pm PST

[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 1:44pm PST 
Yet another thing that does not surprise me.

And people wonder why I buy expensive food, or make food for my dogs. If I cannot trust a company with my dog's health and LIFE, I will not give them any business whatsoever.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 3:21pm PST 
I was told by a couple that gave their dog beniful, that the sugar in the food caused the dog to become a diabetic. I checked and it did have alot of sugar in it. I have never been a fan of anything that is made by purina. And I would never even think of anyone of my dogs eating beneful. I am sorry for the people that have lost dogs or dogs that have become sick from it.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 5:38am PST 
I have not heard of any recalls of Beneful at this point either. We do have to be careful as well about what we read on the internet. I personally will not feed my dogs Purina either it from the ingredients listed on the bag is just not a product I would care to use,there seems to be alot of sugar,fat,fillers,and in most cases soy. Akitas and soy do not mix. I am very careful what I choose to feed my furkids,make my own treats and believe you often get what you pay for. If a 25-30 pound bag is around $12-$15 how good can it be?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:11am PST 
I haven't heard anything so far myself, but I won't feed it because Charlie is epileptic and it does make his seizures worse(they last longer, and they're more severe) due to the preservatives and other things in it. I feed a higher quality now, with some Rescue Remedy in his dinner to keep the seizures at bay.

Actually.. it was funny. My MIL was trying to discuss finances with me(my finances are really none of her business) and she ended up saying, "I feed my dogs Beneful and it's just as healthy as the expensive crap you buy." to which I told her, "I've had Charlie on Beneful before, and it made his seizures worse."

She said, "Dogs have seizures?" silenced

I left the argument at that point entirely. No sense arguing with a naive woman who doesn't bother to educate herself.

I'll stick to healthier food thanks. smile
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 9:31am PST 
I'm always a little wary of "X food is killing dogs" stories since the 2007 recalls. As bad as they truly were, and as many dogs were legitimately harmed by the food itself, there were just as many people with dogs who had preexisting or unrelated conditions and jumped on the bandwagon simply to have somewhere to direct their grief and anger.

It seems there's now an idea that if you only feed the right food the right way, no harm shall come to your dog. In fact, dogs often just get sick from bad genes, or for no particular reason at all. There is no food-based reason to the fact that I've already lost one client to lymphoma this year - not even 2 years old - and another was just diagnosed at 8 months. All the grain-free, nutritionist-balanced homecooked, and raw food in the world would not have and will not save them - although it may prolong and improve their quality of life.

That being said, I completely believe Beneful kills dogs on a regular basis, the same way McDonalds would kill people on a regular basis if there weren't so much anti-fast food propaganda around... But it's not a fair argument in court because it takes too long for side effects to show up.

Unless there is something heavily toxic in a recent batch of Beneful, so that owners are trying the food or opening a new bag and their dog immediately begins having seizures, nothing will come of this. They also have to be recording the batch numbers and sending food samples to independent labs for testing - which few people actually do.

In that sense, yes, Purina is sweeping things under the rug - the food is crap and they must know it. They aren't actually doing anything illegal tho, so it falls to us as consumers to be wary of advertising and do our best to educate others.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 9:47am PST 
Chocolate,
Just so you know in the future read the guidelines for the forum. You are going to have your post deleted or given a bath.
[notify]
Sophie

Of course I am a- pampered- princess

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:29pm PST 
Beneful caused my dogs to break out with all sorts of skin irritations. Back to Natures Recipe and Nutro for them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8