GO!

What do you do when your vet wont do blood work and you cannot get in contact with them for 3 days?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 7:10pm PST 
Maggie as many of you know is my Siberian husky who developed a seizure disorder last December just two weeks after we moved into our current home. She has been having seizures once to twice a month since then. Normally she will have four at the most and they only last from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Her seizures can be as varied in form as they are in length,but most of them are the same. She will be laying on her side and her back will be bowed her front legs stick out straight and stiff while she paddles with her back legs. She will foam at the mouth but she never is totally out of it. you can touch her or speak her name and she will come out of it. However Saterday she had at least 5 to 6 seizures and we are not sure if she bit her tongue or the inside of her upper lip but we found small amounts of blood on the floor under her muzzle. I will be telling her vet about this tomorrow when we go pick up her medicine. And I am going to ask him about adding something to help keep the seizures under control better. She can go as long as 20 days with out one but that is as long as she can go and the seizures seem to be getting more and more intense. They dont last any longer than normal but they are becoming more violent. She has always been in the middle of the room away from anything that she could hit her head on when she has a seizure so we know she has not hit her head. Should we be forcing the vet to do the blood work that he wont even mention doing or should we find a new vet? We left the last one because he was too rough he would tie the dog down and then handle them roughly just to give shots.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 7:43pm PST 
What are you expecting to find in the blood work? Perhaps the vet is just trying to save you money by not recommending tests that typically do not show anything other than the dog being normal.
[notify]
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 7:57pm PST 
A reason for the seizures. I need answers as to what is causing her seizures what is making her sick. That way I know what I can do to help make her comfortable. Something has got to be done to ease my mind. I dont like seeing her suffer with these seizures that are getting worse each time she has them. They never change in length from their 30 second to 3 minute length. Each time she has seizures it seems to take her longer to recover from them and I want to know why she is having them. IF it were one of your dogs wouldnt you want to know so that you didnt have to feel like it was your fault that she was having them?
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 7:58pm PST 
Blood work can show if seizures are from a liver or kidney problem. It can also show if it's a thyroid or sugar problem. Sometimes seizures can be caused by tick diseases. I think it's very important you get bloodwork and I'd want be going to a vet who has experience with seizures. It is hard to find a good vet for some of us so I understand where you're coming from. Regardless of finding a cause of the seizures or not, you need routine bloodwork for the medications Maggie is on to monitor their level in the blood, and her liver and kidneys.

ETA: Maggie, sometimes a cause can not be found in typical tests. Sometimes seizures are genetic or caused by vaccines and other chemical exposures. Vets will call this "idiopathic epilepsy"

Please see the guardian angels website
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

And join the yahoo group k9epilepsy - they are very supportive and can give you more options for managing the seizures
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/k9epilepsy/

Edited by author Tue Mar 8, '11 8:01pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 8:10pm PST 
Yes, I would probably request lab tests. But you also let Maggie run out of meds, which just told your vet that controlling her seizures is not important to you. (I can tell you, no matter you "reason" that is the message it sent).

"Maggie, sometimes a cause can not be found in typical tests."

Sometimes, the brain electrical activity is just off without a cause, but people try to blame it one something that can not be proven.

Many times seizures are idiopathic. A friend did mention that rosemary (generally safe for dogs) can increase seizure activity so check your treats and dog food ingredients.

Edited by author Tue Mar 8, '11 8:12pm PST

[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 8:37pm PST 
I would definitely push the labwork, not only is that usually the first thing we do when dogs are having multiple seizures, it's important if they are on any of the anti-seizure drugs as well as they can be extremely hard on their liver. If he won't do bloodwork, I'd find another vet.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 9:11pm PST 
Sometimes, the brain electrical activity is just off without a cause, but people try to blame it one something that can not be proven

And sometimes, people can't accept the possible causes. I sympathise. I know Leah's seizures were caused by vaccinosis confirmed by Dr. Dodds, and I was the one who let her have a lot of vaccines at first. But I don't blame myself fully. I don't blame any owner. And I don't think Maggie's owner should feel guilt. Just keep searching Maggie, join that yahoo group, get a vet who has experience with seizures or at least one who is more willing to be proactive about this, the yahoo group will help you more with what you should ask for.
[notify]
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 9:11pm PST 
B & D - I don't think it's fair to assume that Maggie's owners ran out of medicine. As far as I can tell, they just mentioned going to pick it up, not running out of it. Clearly, one can go pick up medicine before the current supply runs out.

Let's not read into things and accuse people of not caring about their dogs.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 10:18pm PST 
Hi all, I agree that blood work should be done if anything just to help rule out problems that may be causing the seizures, we would automatically do blood work with the mention of seizure activity, then go from there. I would think that your Vet is already doing a phenobarbital level to see where the levels are since she has been on meds already that is assuming she is on phenobarbital.
Is she taking anything else besides phenobarbital?
Also, have you looked into acupuncture? There has been some great success stories using acupuncture, we see clients who have been able to take their dogs off medications since they have started acupunture. We place acupuncture staples into the ears at certain points where they stay.
Has your Vet done skull xrays, there again just to rule out any tumor problems in the brain.
It does not sound like hypoglycemic problems as there are not any other physical symptoms or at least I did not read any, such as stumbling, lethargy, excessive hunger/thirst, vocalizing, trembleing. Most of the time with a hypo you will see other symptoms before you see a hypo caused seizure, but than not all animals react the same. Some animals can be diabetic, insulin regulated and all of a sudden have some issues with hypoglycemia. But with a well regulated diabetic the owner will know their pets "data" and know if they are not doing well as they are testing at home.
I do hope you can find a reason for the seizures but there are many cases of dogs and cats where we do not find a reason, but the pets are still treated.
If your Vet does not calm your fears and respect your wishes to test than time to find another, someone more compassionate to your wishes.
Lots of puppy prayers coming your way.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 10:21pm PST 
Oops, the sentence about how animals react to a hypo should have been, "not all animals react the same" sorry.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4