GO!

Carpet -911 - HELP

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 4:22pm PST 
So jake and I rent a room and lately i've noticed the carpets getting a little okay a lot discolored. What can i do to pick up some of the dirt out of the carpet that's dog friendly?

*some of the stains include, dirt, dropped dog food, and i'm hoping its not but it smells like Urine. though i'm not sure if that was him or the cat, my land lady's, i found in my room a few days ago.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 4:50pm PST 
A few months back a valve in our hot water heater broke and flooded part of our living room. After everything dried out our large area rug smelled pretty musty. I poured baking soda all over the carpet and rubbed it in. I let it sit for about 10 minutes then vaccumed it up. It freshened up the carpet and it seemed to brighten up the carpet as well. For any stains I use vinegar and water or pet stain and odor spray. Hopefully that helps. If not you could try renting a carpet cleaner and using a pet safe cleaning solution. I think most companies offer pet safe cleaning solutions.

Edited by author Fri Feb 24, '12 5:04pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 8:39pm PST 
Seconding renting or borrowing a steam cleaner. It's amazing how much dirt you will pull out of the carpet...when we had carpet I would steam clean every few months and it was ridiculous how nasty the used water would get even though we never wore our shoes indoors and only had two indoor cats...

Scruffy's baking soda tip works well (you can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil into the baking soda).

Once you get the carpet clean, you might want to consider laying down small runner rugs in the heavy traffic areas (the type that you can toss in the washing machine).
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 9:37pm PST 
I have my own carpet scrubber here at home. If you rent one and I agree with the others that may be your best option I use Bissell pet stain and odor remover,I used it even when I rented machines. It's pet safe,cleans great,and I even foolishly had white carpeting on my livingroom at our last hose thinking that young adult and nearly adult children would have some common sense and it made the rug look like new. As for the odor control the previously mentioned children left a dog and cat sprayed by a skunk in the house and it even got rid of that smell. Hope you have as much luck with it as I do.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 3:51pm PST 
I feel your pain! We rent a house with cream colored carpeting and it looks gross pretty quickly with 2 preschoolers and a dog running in and out all day. We used to rent a Rug Doctor and used the Bissell Cleaner for pet odors. One bad things about those rentals is that they do leave a lot of yucky soap in the rug, which actually attracts dirt so you might want to do it a second or third time without any solution. To be honest though, if you are only renting a room, plenty of carpet cleaning places will do a room for less than it costs to rent a machine and buy your own solution. I can have my entire downstairs of the house done for $60.
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 4:08pm PST 
Resolve makes a powder that you can sprinkle and then use a mop on to work into the carpet, let it dry and then vacuum. I use it in between when I steam clean. Its not the dry powder - its moist - and does a decent enough job for a quick once over, so to speak. I invested in a Rug Doctor a while back and steam clean my carpets every few months. they get really dirty with 2 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 12:33pm PST 
I bought a Rug Doctor - love it! way to go I use the Rug Doctor cleaning solution and added oxyclean. Really hot water is the trick.

I just bought a pound of Odor Mute. I've read here that it works really well. Since our house is older and the carpet used to have 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat by the previous owner I want to give it a really good cleaning and am hoping this will do the trick...
[notify]
Lazer

Smart Lazer

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 7:47am PST 
Try Pet stain and odor remover plus the power of oxi clean by arms and hammer, we used this and we never regret using it, it really removes stains for 10 mins and also smell by just rubbing it with a cloth.. I don't know what's up with my dog hehe, he usually pee in the pads but sometimes he does it on purpose peeing and pooping in the carpet that makes the carpet full of stains. I understand what you feel smile
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 7:30pm PST 
"kids and pets" works awesome for spots, and the rug doctor, but if your renting a room I agree with the previous poster that getting it professionally cleaned is your best bet.
[notify]