GO!

Niper.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Rosie

LETS PLAY!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 5:30am PST 
I am a 4 month old puppy. I lovvveee to chew! That includes my families fingures and grabbing on their clothing and pulling. What can my family do to help me learn this is NOT ok behavior?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 8:32pm PST 
Hi wave
Chewing and biting is puppy's natural way of exploring the world and its new environment. It's important not to get upset, punish, yell, etc, as that does not help Rosie learn what behavior IS desired.

Many pups tend to nip when they become excited, so if you notice she gets into an excited, nipping state, ignore her until she is calm, and then reward her with attention/treat/pets.

I have found that redirecting the nipping and chewing behavior on to acceptable items (fun toy, a safe chew, etc) and then praising works best. This will help her learn what behavior is acceptable.

Also keep in mind a tired puppy is likely to be better-behaved (temporarily laugh out loud ) as well.

Good luck! Rosie is adorable.
smile

Edited by author Tue Mar 27, '12 8:33pm PST

[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 8:46pm PST 
I agree with Farley. Also, I have found with Tia that the more tired she is, the less she is inclined to bite. She goes for short pack walks with Sita & dogs that I know are healthy, we do some training, I let her do doggy puzzles & she wrestles with Sita.
[notify]

Rosie

LETS PLAY!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:23am PST 
Rosie is a bundle FULL of energy LOL. She does not tire. I took her for an hour walk she spent the next three hours running around the house chasing her toys, growling and barking at the toys and just being a bundle full of energy.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 10:35am PST 
Have you tried any basic training with Rosie yet? At 4 months old she may not have a super long attention span so you'd have to keep sessions fairly short, but I too have a very high energy dog (he's 6 now but just as energetic as when he was a pup). I have found that lengthy physical exercise doesn't even tire him out the way training does.
For a satisfied pooch, sometimes physical excercise alone isn't enough. Try some mental stimulation and see how that goes.
[notify]