GO!

My dogs hate smooth fox terriers?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Nikko

I am Nikko, pay- attention to- meeeeee!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 6:08pm PST 
Well, hate might be too strong of a word, but there are a couple of what I think are smooth fox terriers that are walked by our house occasionally that my two boys will go absolutely bonkers over. They will start furiously clawing at our large front window & be crying & whining & barking & growling, all at the same time! They don't do this when any other types of dogs walk by, it's just this particular type of dog that they go crazy over. It's especially bad when we happen to encounter them when we're out walking, which thankfully is very rarely. I'm not sure what's going on with them.

Why this particular type of dog? Somebody said that it's because dogs think these terriers are cats, but my dogs definitely don't act this badly when they see cats. thinking
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 7:02pm PST 
I'm unsure of why exactly, but just to add my "experience" with this....

All 3 of my dogs very strongly dislike German Shepherds (specifically traditional saddle-back marked ones).
Not sure why, but any interaction with them is typically unpleasant for my dogs, even if the GSD is acting perfectly fine. However, they tend to more or less avoid interaction with them altogether opposed to clawing to get to them.

Again not sure why, but just wanted to say you're not alone in the "breedist" dogs laugh out loud
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 7:23pm PST 
Lizzie hates saddle-backed GSDs too! It stems from one particular one we saw at the dog park. The lady would drive up with him hanging out the window barking like crazy, he would come in crazy, and then she wouldn't let him socialize- just made him walk laps with her around the perimeter of the park. That started last year, now Lizzie barks and lunges at most GSDs she sees...

Sarah is afraid of huskies, because she was beat up by one. She's getting better about that, but still is on edge.

It's funny how quickly and permanently dogs learn some things!
[notify]

Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:46pm PST 
Teddy *hates* adolescent yellow labs. This is a dog who will let most puppies and dogs basically jump all over him and act rudely, but if he even sees a yellow adolescent lab, he FREAKS. I cannot figure out why he has his strong aversion!! So weird.

And hi Nikko, my fellow Seattle friend wink
[notify]
In Memory of CodyDunnit

Give me rats or- give me death!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:50pm PST 
Cody used to hate Boxers. He had one that dragged him around the dog park by his harness once and that was it. We could not even by in the other lane racing in flyball if there was a boxer running against him. So far none of the dogs I have now have breed biases, not clue how to overcome it, we just made sure he was not running at the same time the Boxer in the other lane was running. As he got older he did start to get over it and we could actually be around them on leash and he would not go postal when he saw one.
[notify]
Nikko

I am Nikko, pay- attention to- meeeeee!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 3:15pm PST 
I don't think either of my boys have had a negative experience with fox terriers, so I'm not sure what their beef is. Maybe they don't like the way they walk, all perky & confident? Maybe because they've never been able to meet one up close (gee, I wonder why)? Weird.

Hi Teddy! I thought you looked familiar!
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 5:11am PST 
I have a bitch that HATES terriers. We can't walk by them at a show, she will stop dead and not pass them, we have to go far around them. mostly Schnauzer of any size variety, shes been bitten by a kerry blue, or any bearded terrier shes is terrified of
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 10:41am PST 
There must be something, either about these specific dogs (and/or their owners), small dogs in general, or terriers in general.

Figuring it out kinda depends on your dog's individual socialization. Not uncommon for large dogs to view all small dogs as prey, especially if they haven't really been around small dogs. Usually there's a size cut off, so a dog may be ok with any dog over 30lb, and hunt any dog under 30lb. It can be behaviorally based too, though. When I was socializing Ember, she had not been with small dogs at all. Once we had slowly introduced her dogs 30lb, then 25lb, then 20lb, etc down to a Chihuahua, she quickly generalized and understood that some dogs are small - EXCEPT for when they didn't act "like dogs." If they were appropriate, sniffed her, offered play, all was well. If they yapped in her face, ran away, rolled around, ignored her, she had a difficult time figuring out what to do with them.

It's also possible they just don't like terriers. They have an energy and a drive to them that some dogs find unsettling (interestingly, it's quite common for terriers to not like eachother for this reason). We did live with a Smooth Fox for a few years, and while my dogs were ok with her and vice versa, if a strange dog came by the house she would get so jacked up she would attack her smaller housemates to the point of hospitalization. Some dogs pick up on that drive and just don't trust a dog that has that in them.

And it could be these particular dogs or their owners that have done something your crew has found offensive. I have known dogs who distrust an entire family over the odd or violent actions of one member of that family, dog and human alike.
[notify]