GO!

My local specialty petstore bought out by Petco!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 8:33am PST 
I just heard some disheartening news and I need to vent! My local specialty petstore (Complete Petmart) was just bought by Petco. I say disheartening because I use certain pet foods that Petco doesn't currently carry....Nature's Variety for my dogs and Acana for my cat. Now I will probably have to find another store to buy my animals' food. There are two more local stores that can get the food for me, so it looks like I will be buying from them and I guess I feel lucky that they can get it. I could also order some of it online. Just not the raw medallions. I know it will work out, but it still saddens me when things happen. I'm also the kind of person that doesn't like change hahaha, so this will take some getting used to. I also just became a product demonstrator for NV and haven't even had any demos yet I'm so new lol. I hope this doesn't affect that, too. frown
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 2:28pm PST 
That really stinks. I hate it when big boxes buy out local places, even if the local place was higher priced.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 4:04am PST 
I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm in Ohio too so it's disheartening to me too because I plan on feeding Acana once in a while(rotation diet) and they're the only place I know that carries it around me, unless I order it online.
[notify]

Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 7:30am PST 
@Shadow..it is official that Petco bought Complete Petmart. I only hope they can negotiate keeping the higher end foods like Nature's Variety, Orijen/Acana, TOTW. Btw, if they don't keep these foods and you live near a Pet People, they do carry them. Online is an option, of course, but not as desirable Imo.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 12:52pm PST 
Unfortunately the closest Pet People is an hour away.
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 12:19pm PST 
frown
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 1:46pm PST 
Man i hope that doesnt happen to the store i go to. Its a smaller pet store but they have everything you need and i mean everything, they even sell orijen!! I love their low prices on food and supplies. I rarely go to petco or petsmart. Only if i absolutely have to or if with other people laugh out loud
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 2:46pm PST 
We use a Complete Petmart too. They said that it'll be months before any changes are made, and even then they may keep some stuff - like TOTW, hopefully. Otherwise, its back to buying stuff at Tractor Supply store for us. I'm not too bummed about it though. That was literally the -only- petstore around and they had really high prices on everything but food.
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 11:12am PST 
Here is the official post that was on Pet Products News website.

Petco Acquires Complete Petmart Chain
Posted: June 8, 2011, 4:10 p.m., EDT

Petco has purchased Complete Petmart, a 29-store chain with locations in Ohio, North Carolina and West Virginia. Petco reported today that it has acquired all the assets of Ohio-based pet specialty chain Complete Petmart. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“Complete Petmart has been a popular destination for pet parents in this region for more than 25 years, and we’re proud to continue their tradition of providing high-quality products and superior customer service,” said Petco CEO Jim Myers. “We’re excited and look forward to becoming actively involved in the communities we're joining and to helping more pet parents give their pets the quality life they deserve.”

Complete Petmart operates 29 small box stores in Ohio, North Carolina and West Virginia, with most stores located in the Dayton, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky metropolitan areas.

The acquisition significantly expands Petco’s presence in the region, particularly in the Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati markets, bringing the total number of Petco stores in the Buckeye State to 41.

“We saw an opportunity to expand our presence in the area,” said Petco spokeswoman Lisa Epstein. “Complete Petmart has a great operation, a loyal customer base and it was the right fit at the right time.”

Complete Petmart stores will remain open and all 230 employees will be retained, according to Petco. Complete Petmart co-owners Kevin Manley and Tim Rogers will stay on with Petco in a professional capacity, Epstein said.

“Partnering with Petco’s strengths and best practices will propel the successful growth of the proven Complete Petmart format,” Manley and Rogers said in a joint statement.

San Diego-based Petco plans to eventually rebrand Complete Petmart stores as Petco stores. Pet owners are advised to be on the look out for grand opening announcements in the coming weeks. A timeline of the change-over was not yet available.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 12:48am PST 
I hate Petco too. Not because of the fact that they are a big-box store, but because of the fact that BECAUSE they are a big-box store, they can care less about you. Anyways, after they bought out the local Pet People, I noticed a lot of brands pulled out. But I did find a great alternative. I began buying food online on WAG.COM (I believe this company is affiliated with Amazon or at least advertises on the website)
They have a huge selection of things you don't find at Petco/Petsmart. They have both Acana AND Orijen which if you are familiar with the brand, know how hard it is to find it stocked at a local store. They prices are pretty good, and shipping is free if you buy over a small minimum. The shipping is lightning fast. I put the order in online on Sunday night, and on Tuesday, the box was sitting in front of the door. Also, their customer service is great.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2