GO!

My dog whines, chews on himself, then throws up.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 4:24pm PST 
I know that the whining and chewing could be allergies but has anyone had a problem with throwing up with allergies?
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:08pm PST 
Where is your dog chewing on himself? Just curious as sometimes dogs will chew on areas that are hurting. Could he be so anxious that he vomits out of stress? Also, is he actually vomiting or is he spitting up a little bile?
Is he broken out on his skin? Itchy all over or only in one spot?
I hope you can fiqure out what is going on, you may need to go to the vet too see if everything he is doing is related or not. Every dog is different in how they deal with things. Some dogs are very stoic while others are very vocal about everything.
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 11:43am PST 
Nakita Mae,
I have been working with my vet on this for quite awhile. We have tried various things. He mainly chews on groin area but will also chew on legs, tail, paws, behind. I was ruling out allergies for awhile because it wasn't happening everytime after he eats, but it just sounds so much like when dogs do have an allergic reaction. I just don't know why he throws up. He throws up his food not bile.

Edited by author Fri May 13, '11 11:45am PST

[notify]

Daisy- ♥

How can you say- no to this face?

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 11:53am PST 
If the vet can't find any cause for it, could it be behavior that he learned? When we were in puppy class with Daisy years ago, the trainer there told us about a woman who had a dog that was constantly vomiting for no reason whatsoever. The vet couldn't find anything and said it had to be a training issue. She was skeptical but took the dog to our trainer. They eventually discovered that when the dog was a puppy, she would overeat and vomit up what she couldn't hold and the woman would pick her up and love on her a little bit, like someone would with a child. Well, the dog associated this with positive reinforcment and thought she was being rewarded for vomiting...so she taught herself how to do it. I don't know what the trainer did to help her fix it, but she did tell us that it could often be difficult to correct an unintentional behavior like that once the dog has learned it.

This probably doesn't help but just wanted to throw the story out there. Do you think he might be picking up some loose fur then gagging on it?
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 3:46pm PST 
Daisy,those are both things I had not yet considered. I don't think it's learned though because he gets so irritated whith whatever is bothering him before he throws up. We just need to know if it is a direct reaction to the irritation or if there is another problem causing the irritation that then makes him throw up. He had an x-ray that didn't show any blockage but I guess you can't always see everything with a standard x-ray. And the hair idea is a good thought too, but he definitely does the whole stomach wretching kind of vomit rather than gagging.
Thanks so much for the input.

Edited by author Fri May 13, '11 3:47pm PST

[notify]
Ellie

Did I hear- WALK?!?!

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 5:37pm PST 
Hmmmm... Did this start happening recently or has it been going on for a while?
[notify]
Ellie

Did I hear- WALK?!?!

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 5:49pm PST 
Wait, you said you have been working on it with your vet for a while. You could try switching to a different (grain free?) food, just to confirm if it's an allergy. If it is, we'll go from there.
Other thoughts: could it be a new kind of treat? Does he eat grass? Could you try a new kind of maybe itch-free or non-allergenic shampoo (do you think he's chewing because he's itchy, or does it seem more like stress?)
Good luck and keep us updated! hug
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 9:48am PST 
Have you ever tried switching the food to an elimination diet? Basically choose a food that is grain and corn free and has an unusual protein that your dog does not normally eat (lamb, duck, venison, white fish, kangaroo, etc) and see if the allergies let up. I imagine that if a dog is stressed enough by constant allergy symptoms, enough stress can cause an uneasy stomach.
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 10:24am PST 
Thanks Ellie and Charlie for your input as well. I have tried switching foods, a few times, right now he is on that limited ingredient lamb and rice formula. I have decided to have that allergy blood test done. I am really hoping it solves all his problems!! I have heard those tests are accurate in nailing allergies, and even if that isn't his whole problem I do think it is part of his problem.
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 10:09am PST 
Not allergies, the good news is he is not allergic to anything, but still don't know why he is having his issue.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4