GO!

Bizarre vomiting problem

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:10am PST 
Well, maybe vomit isn't the right word for it.. "spit up", is more accurate. Poor Desmond has had this problem his whole life, it's nothing harmful to him, just inconvenient at worst. Spitting up occasionally is just part of being a dog, from what I've noticed in my few years working closely with them, but not at this rate.

He spits up pretty much every day, often several times a day. It's just a little bit, like a burp that went awry. Always clear, slightly mucous-like liquid. It doesn't seem to affect him nearly at all. Sometimes he'll be running and just put his head off to the side to go "Blech!" and spit up some water, and keep on running like nothing happened. It's like he's spittin' a lougie, a bit, haha.

Well, it's not such a problem when he's outside and just ran after drinking too much water, but when he's inside and spits up like 4 times throughout the day... the carpet takes a bit of a beating. At first I was horribly concerned, but when I realized it was linked to him drinking too much water too fast, I was able to taper the problem a tad. Now, me saying "Don't drink too much, hun" is a more frequent command than "sit"! Every time I hear him lapping up water I have to widen my ears to stop him when I feel he's had enough, and by encouraging him to lay down after drinking a lot I have been able to help the problem a little bit.

Regardless, even if we have the thing under a smidge of control, he still spits up! Just before I started writing this, he was laying down to sleep next to the fireplace and just spit up on himself. He looked really embarrassed since he'd woken himself up, and I felt a bit bad for him. I know he can't control this.

I've always wondered WHY this happens to him. Other than drinking water too quickly, obviously, what is causing this bizarre affliction? The folks of Dogster are more educated than I am in canine health, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Since it's not an urgent issue, I don't feel like dropping the cash on another useless vet visit, but it sure would be nice to know if anyone else's dog has this problem. It would be very appreciated if I could better understand my baby's problem! I'd love to help fix it for good.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:42am PST 
Have you taken him to the vet and asked about this before?

I now Rocky chucks up quite a bit but it's usually just after the beach when he tries to eat too much of the sea...

Have you tried to regulare the amount of water he drinks? For example, does he always have access to water? If so, maybe you could try letting him drink every hour or so. Sometimes drinking water can become a bit of an obsession and therefore, need to be regulated...

Does he eat a lot of grass?

Is it sudden or does he gag a bit before he throws up?

Sorry about the load of questions but I'm just trying to build a better picture... The most important one though is, what does the vet say?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:51am PST 
I would certainly ask the vet about it,there are a number of things that can cause this such a drinking too much too fast while playing or running but it could also be a form og gastric reflux or a not so good valve at the top of the stomach,that fails to keep down what goes down. Even if the problem itself does not seem serious I would personally be afraid it is causing some serious and unnecessary damage and would want it checked out. Hopefully someone can offer you more options or better advice.wishes
[notify]

Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:46am PST 
Oh yeah, I've mentioned it to the vet loads of times and they've been as unhelpful as ever. Actually, I've asked multiple vets if they had an explanation for it, and each one has shown me their expert training in providing vague, useless answers to questions which won't result in a prescription charge... They've mostly avoided the question and said "If it gets worse, bring him in I guess", which is... obvious.

The whole thing's been going on most of his life, it fluctuates in severity. Some weeks he will hardly spit at all, other weeks it's 3 times a day until I regulate his water intake so intently that I feel like I'm depriving him of hydration, which is no good. I may just be worrying myself about that one, though, as he's never once shown signs of dehydration or exhaustion or any ill effects from this spitty condition. It's just a bit icky for everyone, I think.

Rocky, I've been regulating his water intake for years, but only with vocal commands. He listens really well, backs right off the bowl when I say "That's enough" or "don't drink too much". He doesn't drink excessively fast, or excessively often. There's no warning prior to upchuck, even for him! He's surprised himself multiple times, in fact, haha. He doesn't eat grass, but he'll nibble on it if we're playing outside and he's REALLY riled up! He likes grabbing onto stuff when he gets hyper, like a toy or a ball, and if we're outside he'll try to grab the grass. (: He overall a really healthy dog, though. Active, happy, eats a great food (Orijen), has fantastic eye, ear, skin/coat, & dental health, good stools, etc.

Mika&Kai, gastric reflux sounds likely. It never occurs with food though, I mean unless a spare bite or two comes up with the water, but that's only if he's eaten AND drank too quickly right after. Do you think it is a problem with the structure of his stomach/esophagus?
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 11:18am PST 
Hmmm, do you spray anything in the house? I know some dogs can have reactions household sprays and this can cause them to cough, choke up liquids...

It can also be a symptom of kennel cough but since kennel cough usually passes after a few weeks, I doubt that's the problem...

It could also be reflux gastritis...

Does he seem to do it at certain points of the day? For example, first thing in the morning? After exercise?

If I were you though, I'd be worried about the long term damage it could be doing to her throat or insides.

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 11:23am PST

[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:49pm PST 
reflux doesn't just happen with food. reflux can happen at any time or all the time, though the more noticble times are like a nervous or anxious time, car rides, empty stomach, full stomach, has to do his business, a week after heartworm pills. . .taggert is pretty high strung and nervous. Poodles also tend to be that way too from what I know of them. also know that poodles are prone to stomach problems: reflux, cancers, ulcers, bloat in the standards ones.

taggert gets it in the morning occasionally. Just sometimes decides to throw up in the bed. Always IN THE BED. This morning he chucked right at husband's back. all over him and the sheets. Then he went for round 2 but we were awake and got him to the mats where he could puke without much trouble. I took him outside to pee and poo and he is just fine now. No trouble. ate all of his breakfast like a champ

Morning reflux is quite common, if annoying. we're just glad he is not bigger

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 1:04pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 1:14pm PST 
We had a aimilar problem with Chance when feeding kibble but she only did it after eating.

Never vomit but usually mucousy-clear liquid with food in it and maybe some white foam. If she had wet food mixed in, the mucous may be stained the color of the wet foods.

Sometimes the food was balled up in the mucous, sometimes just mixed in with the mucous, sometimes a lot of food, sometimes just mainly mucous.

Could happen anywhere from immediately after eating to 30 minutes later.
Always happened if we did not float the kibble in water.

Worse during allergy season - sometimes every day.
In the winter mainly when we went from dry to wet or wet to dry.

Vets had no answer other than post-nasal drip caused by her pollen allergies upsetting her stomach and to give allergy meds and/or Pepcid AC.
Neither helped.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:22am PST 
I would certainly have the physical structures checked. As others have stated reflux does not always have to do with food,depending on the dog or person for that matter triggers can be different. My human sister has a condition called gastro paresis where her stomach doesn't empty as quickly as it should normally,and it involves nerve damage to the structure of the valve in the lower part of her stomach,not getting the signal that her stomach is in fact full,which sets off her reflux. Due to the damage that stomach acids can cause to other structures I would certainly investigate it a bit from the physical side just to be sure.hugwishes
[notify]
Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 11:20pm PST 
Thanks for the great answers guys!! Man, it's nice to hear some informed and helpful responses! smile I'll look further into it and be sure nothing is causing long term damage to my baby.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:58am PST 
I second Mika & Kai about having it checked. In the meantime, aloe juice (from a health food store) may help and definitely won't hurt. In small amounts, 1-2 tablespoons 3X day, it is supposed to sooth the esophagus and stomach. In much larger amounts (4+ tablespoons at a time) it can act as a laxative. I know several people who use it instead of prescription meds for stomach ulcers and reflux. I also know several dogs that are on it long-term. I keep it on hand for Scooter and used it for several months after he had HGE.
[notify]