GO!

VERY Concerned...bloody poop...need help!!! PIP!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Achilles

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 8:43pm PST 
What the heck is going on??? Achilles is pooping blood and I'm scared! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by author Wed Feb 8, '12 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Achilles

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 8:58pm PST 
I keep trying to put a pic. of his recent poop but it won't let me...it just doesn't show up.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 9:06pm PST 
What color is the blood? How much? Mixed with poop or straight blood? Mucusy? Please try and post a pic, upload it to something like photo bucket and use the upload helper... Hopefully someone can provide a link as I can't on my phone.

What sort of raw did the dog eat? Bone? Liver? Bloody meat? How long have they been on the raw diet?
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 11:08pm PST 
Dripping bright red? Red blood accompanying poop? This is likely a sign of trauma well below the GI tract and not too worrisome given your last posts regarding what you've been feeding. Take a deep breath and try to relax, but this is a sign something isn't right.

Dark red blood, black almost? This is a sign of upper GI tract bleeding and not great.

Either way, you are probably the best judge of whether something is really wrong or not. No matter the photos or anything we can't tell you online whether to rush to the E-vet or not. Symptoms like pale gums, drinking a lot of water or none at all, or generally acting funny is a sign that does mean you need to go NOW.

I hope everything's OK -- keep us posted!
[notify]
Achilles

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:10am PST 
this is the pic I took last night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/micknkids/Photo0283 .jpg

BTW...his gums look great, no change in playfulness, no excessive drinking or lack of. He seems normal besides the blood in his poop.

Edited by author Thu Feb 9, '12 9:22am PST

[notify]
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:13am PST 
Certainly a little scary looking, I can understand how that would freak you out! Is that his first and only poop like this? Has it gone back to normal since last night?
[notify]
Achilles

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:41am PST 
I was horrified when I saw it... He's still not back to normal, still a bit of blood. He hasn't had a solid poop since we switch to raw. He gets chicken back and nothing else, we're considering getting some TOTW to see if it straightens him out.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 12:51pm PST 
Ack! I would be worried too if I saw that poop.

Can I ask why you are feeding chicken backs only? Wow, that's a lot of bone, very little meat, and while bone firms the stools - if given as the ONLY food source, it could cause an impaction, or the bloody poop you are seeing now as the body tries to handle all that bone.

I wouldn't ever start a dog on chicken backs only. I'd suggest whole chickens chopped up or even just chicken breasts with bone. Not sure the weight of your dog, but I started Brody out on cornish hens and he always got chunks of the hen with little bits of bone to firm the poop.

I imagine that the bone heavy diet you are providing has caused this. I'd start over and give chicken MEAT with just a LITTLE bone and see if that doesn't clear right up. Bones are a necessary part of a raw diet, but they should never compose the majority of the diet - even on a new to raw dog.
[notify]
Snowberrys- Shinning- Star HIC S

I'm a little- shit- disturber!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 12:56pm PST 
You're right Brody.
[notify]
Achilles

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 1:46pm PST 
Thanks so much Brody for the advice, I really appreciate everybody's help on this. Do you think one half chicken back and the rest thigh meat would be ok? Or is it still to much bone?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2