The positives of senior dogs.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:08pm PST 
Hey all.wave

I thought it would be neat to get a list going of all the positive things about having a senior dog. Many often focus on the negatives in terms of degenerative changes and health problems...but what about the upsides?

What do YOU like about your senior dog? What are some positives to having these old farts?big grin
[notify]
Happy

the australian- sheep(herd)

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 11:04pm PST 
Happy is in his teens and still kickin'. Good stuff:
Hardly needs any food, very slow metabolism
Always know where he is (underfoot smile )
Don't have to worry about him tracking mud and burs into the house, since he doesn't romp in the woods any more
Doesn't need walks to be calm indoors
Just happy to lay in the sun and receive belly rubs
Not fast enough to actually catch the squirrels
is going deaf so he doesn't bark at every little sound like he used to (house is much quieter.)

All in all, senior dogs are great if you just want a big furry lovebug to hang out with, their exercise and stimulation needs are very low, and nothing much phases them anymore, they've seen it all. I love old dogs. smile
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sat Jul 30, '11 5:37am PST 
I agree--I worry this forum has gotten too negative. I have younger seniors 8-12 and most are in great health, I know plenty in good health that are older. My seniors still enjoy walks and outings but they are not crazily running the entire time. They are trained and calmer then they were in the past. they are more then happy to sit on the couch and cuddle. I truly think with proper care the senior years can be the best of a dogs life
[notify]

Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Sat Jul 30, '11 7:44am PST 
Okay I'll bite. Ginger is the old lady in our house.

I Love the grey hair on her black muzzle! I think gray hair makes dogs look distinguished.

You don't have to run or walk fast on walks. A nice leisurely stroll will do.

Like happy said they are content to just lay in the sun and get belly rubs and they are too slow to catch small furry creatures.

They are just content to snooze the day away.

Its much more rewarding to see a senior dog run and play or get excited about something than a younger dog.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 12:57am PST 
oooooooooo the cuddles are even more meaning fullway to go
if i look at misty's gray muzzle i love her even more than i all ready did
all the years,the deep bond we have...the memory's we share.
we know eichother so well
i love to see her lying on her sunny spot,rolling around in the grass.
i love how calm she is is.
when she was young,she was pretty dominant and she would like to get into dogfights
now she is very mellow lol
things have slowed down
no more hours of walks.
no more trying to drain energy
just enjoying retiremend togethersnoopyhappy dance
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 7:49am PST 
Senior dogs are awesome. I love how you can totally trust them. My girl Angel would just hang out no matter where we were. We could have all the doors open and she'd be out front laying in the driveway just soaking up sun. When we went camping and stuff we could always trust her to stick around without really even having to watch her that closely. I love how mellow and sweet they are. Just quiet and totally chill.
[notify]
Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 9:43am PST 
When Lucky was older, she definitely demonstrated the positives.

She didn't need to go bike 5 miles anymore, a nice walk around the block was all. She would still play tug, but wouldn't nearly pop my shoulder out in the process since she was much more gentle. Calm calm calm indoors, just ready to chill and receive and give love. She was totally trust worthy in the house, and was just a good girl. No more killing of the forest critters, which was nice because 1) No unsightly carcasses in the yard and 2) She didn't smell like death. She would still bark and keep most of em' out of the yard, but she couldn't really catch them anymore.

Older dogs are great if you want a calm but loving companion who is ready to relax and just enjoy the golden years.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 9:30am PST 
Well, maybe when Sanka's legs give out, then I could trust him more to hang around.laugh out loud He's still a hound mixed with the energizer bunny. While he tires easily and is content with shorter walks, he will still push himself to go, go, go if given the freedom.

I also noticed that with Sanka, walks do not have to be as long distance wise, but they still last as long time wise. Half mile that normally took a few minutes now takes twice as long. So, we are still out and about for the same amount of time, just don't cover as long a distance. You really get ample time to take in the scenery.big grin

Another thing is that he won't jump up on or get too giddy when other people go to pet him. A soft tail wag is what they get greeted with.

Also, trust to not destroy things. I could surround Sanka with a million things and leave him in that room for a week straight and he would not touch any of those items. This trust became too much of a habit when I adopted Kato as a puppy.laugh out loud When Sanka's bored, he sleeps. When a younger dog is bored, they'll find something to do!
[notify]
Romeo - RIP We Love- You

I love everybody

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 10:59pm PST 
Romeo - pack leader example and all around wonderful guy. Snuggled when I was upset licked when he felt like it and smiled constantly. Senior dogs and what they call senior is a wonderful time of life. They are into belly scratches, know who and where they are, are completely ok with themselves, have stable potty habits, and are the only dogs I will be adopting. They know humans as well as they know dogs. They know how to laugh smile and beg and they know just how to worm their way into your heart like no other dog has.
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:51am PST 
Whats not to love about a senior dog. We know manners, love to just hang out, still have a sense of humor, look distinguished wink and know all the right moves to get a tummy rub. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4