GO!

Digging at bedding before sleeping

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Monkey

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 7:27am PST 
Monkey goes bananas when we go to bed at night - she jumps into our bed and before she lays down to sleep she digs like crazy and rolls around. Is this normal - do other dogs do this? Or is it something else?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 7:49am PST 
It sounds to me like Monkey is just trying to get comfortable. We put an extra comforter on our bed so that ours can do that and not damage my good bedding.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 8:49am PST 
It is perfectly normal...for some dogssmile Wiley has his ritual of 7 turns while digging before he plops down with a sigh. If you interrupt him..he gives a *harumph & starts again..turning the opposite directionbig laugh Like others, I have a dog blanket on the bed so he does not destroy my comforter.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 10:00am PST 
that sounds like Jake. He has to dig on my bed then on his bed then go under his bed before turning around and getting comfortable in a nest of clothes on the floor. It's just something some dogs do. I guess.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 10:46am PST 
Every night at ~8:30pm Nicky will get off the couch, go over to his dog bed, dig at it and drag it across the family room, lay in it for about 30 seconds, and then jump back on the couch.
[notify]
❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 10:46am PST 
Sounds exactly like Sadie. She digs like no other until she thinks it's just right to lay down. Sometimes she will lay down and get right back up because it's not good enough and start digging at it again.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 11:04am PST 
Totally common. I've known very few dogs who do not dig and/or circle before bedding down.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 6:05pm PST 
I finally figured out why they do that. I think it's instinct to try and make a comfortable bed. We took Kali hiking with us in the White Mountains. The top of the mountain was almost all rock except for a few spots where there were low growing pines. My husband & I sat down to rest and Kali went over and started to dig in one of the pines re-arranging the branches until she finally laid down for a short nap. I was amazed that she thought to do that. It all made sense to me.
[notify]
Chase, CGC

Beneth my goody- 2 shoes lies- dark socks

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 6:18pm PST 
Every night when I go to bed Chase goes under the covers, scratches the mattress then comes out and sleeps on top of the covers. I always tell him Thank You for making sure there are no "snakes" in the bed. laugh out loud
[notify]