GO!

Is it illegal to "euthanize" your own dog?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 7:06pm PST 
If this is a touchy topic for anyone, I kindly ask that HQ remove it, but I have been trying to find this information on the internet and haven't been able to.

I am NOT in ANY WAY considering doing this to Daegan or any other pet that I may own in the future. I'm only asking this just to know so that the next time I witness this, I can report it, if it is illegal. I have seen/heard of people shooting, beating to death, poisoning, etc, their dogs if the dog was sick and the owner did not know what was wrong with it and didn't want to take it to the vet for whatever reason. It is extremely common in my area.

Is it illegal to do this?
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 7:14pm PST 
Yes it is. In Canada and the US. It is considered in humane treatment, causing pain, not vetting the dog ect ect. BAD BAD BAD, espcially beating to death. Do not get me wrong the are all horrible but BEATING to death ouch.... poor babies
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 7:23pm PST 
I agree. I think it's horrible. Unfortunately I do know first hand someone who beat a puppy to death because she was bleeding from her nose, ears, and anus and did not know what was wrong with her. He told me to put her out of her misery, he had to do it, and had no other means to do it (i.e. a gun.) frown

I had heard someone say it was legal as long as it was a quick gun shot to the head. But I've also heard that sometimes a shot doesn't kill right away either.
[notify]

Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 7:28pm PST 
I would report if I am uncomfortable... better to be safe then sorry, as in court KNOWING about the crime makes you an accessory
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 7:39pm PST 
I know. And had anything come up in the media where someone found a beaten-to-death puppy in the woods somewhere and the police were looking for information, you bet your bottom dollar I would have reported it. But at the time, I didn't know if it was illegal or not, it just happens so often around here... frown
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:31am PST 
No, actually, not in many places. You can't torture your dog to death but you are well within reason to "humanely" put it to death (ie., shooting it).

Mills tend to do this from time to time, where it's allowed (more places than you'd like), to get rid of old stock and breeders.
[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 10:47am PST 
I was gonna say, last I knew shooting them was legal. Farmers in my area do it a lot, especially if its a bad injury.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 11:52am PST 
It is illegal where I live in FL. Including single gunshots to the head.

Edited by author Fri Jan 21, '11 11:56am PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 11:59am PST 
> When done correctly, a single bullet into the head can be a perfectly humane way of ending the life a suffering animal. And for horses, cattle, and other livestock, in some circumstances it can be difficult to arrange better alternatives.

The kicker is that not everyone, not even most people, who have guns know how to do it correctly. And even if you know in theory, if emotion makes your hand shake, the consequences can be bad. And because of that, in many places it's illegal. A big divider is urban vs. rural. It's a lot more likely to be legal in rural areas, and a lot more likely to be illegal in urban and suburban areas.

The other methods are simply not humane under any circumstances, and are not legal.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 12:58pm PST 
Several years ago, we had a cow, Sweet Pea, who went into calving paralysis after loosing a calf. We don't have a big animal vet that will come out to our property. We used too, but he "retired" after he was caught prescribing meds to two legged patients. We are out of the area for all other large animal vets.

My small animal vet (who used to have a large animal practice and is well versed in cattle) gave us the meds to try to bring her out of paralysis. After about 6 weeks of hand feeding, bringing out buckets of water, doing shots, etc..., we knew she wasn't going to get better. We didn't have a vet that could/would come out and put her down, and we couldn't let her suffer. So, we did what we had to do. It was not an easy decision to make or easy to do.

Now, with my dogs.....I would have a hard enough time having the vet do it. There is no way I could do it myself.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10