GO!

What do I need to know about adopting?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Lex

aka Bobotron- 3000

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:25am PST 
We have one dog right now that we bought from a breeder. We are thinking about getting a second dog and definitely want to adopt. What do we need to know about adopting, owning a second dog, etc?

Also, we're interested in Boston Terriers if anyone wants to chime in on breed specifics smile
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 9:20am PST 
oh man. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Adopting a purebred from a rescue group (that specializes in that breed) can be a grueling process- they might grill you up and down, ask for vet references, inspect your house for dog safety issues, etc.

On the other hand, if you walk down to the local municipal shelter (the "pound") they may not ask any questions at all. Of course in that situation you're on your own as far as choosing a suitable dog, and it can be hard to judge a dog's real personality in the chaotic shelter environment (loud barking, people coming and going, dogs going crazy for lack of exercise, dogs depressed, etc.) They often have very little history on the dogs unless they were turned in by their owners (who often lie about behavior problems.) Of course, for all this trouble you get the cheapest adoption fees, wide selection of dogs, and that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you may have saved a life.

What rescues often do is take dogs from the crazy shelter environment, get them in a foster home, and polish them up for potential adopters. They are less of an unknown quantity for behavior and health. So that's why adopting from a rescue usually costs more, because they've invested time and money into their dogs.

If you're not familiar with it, Petfinder.com is a great resource. You can search for individual dogs, for rescue groups, for shelters, etc.

Some advice- don't get your heart set on a particular dog until it's yours. Adoptions can fail. The dog may be gone by the time you get there. A rescue may reject your application for silly reasons. Just remember there's always more fish in the sea. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 11:15am PST 
Bruno's right about not falling in love before you know it's a sure thing. I suggest that you try to find a rescue that you know their rules are going to work for you before looking at pictures. You can always put in an application and then wait for your perfect dog but if you fall in love and can't work with the rescue it's going to be nothing but heartache.
[notify]

Lex

aka Bobotron- 3000

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:06am PST 
Thank you both for the responses! We submitted an application to a rescue and it was approved. Now I want to go meet the dog and then introduce him to my dog. I am not falling in love until I know he's right for us and we're right for him (I say this knowing that as soon as I meet him I'll probably be a goner wink).
[notify]