GO!

What car do you have?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 2:33pm PST 
Hey everyone!
So I'm thinking of getting my first car within the next year and I was wondering what kind of cars people have and why?

I want a car that has fold flat seats and room for 2 dog crates and trial stuff smile

I currently borrow my mom's 1999 Volvo V70 Wagon and it works.

I am thinking of the Rav4, Dodge Caliber wagon, Mazda5 van...that's all I have thought of smile

Would love to hear people's ideas smile
[notify]
Shelly (CGC,- JHD-s-g,- JS-N, RS

Hardcore- Corgi-is getting- her own SHEEP!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 2:43pm PST 
I have a Ford Escape and LOVE IT! Its my Dog Hauler,it always has two folded crates (that tuck quite nicely behind the driver and passenger seats with the back seats down) tiggers Life Vest, some dog water what ever agility equipment/ herding equipment Im carting around that week. For the two dogs its perfect, Ive even been able to fit 2 extra bulldogs along with tigger and shelly and everyone is happy : )
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 3:40pm PST 
I wanted an Escape, but ended up with an Explorer (needed towing capability more than gas mileage). I keep a tub with tub with car essentials, either an x-pen or two soft crates, a camp chair, and a bag with misc. training material in there at all times. My dogs ride in seatbelts, but I can easily fit two 300 crates in the back cargo area without laying the seats flat (so easily transporting 4 dogs and gear).
[notify]

Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 5:09pm PST 
I have a Kia Sportage (the SUV-type, not the new crossover-type). It's a lot like the Ford Escape in regards to size. I can fold flat the back seat AND the passenger seat for lots of room. It's not a huge vehicle and gets decent gas mileage for an SUV (18 city/26 hwy).
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 6:52pm PST 
My suggestion- Toyota 4runner. My brothers have Toyotas and swear by them.

As for what I drive- whatever I can get my hands on lol. Currently alternating between a Ford Mustang (convertible, love it, has the worlds smallest back seat and trunk, but it’s so awesome that I squish the dogs and their gear in there anyway,) and a Dodge Stratus (worst car ever made, right after the exploding Ford Pinto, breaks down literally every five minutes.)
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 6:59pm PST 
I've got a '96 Jeep Cherokee. It works perfectly for me, and has ruined all other possibility of other cars for my lifetime. My favorite vehicle ever, period. (Can you tell I'm biased...)

On a more technical note, it's small. Most people thing the Cherokee is big but it's NOT. I can fit one big crate in the back facing the hatch or two facing the windows with the seats down. The seats up, a smaller crate in the back, maybe two. It's defiantly not for big dogs that's for sure. Small dogs fit perfect.
Gas mileage, 20 tops highway... with no payload. Not the best out there in that class XD
It does have four wheel drive and handles very well, turning radius like a dime.

As for the why... I needed a car when I moved out, found an ad for the Jeep online, checked it out, came home with it. I love Jeeps, trucks, SUV's... those sorts of things. I wanted a car I could go offroad in, that wasn't huge, that I didn't need to worry about dirt inside and generally was a good rugged vehicle. My Jeep is perfect for me, and works very well as a dog car as long as I don't get anything bigger than a 70 pound dog.

But I don't think that's what you're looking for. I have heard good things about the Honda Element as a dog car, and the Subaru Outback.
There was a recentish thread about this very subject... Don't know where it went though.

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 7:02pm PST

[notify]
Homer

Homer's Where- the Heart is

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 7:15pm PST 
I have a Mercury Mariner (basically an Escape) I love it! Although if we get another dog I will have to get a bigger car. If Homer wasn't so huge it could fit two dogs.

Here is a link for the other thread about dog cars
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Movies_Books_and_Entertainme nt/thread/702623
Remove any spaces.
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 8:05pm PST 
What a question! I used to have a Rav 4...great car for two big dogs. put down the back seats and away you go. But then one day, I saw my Figaro and on am impulse traded in my logical car for this one. Tiny car with the two front seats and a back imaginary seat. Not practical at all. But GORGEOUS!!! It does have a softtop, so the boy is in heaven to ride in athe back with his head in the wind.
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 8:05pm PST 
sorry double post oops

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 8:05pm PST

[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 8:45pm PST 
Uh a Civic. LOL
[notify]