GO!

Does anyone have recipes for homemade treats?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
JJ

Wanna play- fetch...huh...hu- h....huh?????

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 6:49am PST 
I am interested in trying homemade treats for my dogs, so I thought I would ask for recipes that you have tried.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 11:00am PST 
One of the girls favs were bacon cheeseburger balls.

I've also made carrot treats.

Bacon Cheeseburger Treats

Carrot and cheese treats
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 1:55pm PST 
Oooo, those sound good! And pretty too.

I used to make liver bread for training treats.
In the blender jar place a peeled raw clove of garlic and an egg. Blend til garlic is broken up a little. Add 6 ounces of raw liver of your choice, blend.

Dump into a bowl containing about 2 cups of flour. I mix with my hand but liver no longer grosses me out. I knead it, adding flour as needed, into a bread type dough that is springy and pliable and squish it on a well greased cookie sheet. Score into strips with a pizza cutter and bake at 350*F until cooked through, maybe 15-20 minutes. Cut the strips apart and bake again if you want a crisp cookie but I just keep the bread like strips in the freezer and use for training. It is easy to pinch off bits and it is tasty and smelly stuff.

I never did but you could blend the gunk left in the blender with some water and/or yogurt and make yummy liver/egg ice cubes. Be easier than washing it out and not waste any of it. Maybe it was all the drool and panting that kept me from figuring it out all these years. Too much pressure.

Once I scored a pound of ground turkey and blended it with an equal amount of cooked sweet potato, spread it on wax paper and dried the top in my dehydrator, flipped it over, removed the paper and finished drying it. Very pretty, good for training.

I made cookies for Sassy to get when she was getting her subcutaneous fluid treatments. I found that I could use my old coffee mill to grind up rice into granules that baked up very nicely mixed with banana OR canned oysters OR liver OR apple. Oysters make green cookies, who knew? Here is the method, just use your choice of wet stuff and any rice in the proper weight. I always used them soft but they could be baked until crisp after cut apart. Be great for a fancy doggy tea party! Could pipe cream cheese on top.........
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/772132/2
[notify]

Jena, always- in our- hearts

Million dollar- doggie

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 4:27pm PST 
My pack loves the treats I make in my dehydrator. I boil chicken (they like dark meat best!) and boil until it's cooked. Then I slice or pull chunks of meat off the bones and dehydrate for about 12 hours. These are nice because they keep for quite awhile without being refrigerated.

Edited by author Wed Aug 24, '11 4:28pm PST

[notify]
Isabella- "Bella"

I love you. And- you. And you.- And you.

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 11:14pm PST 
hahaha. good luck. I am planning a doggy business and am also looking for basic dry treat recipes that I can modify and flavour, etc. :3
[notify]
BUDDY- SHAWSHANK

LOVES TO LEARN- TRICKS!

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 10:10pm PST 
I'm new here, still finding my way around. wave I'm so stoked about the above posted recipes! So often, homemade doggie treats sound like human food recipes, full of flour, even sugar!
i can't wait to try the recipes above.

HERE IS MY HOMEMADE RECIPE FOR HEALTHY, ECONOMICAL DOGGIE TREATS, hope you enjoy.
Evvvvvvvvvery dog i've ever made these for goes crazy nutters for them,dog walk even if they usually don't like treats.

"LIVER COOKIES"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 CUP CHICKEN LIVER
1 CUP YELLOW VEGGIE (like carrots)
1 CUP GREEN VEGGIE (like green beans)
1 egg (optional, but they fall apart easier without egg)
Oats to thicken, if necessary.

Cook the top 3 ingredients in way you like,grill, boil, broil, steam, bake. (I usally boil them). I only add veggies to cut the calorie count down, liver is Loaded with calories, vitamin A, etc etc.

Drain all cooked ingredients, and MIX all ingredients (except the oats) together, using beaters. LET THE DOG LICK THE BEATERS!dog

If mixture is not quite thick enough, you can add in small handful of oats to thicken it up. (if you don't add oats, the more watery version seems to take wayyyy longer to cook is only difference)

Heat oven to 450 degrees-----
Drop by spoonfuls onto BLUE SILICONE RUBBER COOKIE SHEET LINER,
or these WILL stick like mad. shock You've been warned.

After you drop the dough, sort of flatten it a bit, so it is not so thick as to not cook through.

If these are gifts, shape them nicely into round lil cookies, otherwise, the DOG doesn't care, ha ha.

BAKE x 30 to 45 minutes------------- til they are firm-ish.
These have a hamburger-y texture when done.

COOL.
let the DOG LICK THE BOWL, TOO!!

Bag up a weeks worth into each baggie, and drop the baggies into a FREEZER BAG to store leftovers.

!!!DOGS LOVE THESE!!!

NO FLOUR
NO SUGAR
NO SALT
NO PRESERVATIVES
NO ADDED FATS
NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING.
Just HEALTHY lil ECONOMICAL, EASY, "Liver Cookies" that dogs go NUTTERS for. snoopy

i break up each cookies into small bits for training purposes, (if he got a whole cookie for each click, as much as we train, he'd get FULL!)

HOPE YOU ENJOY THESE!! AND I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THE ABOVE RECIPES.
smile
[notify]
BUDDY- SHAWSHANK

LOVES TO LEARN- TRICKS!

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 10:51pm PST 
i should add, that my "Liver Cookies" recipe above
(which evvvveryone asks me for the recipe, i've had ppl just Exclaim how much even their pickiest dog LOVED them)smile DO have to be generally stored IN THE FRIDGE, and the rest of the treats, i keep in freezer.

I DO fill my training pouch with these treats, and lug them around for an hour or two, though, no problem. Maybe longer at room temp, i've never tried that though.

Otherwise, i do have a cooler in vehicle for the rest of the day, if we're gone all day, for add'l treats.

ALSO, i can take some of the FROZEN treats,big grin and haul those around for quite a long time, dogs WILL eat these frozen, too, oh yes they will!!

but for training i DO break them into small bits. Dogs don't care how big a treat is. My dog even scours the floor for crumbs. (no crumb is too small for HIM, ha ha)
He gets bigger bits for breakthroughs, difficult tricks, etc etc. But just for clicking, he gets a small bit, not whole cookie.

THESE TREATS MAKE IDEAL GIFTS FOR DOGS THAT YOU KNOW, too. party
[notify]
JJ

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 12:39pm PST 
@Jena - I do not have a dehydrator and was wondering if I could cook the chicken in the oven at a low temperature???
[notify]
JJ

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 12:41pm PST 
@ Bella and Daisy - do either of your treats need to be kept in the fridge?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 12:55pm PST 
Buddy, I will have to try your no starch liver cookies as I have lots of chicken liver in the freezer. Wouldn't they stick together better if the liver was pureed raw then mixed with cooked veggies and egg?

Even if the home cooked cookie is completely dry it is better to store cold as there are no additives that prevent mold and bacterial growth. Our home cooked goodies are too important to take chances with! I store in the freezer and get out a week's worth to keep in the refrigerator. I don't worry if dry cookies are out for a day or semi moist are out for a couple hours.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2