GO!

questions

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruby

little red fluff- ball

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 7:02pm PST 
Hello everypupwave I was wondering if its really hard to raise to two pups at once? from different litters. heres the story. After Kady disappeared my friends knew i was heart broken over losing her, and i guess they got me this little girl pom puppy, (without me knowing about it) but they didnt know that i had already placed a deposit on a puppy i picked out. So now i will have two puppies. so is it hard? what do i need to do to make sure they are both good dogs. i train seperatly right? Sorry just trying to get all the info i can get
[notify]
Ruby

little red fluff- ball

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 7:15pm PST 
forgot to say that neither one of them come home until jan.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 8:35pm PST 
It is very difficult to raise two pups at once. Each in the beginning will need as much care as a newborn human baby. This will mean multiple nightime wake-ups for potty trips,extra feedings,and some training would be able to be done together but some needs to be one-on-one as well. If you feel you are up to it,then by all means go for it but really think it through first. It might really be best to tell your friends,Thank-you but I can't do that." if you have any doubts at all as to wether or not you can handle it all. I personally know for myself it is beyond me to deal with it. Think it through,make an honest assessment of your abilities then do what you think is best for you and the puppies,chances are if you back out of either one now or soon there is another home the breeders have waiting,that may not be the case if you bring them home and discover it's too much.
I'm sorry if I sound discouraging and I know that some people are fine with 2 puppies at a time,only you can honestly decide if you are one of them. I know that I am not.
[notify]

Ruby

little red fluff- ball

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 8:46pm PST 
I'm home most of the time now so i have plenty of time. I do know about waking up many times in the night for potty breaks. I'm just wondering if i should crate them together or seperate? feed together or seperate? i know they will be a close bond between the two of them. they will both be spayed and neutered when old enough. or what i need for two puppies at once

thanks
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 9:12pm PST 
Like M&K, I would say, 'Thanks, but no thanks' to the pup your friends are getting you. Unless there was no way around it, I would never choose to raise two pups simultaneously. Even if you're home most of the time, raising one puppy is a full time job.

If you do want to go through with it, yes, they should be crated separately. I would keep them separated most of the time while they're young. A few play sessions a day but other than that, I would keep them apart at least for a few months.

Any two dogs should be fed separately, imo, to avoid developing any guarding and to make sure each dog gets their fair share. It's also less stressful for many dogs because they don't have to bolt their food down to avoid having it stolen.

I really wouldn't recommend taking on two pups at once but that's your decision of course. Just don't go through with getting both because you feel you have to. I'm sure your friends would understand if you told them you couldn't handle two at once.
[notify]
Ruby

little red fluff- ball

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 9:16pm PST 
you both have great points. I was actually thinking about contacting the other puppy i had put a deposit on as she has had a few intrested in him. I know i can handle two at once but you guys may be right i might not be able to physically keep up with both. i will strongly think about it

thanks againhug
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 10:09pm PST 
If you ever thought you would like twin babies go ahead and get two puppies. They will wake each other up, steal each others stuff, step in each others poop, bite each others tails. Ever been on road trip with a car load of kids? It has some advantages but not many and as they get older the good one will learn from the bad one not the other way around, no one is that lucky. Unless their mom is dealing with them no one should have more then one puppy. They are cute though when they're little, all bad breath and sharp teeth.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 7:04pm PST 
As we have all said the choice is really up to you but I think it would be very wise to only take puppies on one at a time and since you know the breeder of the pup you chose has other people interested and it seems like you really don't want to refuse the kindness of your friends that really would be best. The physical and developmental demands of a young puppy really are wearing. I too am home all the time. Had my older Akita not been nearly three and very well trained I probably would have sent my boy back to the breeder. Mika as a puppy was quite easy. Kai was a challenge from Day 1. He refused to eat the puppy food he had been started on,never seemed to run out of pee,needed potty trips every 1-2 hours and would take 30-45 minutes to do his business,then come in and have an accident by marking something.
By the end of his second week in our home I was exhausted,moody,and down to my last nerve.What if that's the case with both of your new puppies? It sounds wonderful at first to have 2 until you actually have to deal with a difficult puppy then I could not even imagine 2 like Kai was,I would have checked myself into the local hospitals psych ward just to get a break. Just sayin'.
[notify]
Ruby

little red fluff- ball

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 7:17pm PST 
thanks for the advice and you were right. I will not be able to handle two. i contacted the person for the other person today and i am still waiting for a response. I will be only getting one puppy
[notify]
Scout

Barked: Sat Dec 24, '11 5:41am PST 
Once upon a time I fantasized about having twin children. With kids, you have one child and you get one child's worth of trouble. When you have a second, the trouble isn't doubled, it is tripled or even quadrupled. I imagine that with pups the the outcome would be similar.

I am NOT up to the task of raising two pups. Keeping the one mostly well-behaved pup we have out of trouble is enough for me. His biggest problem is his fetish for Barbie body parts and my daughter not keeping her Barbies in her room where they belong. If we had two pups, our house would probably look like a Barbie homicide crime scene.

Having multiple pets now made me think of another thing that no one else brought up yet... vet bills. With our regular vet, the shots, heart worm meds and annual visits for our brood (2 dogs and 2 cats) is easily $500, not including prescriptions and supplements for our aging pets. Then you toss in the occasional incident for each one and we start looking at thousands. Example 1: one of our cats had somehow sliced his leg open very badly as a kitten. The emergency vet bill was around $1500 for the surgery to put him back together. Example 2: our foster dog decided that Tyson correcting her (she wasn't injured at all) for rude manners was not acceptable and put multiple skin-breaking bites on the back of his neck. The normal vet bills from that totaled around $500 due to infection that set in.

For me, if the choice was between the two pups, I would go with the one I chose for myself unless the other was the same breed but had better breeding. There are certain things I look for in a breeder and if the friend-pup didn't qualify, it wouldn't come home. I refuse to support BYB's and puppy mills. Our current pup is from the shelter/pound as was our older dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2