GO!

Taking dog on 5 hr car ride?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 6:57am PST 
So my S/O and I want to take Olive with us to our family's homes during the holidays.... my family is about an hour away and we've visited many times, but his family is 5 hrs north.... a long, long drive in the middle of no-where (his family owns a large potato farm). smile She's never been there - and they have a dog (4 year old female GSD).

Do you think it's best we find a doggy-sitter for her, or do you think we could take her with us?

I don't want to stress her out -- she is only a pup, will be 8 months in December... but, we would really like it if she could come along with us for the holidays! smile
[notify]
Homer

Homer's Where- the Heart is

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 8:54am PST 
It's really up to you. As long as you don't think she will be to stressed out and will get along with the other dog I say go for it. Especially if she enjoys car rides.
Over the summer we took Homer with us to our cabin up north. It was an 8 hour car ride (one way). He was only 7 months old. We just made sure to stop every so often for him to get out and stretch and use the bathroom. He did great on the way there and back.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 12:23pm PST 
For perspective, I live in Oregon, and my first dog, Ginger, came from Colorado... by way of New Mexico, Arizona, then all the way up through California. My second dog, Bruno, came from Arizona and traveled all the way up California to get home with me (I think it was around 17 hours of driving, with an overnight rest in the middle). Both dogs were okay with it.

People who show or compete with their dogs in sports often take long road trips, and a lot of RV-ers and long-haul truck drivers have companion dogs.

Just give the dog a comfortable place in the car to lay down (in her crate if you use one) and take a potty break every few hours. Bruno also tends to get carsick so I try to remember not to feed him before we go for a drive.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 5:32pm PST 
I'd take the dog if it were me. I picked Onyx up from his breeder and drove 20 hours to get home- he was 8 weeks old. He handled it fine. We just had to stop often for potty breaks since he was so young.

It would probably stress her out less to go on vacation with you then to be home without you. And if the trip isn't for another couple months, you can start taking her for car rides now to get her used to them.

Edited by author Wed Sep 21, '11 5:39pm PST

[notify]
Zoe

I just want to- relax

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 6:15pm PST 
We have always traveled with our dogs. The longest trip they have ever been on was 24hrs and we drove straight through, with potty breaks of course!

If Olive is good in the car then I would say take her with you!! It would be good for her, the more she experiences the better!!
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 6:28pm PST 
My grandparents are four hours away in the middle of nowhere, and we take the dogs all the time. They love going to grandmas house because grandmas have the best treats even for dogs smile We actually had to take Nicky to Ohio (five hour drive) with us like 3 weeks after we adopted him and he did pretty well with it. He loves car rides so that helped a lot. When we took him home from his adoption event, he slept in the back seat the whole ride home!

Edited by author Wed Sep 21, '11 6:29pm PST

[notify]
Blake

Don't Look Down- Your Nose at Me

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 12:35am PST 
It's all up to you. Just make sure your dog isn't stressed. I know Blake loves car rides! He is a service dog and goes everywhere with me. He has been a service dog since he was 5 months old. But, no matter where I go, I always make sure he has time to go to the bathroom at least once an hour. He does great every time!
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 10:06pm PST 
I'd take her if I were you. 5 hours is really not as long as it sounds. smile When we drove from Washington to Virginia it took 9 days. Ava slept basically the entire time except when we'd stop at rest stops or campgrounds, of course. Nix also rode from the breeder's place in Texas to us here in Virginia, spent 5 days on the road, and he was just a tiny puppy then.

Unless you have good reason to think she wont get along with the other dog, why not bring her along? She might even enjoy the ride. big grin
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '11 8:03am PST 
I would take her. My ex-husband and I traveled MANY times (an 8 hour trip) from Virginia to Georgia with our older dog we had. She did wonderful on car rides. A lot of the time we forgot she was even back there. bol! laugh out loud If Olive does well on car rides, I think you should take her along. smile
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '11 8:16am PST 
We live in the west...so driving 5 hours to get somewhere is average. We just stop every couple of hours for a leg stretch and potty break (for both human and dog passengers). We normally go for an extra long hike the day before we travel too...it helps.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3