GO!

house broken accidents

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Roco

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 7:59am PST 
I rescued my 1 year old shih tzu poodle mix from a local shelter. He was already house broken and has done well for the most part. He is crated and I take him out immediately when he first gets up. He is in an inside play area during the day & I take him out immediately when I return home. When we are home , He is on a very long leash attached in my living room so he does not have free run of the house. I decided to do this because there were a few times that he snuck out of the room , ran upstairs & pooped frown he has done very good as long as he is leashed. However, if he is not on a leash .....instead of telling me he has to go out ,he will sneak to another room & poop. Suggestions for solving my sneaky pooper?
[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 2:30pm PST 
I bell train my dogs. We have a strip of bells hanging on our back door. Whenever Gus needs to go potty he knows to go to the door and ring the bells. A year of doing this he know comes to get us if we don't hear the bells (in another room). We are training Gracie to ring the bells, too.
[notify]
Roco

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 6:52pm PST 
My first inside dog .... How do you bell train?
[notify]

Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:52pm PST 
You hang the bells on the door knob of the door leading outside.

Every time you take the dog to go out you ring the bells (make sure the dog sees) and say whatever words you use for potty. For Gus it is "Ring your bells to potty"

You do this every time you go out with the dog to potty. And only when you take them out to potty. If they ring while you are just coming in and out it isn't a big deal. Just make sure you have your dogs attention when you ring them and say the words.

Keep doing this until the dog starts ringing them on their own. Gus was a puppy when we started and was a little timid. So we had to hold his paw and show him how to ring them, that they wouldn't hurt him. Now he rings them with his nose. Unless he really has to go then he stands up on the door and bashes them with his paw LOL

It took him about 3 days to pick it up. An adult dog may take a week.

Google Poochie-Bells to find them and more info smile
[notify]