GO!

Help! barking dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Dobey

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 8:35pm PST 
Hi I have a doberman and he is 9 months old. he has a problem, when he sees a dog first he smells them then he stands there barking at the dogs face. Even when he is off leash he stands there barking at their face.
He doesn't want to play because when they chase him he run behind me. It happens nonstop and people are starting to get angry.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 3:23pm PST 
Fear Period? Is it on leash, off leash or both? I would manage his environment and not allow these meet and greets. It MAY (emphasize MAY)be the start of reactivity. You might want to check out Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown.
[notify]
Dobey

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 5:52pm PST 
It happens both on and off leash.
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 5:55pm PST 
All dogs? Specific dogs? Strange dogs?

My guess is reactivity. He goes into fight or flight, tries to bluff them away and when it does not work, he runs.
[notify]
Dobey

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 6:11pm PST 
It happens both on and off leash.
[notify]
Dobey

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 7:36pm PST 
He does it to all dogs, even the dogs he knows.
[notify]