GO!

red pea-sized bump inside ear

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Stella

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 7:16am PST 
Good Morning! I am new to this site and hope this is the correct place to be posting...
I have a 3 year old Swissy and I noticed a small pea-sized bump inside of her ear this morning while I was petting her. She is not bothered by it at all, even when I touch it; however, I still want to be sure it isn't something I should be worrying about. The only thing that I have done differently with her recently is I gave her a bath about 3 days ago with an organic Trader Joes shampoo (for humans) as I was out of the Oatmeal shampoo that I typically use on her. I do know that this bump was not there then as I cleaned her ears thoroughly.
I researched what this could possibly be and it doesn't seem to be poppable and there is not a black dot or evidence of a tick. I created a page on shutterfly with a photo if anyone wants to take a look and give me their thoughts and suggestions. I VERY much appreciate it!

http://stelladogster.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 9:08am PST 
All bumps really should be examined by a vet. So far, I have had to take Henry in 3 times for 3 different looking bumps. Luckily, dogs are just "bumpy" and get all kinds and all od his were benign and resolved on their own. Yours very well could be a cutaneous histiocytoma, but you should definitely take her to the vet to rule out a mast cell tumor or anything else.

Edited by author Sat Feb 4, '12 9:09am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 9:20am PST 
Looks like a histiocytoma to me, but I am not a vet! The best thing to do would be to take her in to the vet and have them aspirate it (stick a needle in and suck up some of the cells). They can look at the cells under a microscope and tell you what the growth is. It's not that expensive. You'll have good peace of mind if it's benign, and an early notice to take action if it's not.
[notify]

Stella

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 9:51am PST 
Thank you guys very much! I try to let heal or treat naturally if possible and my vet always wants to medicate. Great vet, but doesn't agree with any kind of holistic approach. Better safe than sorry I guess...
[notify]