GO!

Salmon oil or Fish oil capsules

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 4:55am PST 
For those that feed Salmon or Fish oil, do you use capsules or liquid in a bottle? I have been using liquid in bottles, and want to switch to capsules. My question is: Do the dogs digest the capsule or do you poke a hole in the capsule and squirt it on the meat? I no longer use anything ground, even on sale. All meat chunks. Getting harder to hide the oil. Eatng the oil this way gives them all horrible "fish mouth". (tough for kissing!).
And, which brand do you buy? Human supplements or dog supplements?
Thanks as always everyone!!!

I am upping my dose for Feather too, her body is failing her, but she is so darn healthy. Hard to see her joints and legs fall apart, and at the same time, she is healthier than ever from raw feeding. Beautiful coat and skin, bright clear eyes, all lab work well within normal limits, including her organs, all functioning perfectly. Go figure...
I don't know what else to do for her. I think I need to find a "serious Geriatric raw feeding" group. wink
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:53am PST 
Are you giving enough salmon oil? A therapeutic dose is one fish oil capsule (1000mg) per 10 pounds. So an 80 pound dog, for example, would get 8 capsules! That's a LOT! I bet most people underestimate how much their dog really needs and don't give enough.

I know people who snip the end and drain them on food or a raw egg. I also know people whose dogs think they are a treat and they take the capsule readily and eat it. Some people give them as a bedtime snack (no fish kisses if they are going to sleep for the night). way to go

I used to buy the Grizzly brand salmon oil and I have used Platos as well. I recently used that up and decided to just get the stuff for people. Probably has better quality control. I just get what is on sale or buy one get one free. Try to find one without soy (mixed tocopherols) as some dogs can be sensitive to soy. (Brody isn't but some dogs are).

I usually alternate between regular fish oil capsules for people and the krill oil (mega red). I also use a bit of coconut oil and a little bit of vitamin E now and then. Everyone remarks on Brody's skin coat. He shines like a mirror. It's quite fabulous. dancing
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:04am PST 
Max gets capsules. The strength varies among human grade fish oil, he is currently getting a maintenance dose, only needs 3 a week and I probably should be increasing that as he is 12 next week. The standard amount per capsule is 1000 mg but the amount of the pertinent fatty acids can be much higher than the usual 180/120 per 2 caps.

I have squirted and pilled. Squirting is very messy but I prefer capsules to liquid oil due to the fragile nature of the fatty acids, oxygen degrades the stuff rapidly. Currently he is getting pilled as there isn't another dog to compete with the yummer joint and fish oil capsules like there used to be.
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 3:17pm PST 
Not all fish oils are created equal. Find the brand that offers the best quality and highest EPA/DHA levels and go with that. Likely this will be a human grade product. Create your own dosage based on this particular product and what seems to work best.

I'm leery enough about the effectiveness of those thick gel-caps working within a dog's digestive system that I've always stuck to oil. The caps are indeed more stable, but if you can trust a brand and the merchant to ensure proper care in transit and use it quickly enough it should be fine.

Some human products are flavored like lemon or strawberry. I personally take the lemon caps, as the occasional "fish burp" is MUCH more pleasant! I don't know if these would be attractive to a dog or not -- I've never tried with them. I preferred other cold water fish oils -- sardine, herring, mackerel -- over salmon oil for the reason of smelly dog kisses, though. Sardine oil seems thinner and the smell goes away a lot faster than with fish oil and is just as good, maybe better, than salmon oil.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 8:29pm PST 
I am thinking about switching from fish oil capsules to Grizzly Salmon Oil in the pump. The bottle says 4 pumps for dogs over 75lbs - this seems like a lot of fish oil; I currently give our gsds 6 capsules daily. Does anyone know how Grizzly Salmon oil equates to fish oil capsules (ie: 1 pump = 2 capsules)?

And I don't supplement vitamin E with fish oil; on all my raw feeding yahoo groups, I have never seen where you need to supplement vitamin E. If you are feeding farm fresh eggs, eggs contain natural vitamin E. We get our eggs from a friend who raises laying hens naturally and feed a daily whole raw egg daily with their fish oil.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 4:24am PST 
I have had this same dilemma. Don't like the liquid because it is a LOT of liquid for our large guys. We have a Doberman Pinscher and a GSD that are both 90+ lbs (fitting weight) and it gets messy quick. My vet sells a powder that is specifically formulated for dogs and they seem to live the taste but it does have a very strong smell so don't inhale when putting it in their food! wink coats look AMAZING but it's not the cheapest stuff out there. I'm using a different liquid now that is super concentrated. Has 4,400mg of Omega! The most I've seen in any fish oil supplement. Only have to add a teaspoon! (I'll add the name once I'm home).

I also wanted to get everyone's opinion about raw diets. I know a dog that has the softest coat I've ever seen on a GSD and that it the only thing he does. Feeds her raw. Do you think that is the best solution to a flakey and the desire to have a soft shinny coat? Or should I continue feeding her her dry food and just add fish oil?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 8:32am PST 
Max never had flaky skin but his fur was nasty on kibble. Raw fixed it. He also gained a lot of muscle mass on raw. I suspect he has a greater need for fat and protein than some dogs. Usually a raw diet is at least 25% fat where kibbles are usually under 20%.

Sassy's flaky skin was due to flea allergy. I tried to keep her fat intake as high as possible but she couldn't tolerate more than 13-15% fat so I will never know if her flea allergy and flaky skin would have improved if she was fed more fat.

Both dogs have always been dosed with fish oil whether they ate kibble, cooked or raw. Even on higher fat raw Max's fur is better with it than without, it definitely helps.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 5:35pm PST 
I'm currently feeding her 2 cups of dry, with fish oil in the morning, and 1 cup of dry and a raw patty with fish oil for dinner. Should I go full raw in AM and PM with fish oil or does it really matter? Her coat after 1 week is much softer and fuller. (Maybe it's just me wanting it to work for her, but I really think there's a difference!)
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 9:18pm PST 
Up to you whether you go all fresh raw food or not. I have seen such amazing changes feeding fresh to the dogs I hope never to be in a position to have to feed dry food again. We all do what we can and some raw or other fresh food is much better than none. I didn't know Max had issues with grains and veggies but now he only gets eye goobers when he gets some grainy or veggy treat, before he had eye goobers most of the time so going all raw might increase health more than you think. Or not, it is just food after all!

It took quite a while before I saw Max's fur improvement. I started him on raw just about 5 years ago but it wasn't until the spring that I noticed his fur was growing longer and getting shiny. Some people see that within a week or so!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 11:26am PST 
Hey Dakota, could you post the name of the super-concentrated oil mentioned above? I'm shopping for more fish oil for Duke, and would like to take a look at yours. Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2