GO!

Back surgery for slipped prolapsed disc

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bosley

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 10:46am PST 
My beautiful sweet Cotton de Tulear had back surgery two days ago for a slipped prolapsed disc. I thought it was sudden but looking back, he did show earlier signs of pain. In the last 4-6 weeks he had three episodes of extreme nervousness and anxiety. He was panting and shaking and staring at me as if he was trying to communicate. After 30 minutes or so, he appeared to be his usual self.

Tuesday evening, I let him out and he went down two flights of stairs to the grass where he did his business. He could not get back up. When I went to lift him, his body was stiff and his hind legs were stretched out and very rigid. He was making very unusual noises, almost as if he was trying to tell me something. I put him down on the ground to see if I could determine where his pain was coming from and he could not stand.

A diagnosis was made and the options were surgery or put him down. Since Bosley is only 7 years old, I could not give up on him so easily. Because he still had feeling in his legs, chance of a full recovery with surgery is 85% - 95%. A decision had to be made immediately because his situation could worsen in a moment. If he were to lose feeling in his legs, chance of full recovery with surgery drops down to 50%.

It is almost 48 hrs after surgery and I was told this morning that he still has feeling in his legs but is showing no purposeful movement. This is not uncommon. I am wondering if anyone has cared for their dog after back surgery. What is involved? I heard recovery time is 4-6 weeks and the progress is measured week to week rather than day to day. I am very anxious about his recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 1:33pm PST 
I am very anxious about Bosley today. I am second guessing my decision to put him through surgery. Checking this forum every few minutes hoping you dog lovers will offer some advice. Any support will be appreciated. I am starting to freak out a bit.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 7:50am PST 
Bosley, I'm sorry for not seeing this sooner. You can pmail me for support if you need to.

I had a herniated disc which is the same as as slipped disc. I was in the same position as you...I was getting better and then after two weeks, I started to decline...quickly. I got to the point where I couldn't walk and like you, I decided to have the surgery. Mom typing here: Scooter was only 5 and I was told there was a 90 percent chance I would have a full recovery. If I decided not to do the surgery, I would have been paralyzed. Even though I wasn't able to stand up or walk, the doctor said the biggest indicator was tail wagging. There is a window....I believe it's 48-72 hours after complete loss of function that you have to have this surgery to ensure the greatest success (85-95%)

It's not uncommon to not be able to have function for a few days after surgery. I had surgery on a Tuesday and it was Friday when I finally started standing up and moving around a bit. The doctor was pretty amazed by this because he said I should be up and moving a bit by the end of the weekend. So, with Bosley having his surgery on Tuesday, it's not at all uncommon for him not to be walking yet.

Did the doctor feel the surgery was successful? If so, believe in that. I was scared just like you were...we picked Scooter up on Thursday and she was so happy to see us...she scooted her away to the door. She couldn't walk. By Friday, we saw her walking a little bit, wobbly and falling, but at least it was something.

So, I would say the norm is 3-5 days after surgery you should see some improvement.

How are you doing today? What did the doctor say about the surgery. Our surgeon (neurologist) felt my surgery was a success and I was fixed...I just needed a little recovery time.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% but darn close (surgery was 2 years ago). Most wouldn't notice it, but mom can see I get a little tired after long walks whereas before my surgery that didn't happen...I wobble a little after long walks so mom keeps the walks a little shorter (30 min or less).

How are you doing now? hughughughug
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 7:56am PST 
Just wanted to add...it does take weeks for full recovery. The doctor said that the first 2-3 weeks, you see about a 75% (hope I'm remembering that right) improvement with the next 4-6 weeks of getting the rest back.

So it does sound like you are getting the same feedback I got. when I went to visit Scooter the day after her surgery, the doctor asked me to call her. She wiggled/scooted her butt over to me...tail wagging. He said that was a good sign.

The fact that you chose to do the surgery when you did probably saved your life. Waiting more than 2 days after complete loss does lower your chances for a full recovery...so again, the doctor was right in telling you that.

I'm so curious how you are doing today. hug
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 8:12am PST 
Thank you so much for your response. The vet called last night and said there was a complication. 48 hrs post surgery, Bosley's hind legs are fully extended. He has no movement but the bigger concern is that his hind quarters are extremely tight. I was told this is a complication but not necessarily a bad sign. She asked that I come to see Bosley today. Hopefully I can motivate him. They would be pleased to see even his tail wagging at this point.
I should mention that Bosley is neither agile or athletic. It took him 5 years to learn how to navigate stairs or even jump up on a couch. To this day, he is able to do those things but he is very methodical in his approach.

I am so excited to see my sweet dog. I don't know what to expect but I will let you know how it goes.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 8:15am PST 
Ok cool...If you go back through my diary...to july 2009, that's when my story starts. I just read it again and it brings back a lot of memories...I bet you relate to a lot of it too.

I also realized after reading my diary that FULL recovery could take up to 4-6 months. Signficant improvement can be seen. I did a little more research and it appears that some signficant signs can take a couple of weeks to show.

Good luck with your visit and let us know how he's doing...I'm vested in this one especially since these herniated/slipped discs are near and dear to my heart! I'm here for ya! hug

Edited by author Fri Sep 9, '11 8:21am PST

[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 9:00am PST 
hughug saying a wee prayer your recovery goes wellhughug
[notify]
Summer

It's not a walk,- it's a- sniffathon!!

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 9:38am PST 
I hope all is better today, and you get to see some improvement on your visit!!

Scooter gave you some great advice, and also a success story to give you hope. Hearing from someone who has been through it is invaluable.

My beagle Summer has a herniated disc as of about 2 weeks ago. She was reluctant to do stairs or get on the bed or couch. So I brought her to the Vet and he said the x-rays are not revealing but it is probably a minor disc herniation, and to just rest her and keep an eye on her. Well, I see no improvemnt. No worsening, but no improvement. I hope we don't have to do surgery.

Please let us know how it goes today when you go see Bosley, I'll be thinking of you. When does he come home?
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 10:23am PST 
hughughugBosleyhughughug

Hope you are doing better today and the dasy to come. I know how scary it is for your family. My fur cousin A little SHih Tzu had back surgery after sudden paralysis. He made a full recovery which of course took a little time. He has the occasional hitch in his Giddy Up but is happy healthy boy and walking freely.way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 11:11am PST 
Summer, just some feedback for you...in many cases, regular xrays will not reveal a herniated disc. Unfortunately, it requires a myleogram or mri...both are expensive. i think there is a catscan that can be done, but again expensive.

I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully you are getting a lot of rest because if the route for your recovery is non surgical, then lots of crate rest is important. Many vets will look at the symptoms, and try to treat conversatively without putting an undue financial hardship on you...so they treat it as a herniated disc in hopes that proper protocol (strict rest) gets you better. I'm here for you too...and you are a beagley! snoopy

Edited by author Fri Sep 9, '11 11:12am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5