GO!

Fireworks topic.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:01pm PST 
Dumb question. So. Are most dogs scared of fireworks?

Basically, I wanted to walk around town for the 4th, and watch the fireworks display (for free)

Of course I'd have to bring Abner.

If he was scared I'd leave right away of course.

But I do really wanna go.

Is this a terrible idea? He hasn't been scared of thunder or firecrackers. I just don't want to be a horrible dog mom. This is my first 4th with my own pooch. I only have a bit to decide. Fireworks are in 2.5 hours.
[notify]
Lucy

Squeeky toys are- the bomb!

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:13pm PST 
Lucy is scared to death right now. Last night she couldn't get calmed down so she got half a benadryl so she would sleep. She is not eating and I have to make her go outside. This is going to be a long weekend for us. She hates the fireworks.
Good luck taking your dog out in the mix of things. I hope he likes them better than Lucy!
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:27pm PST 
I'm sorry Lucy is feeling so poorly.

We're lucky and fireworks are banned in most cities here, so we don't have to deal with the recreational street fireworks. Sometimes people do firecrackers, but not very nearby.

I just don't know. I won't be taking him to the highschool where they're actually doing them and having everyone hang out, but I'd just sort of be in town. Hmm.
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:32pm PST 
Sometimes you don't know until you go.

Daisy is cool with thunder, gun fire and fireworks. But cannon fire was too much.

And yes, I took her where there was cannon fire (it was an event where I was living) and when she didn't like it, we left. No harm, no foul.
[notify]
Lucy

Squeeky toys are- the bomb!

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:38pm PST 
This is the first year fireworks have been legal in my town since the 60's so it's also my first year having a dog who is so exposed. I really feel sorry for her right now. If I move from right next to her she crawls in the laundry basket and stays there until I get her out.
She normally acts like a big bad terrier so this is unusual for her. I hope she isn't scarred for life.
[notify]
Vespa

The Little- Turdlette

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:49pm PST 
My 7 month old pup is experiencing fireworks for the first time. She's been terrified since last night. I have never had a dog with a phobia, so It's also going to be a LONG weekend.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:56pm PST 
It really varies by dog. Quincy really couldn't care less, but he is a retriever, and I think gun dogs tend to be less reactive to it, all of those years of being gun-steady being bred into the lines.... A theory, but I've found it to be pretty true for the most part. Now, my herders, whole other story. They are reactive to the tenth power, and fireworks are totally rattling them now. Booms go as I type. With Rescue Rememdy and valium we can get through the worst of it, but with the next paycheck am planning on buying some Thundershirts, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Flynn and Riley aren't destructive around it, but they drool and pant and shake and can't, won't, sleep. Quincy is crashed on my bed now, though, wouldn't know there was anything going out there. I have taken him to fireworks shows (as I did with all of my service dog pups) and he always does very well, but he is a very steady, "bullet-proof" kind of guy. So, you can always try, but be ready to get out of dodge if it's too much for him. Make sure you bring super delicious treats and make it as fun as possible smile
[notify]
Riley

Treats?? Oh- yeahhh!!

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:58pm PST 
Our town does fireworks a couple of weeks into July and we are planning on bringing Riley. We won't know until he is exposed to them for the first time if he will be okay or not...hoping he is!
[notify]
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 8:14pm PST 
We tried Vivace around smaller fireworks before taking her to the ones the city puts on. Good thing for us she thinks it is time to hunt and goes all crazy, add my sister's GSP into the mix and we have more fun laughing at them watching the fireworks, going into full points, whining and butts wiggling than seeing the show.

Now Skippy on the other hand gets freaked out by them. Someone stays home with him or we crate him during those times. He also hates thunder.

I think it just depends on each dog. Some get scared and some don't.
[notify]
Jay Jay jr.

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 8:28pm PST 
I am very scared of big booms, thunder and lightening. My mommy gives me rescue remedy and it helps to calm me down.hughughughug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2