GO!

Never seen anything like it. . .

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Boondock

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 5:05am PST 
4 days ago, my Weimaraner was perfectly normal. . .

2/2/2012
8:00pm Boondock experienced his first attack. It seemed to be triggered by something that he heard coming from the computer while I was watching a
documentary. He looked at the computer funny, then began to scream as if he were being shocked. He took off running and urinating around the house, and was not
responding to my commands. He was in a complete state of panic, as if he were trying to get away from something that was attacking him. My initial response was to yell at him to get him to stop, but it was unsuccessful. When I realized that he was panicing, I calmed myself down and ignored him in effort to relay a calm signal. This seemed to be the best course of action. Boondock calmed down after about 4 minutes, but was still on edge about his surroundings, refusing to leave my side.

2/2/2012
8:20pm About 20 minutes after his initial attack, Boondock had his second attack. This time, we were sitting on the couch watching TV. He looked at the TV
funny, just as he did with the laptop. He then proceeded into a complete state of panic, this time loosing his stool. He was running, pooping, and yelling as if he were trying to escape whatever was torturing him. He even made attempts to climb onto the kitchen counter in a complete state of panic. He was not responsive to my commands, so again I ignored him and remained calm. This attack lasted about 3 minutes, followed by about an hour of unease. Again, he refused to leave my side and was very paranoid of his surroundings. At this point, I was convinced that he
was reacting to the noise coming from the TV and laptop, so I secured all noise making devices to try and calm him down.

2/2/2012
9:30pm After an hour of sitting on the couch and relaxing with Boondock, Casey got up to use the restroom. While in the restroom, Boondock began his 3rd panic attack. There were no noise making devices on at this time. Again, he began to scream, run and pee (no stool this time) all around the house. He was unresponsive to my commands, so I remained calm and ignored him. This attack lasted about 3 minutes. After he came down from his state of panic, he was in the kitchen. I called out to him calmly, and he had a look of complete confusion. He did not seem to know who I was, and just stared at me intently. After cleaning the house again, we proceeded to go to bed and left
Boondock alone. He wined at the door for about 15 minutes before he went to bed.
-------------------------------------------------------

2/3/2012
Boondock did not have any attacks during this day. He seemed to be back to his normal self. His urine/stool were normal. His feeding habbits were normal as well. I contacted Mill Pond Vetinary and spoke to Dr. Wray. He said these could be seizures or simply panic attacks, but it's hard to determine without drawing
blood work. He advised that we monitor him and keep a log of his actions until he could be seen for a checkup. We were instructed to contact the vet if the attacks continued.
-------------------------------------------------------

2/4/2012
9:30am While watching the morning news, I noticed Boondock seemed uncomfortable with the TV again. I turned it off immediately in effort to prevent an attack. I tried to divert his attention and offered to take him on a walk. He was excited to go on a walk. I attached his Gentle Leader, and we proceeded to walk around the neighborhood. After about 100 yards, Boondock froze. I remained calm and told him "c'mon buddy". He entered into a complete state of panic, and attempted to free himself from the Gentle Leader. While trying to escape, he was screaming, urinating and loosing his stool. I held on to his collar to try and prevent him from escaping and running into the busy road. I also removed the Gentle Leader to try and calm him down. I forced him to walk the 100yds back to the house. The panic attack ceased immediately when we approached the front door of the house. I sat on the front porch with him for about 5 minutes. After this attack, we made the decision to try and get him to the vet. We contacted Mill Pond, and spoke to Dr. Yarrow. Dr. Yarrow's recommendation was to put Boondock on anti-anxiety medications for a week to see if he continued to have the attacks. Boondock was given Fluoxetine and a pheromone collar. This was his only attack all day.
------------------------------------------------------

Anybody ever seen or heard anything like this? I can't find anything online that matches the description. I'm going to try and obtain a video during the next attack, if he has another. Hopefully the medications help.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 5:40am PST 
Sounds to me like an epileptic seizure. He is just at the age where hereditary epilepsy usually begins in those breeds affected.
Blood work, etc, will rule out other causes but cannot identify hereditary idiopathic epilepsy.
Good luck and keep us posted.
[notify]
Boondock

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 6:20am PST 
Does the dog usually go into flight mode with epileptic seizures? I've seen some youtube videos of the seizures where the dog is disoriented and tries to walk but falls. He's not falling, just in a pure flight mode.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 8:00am PST 
Very frightening! Good he was on leash when outside. I don't know if he would be safer harnessed inside or not.

Max could walk when he had seizures. We crossed the street and moved into shade one time. It depends how deep they are, guessing Max's weren't very severe.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 9:17am PST 
Depending on the part of the brain affected, all seizures can be different. Perhaps his seizure is in the fear part of his brain??
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 2:40pm PST 
Fynny gets up and runs around all frantic before he has his. He's never lost control of his bladder or bowels but does sometimes tip over in convulsions too.

His breeding was a disaster. I'm not at all surprised he's suffering now.

Where did you get Boondocks from? If rescue its obviously impossible to know if it's an inhereted condition but if he came from a breeder they should be easy to reference. They should be notified immediately regardless so they can investigate ever breeding his parents again.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 6:37pm PST 
Zoey goes into flight mode when she has seizures. It honestly depends on the dog and what is causing the seizures and what part of the brain is affected. I would recommend a full bloodworkup and xrays to rule out any problems that may be causing this.
[notify]
Boondock

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 3:36pm PST 
Thank you for all your responses. Boondock didn't have an attack on Sunday, thankfully. He's on Fluoxetine (prozac) and a pharamone collar to try and rule out anxiety. About an hour ago, he got extreemly paranoid but hasn't gone into another panic attack/seizure. He was shivering uncontrollably, and paranoid of every noise he heard. He's still on edge, but hopefully the meds are balancing him out. Again, seemed to be triggered by the TV.

We are going to have the full blood work-up done next week. Vet wants us to do the anxiety meds for a week to try and rule out anxiety. If he continues having attacks, then we'll have to explore other medical explanations.
[notify]
Boondock

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 7:40pm PST 
Okay, so we had another attack this evening. I was able to capture video. There's 2 parts. I was downstairs fixing the internet when this happened. Boon had a short attack (part 1), followed by a more aggressive attack a few minutes later (part 2). The second video is a bit upsetting. Like I mentioned in the diary, the best way to calm him down so far is to ignore him. Trying to talk to him makes it worse.

http://youtu.be/zTYwF90Tbbo

http://youtu.be/WE-su8sQUSA
[notify]
Angel Lexi- ...Gone But- Never

Angel Kisses And- Butterfly- Whispers

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 8:50pm PST 
Sounds exactly like Epileptic Seizures to me..It's what sent me to the Rainbow Bridge. I would run through the house just terrified and would slam into walls and claw my way under the end table and scratch the carpet. I was a tough little girl so Momma knew it was not right. Tail tucked between my legs and zoom as if the devil was after e. It broke her heart to see itcry Sometimes Phenobarbital will help but it didn't help me and the seizure monster woncry
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3