GO!

HELP! Dandruff problem.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 6:59pm PST 
Harley is a 7 1/2 yr old Rott-Aussie mix with an Aussie coat. He is also my service dog, so solving this ASAP is of up most importance!

Harley has allergies (chicken, turkey, lamb, rice, oats, soy, wheat, green pea, brewers yeast) and about a year ago we found and started using this awesome shampoo that is a coal tar and hydrocortisone shampoo that stopped all the itching and hot spots immediately and completely.

About a 6 weeks ago, Harley started having this pretty bad dandruff (no itching, just the white flakes). I think its because of our dry winter, but I'm not 100% sure.

He also gets plain yogurt with his dinner. He eats Wellness Core, Ocean Formula.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this under control? Would using conditioner (maine and tail) help? What about using Allerpet-D, would that help? Any other ideas?
[notify]
Haunter

Ch. BIS- Wandering Spirit- Vom Wildweg CGC

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 4:24am PST 
I don't think using mane and tail would make a difference.

If he was my pooch I would do a hot oil treatment.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 12:29pm PST 
Try using salmon oil that usually does the trick. I use grizzly's oil.
[notify]

Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 12:42pm PST 
Sounds like Samoa who is also part Aussie. I got a small bottle of cocoa butter and I part his hair and just put a dab on and rub it in. It seems to be helping.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 7:49pm PST 
My little Halo has dandruff but, he loves his daily fish oil capsules (2 per day) and it fixes the flakes in a couple of weeks. Halo is a pup so, I suspect it's just from transitioning him form pack life in the den to indoor living and he will be fine once his body adapts to the human world he has to live in for the rest of his life.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 9:30pm PST 
add salmon oil and vitamin e oil to the food (the natural forum d-alpha-tocopherol, around 200-40O IU a day).
I recently discovered this really good shampoo and conditioned made with emu oil, it really helps with dry skin. They also have a moisturizing spray to help between baths. Uno gets dry skin in the winter and this really helped to keep his skin moisturized.

http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=1217&camid=PET

http: //www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=G7-K4&camid=PET
[notify]
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 5:47pm PST 
I would suggest switching to a raw or homecooked diet, which would likely help clear it up. You can buy pre-made frozen raw from many pet supply stores. But other than that, I agree with the other posters that salmon oil could help. My schnauzer, Mika, also gets hot spots due to allergies and she gets two fish oil capsules daily.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:58am PST 
This has been an issue for both humans and dogs this winter here...I bought a decent humidifier and run it in the room where Lu spends most of her time. That has helped a lot.

I also use a similar shampoo to the one you're already using, prescribed by Lu's vet for her dry skin. I started adding a conditioner afterwards. Like many here, I've found fish oil to be a big help, too. I also increased the ratio of wet food to dry to bring in more moisture to the diet.
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 5:10pm PST 
Adding fish oil can help flakies from the inside-out, and in the meantime finding a moisturizing shampoo may help - KENIC makes an emu oil shampoo that is supposed to be excellent for even the most sensitive dogs and it is detergent- and soap-free. I am buying a bottle for my crested girl, who does NOT have dandruff but DOES have dry ashy skin because of this awful cold, dry winter weather. Running a humidifier can help too!
[notify]