GO!

Reyna's spay has been scheduled

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 8:09pm PST 
Reyna goes on the 24th to be spayed.
It makes me sad and scared. I hate the idea of my baby girl being put under, but I know at this point it is what is best for her and our family. We just moved, but I was able to quickly find a vet who I like and am comfortable with. We discussed anasthesia protocol at length, and she was very good about addressing my concerns without talking down to me or making me feel stupid.
We have indeed opted to do a full spay instead of a partial spay because her heat cycles make her miserable and mess her skin up really bad. Because dogs who have a partial spay still have the heat cycle hormonally, doing a partial spay would not alleviate her symptoms.
We also have opted to do it before age 2 (only by 2 mos) because she may go through another heat cycle if we wait (her last two cycles have been pretty screwed up), and at this point, we just don't feel that it is in her best interest to get through one more heat cycle, or to risk it happening just to wait a few months.
It breaks my heart... I almost feel like I should just have my husband drop of her off so that she doesn't pick up on how bad I am feeling about the situation. On the other hand, my dogs tend to trust me and want me in order to feel safe when it comes to new situations, how could I leave her high and dry?
Ugh... How do you guys do this emotionally? It makes me never want another female dog (unless already spayed) just because it is so scary to me.

Edited by author Sat Jan 8, '11 7:09am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 8:14pm PST 
It sounds like you found a great vet. I know how hard it is to have your dog put under- been there 4 times in the last few years (spay, growth, tooth, and another growth- different dogs!). Just remind yourself that the vet knows what he is doing. A spay in a healthy dog is routine, with minimal complications. With how sick Reyna gets from going into heat, I think you're making the right choice. Good luck!
[notify]
Nova

i haz mai bone

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 8:15pm PST 
I'm sure you will be doing the bloodwork for Reyna before you take her for her spay. Remember you are doing this for her! It's to better her quality of life! Spay's are really routine surgery and I think it's much harder on us humans than the animals.
I'm sure others will have better advice. smile
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 12:09am PST 
Before you know it she will be back home wanting to run around long before her incision has healed and all this worry will be behind you :3.

If it helps, think of it this way - if she wasn't going into surgery, you would still need to worry about when her next heat would come in, how it would affect her (sounds like they have been progressively worse and worse), and how it would affect Bam-Bam as well.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 12:13am PST 
I was a nervous wreck before Chance was spayed and during her spay!

Just think how nice it will be for her without all the heat-related problems!

And at her age, the post-spay puppy-zoomies won't be so much of a problem!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 6:17am PST 
I felt awful getting Missy spayed, but like Reyna, she was suffering after each heat due to phantom pregnancies that were getting more intense. Probably not the wisest thing to say right now, but she did have complications during her surgery and i felt incredibly guilty that i had put her through that. But, what you have to remember is that MOST dogs do fine and are well on the mend within a day or two. It is scary, that's natural because we love our dogs. I'm sure Reyna will be fine hug
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Jan 9, '11 9:58am PST 
Your baby girl will do just great. You've found a great vet and sounds as if she'll be in good hands. If you can, just maybe to help your stress level, make yourself busy that day if at all possible. Something to get your mind distracted and to make the day fly by.

I only had Mikey 4 days when he got neutered and I was a nervous wreck. Luckily I worked that day and I was able to have my mind focus on work. Although I did watch the clock every once in a while and when the vet called to tell me he was good to go home, I cried a little. I think from the stress and relief of it all.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Sun Jan 9, '11 3:52pm PST 
Yes, there are risks and you are right to be concerned. There are risks to every procedure. However, the risks are very slight. Perhaps your understanding vet even gave you the numbers, very small ones. You are doing the right thing and soon it will be over with and you will have her back. Never again will she suffer through a troublesome season.
[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Sun Jan 9, '11 4:11pm PST 
Now I know why my mom didn't tell me when she had Izzie spayed (it was the day before I came home for Christmas when she was six months old).

Post-Spay comfort and snuggles with Reyna will make up for the surgery! And perhaps her favorite meal when she's ready to eat!
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Jan 9, '11 4:11pm PST 
Reyna, even though no surgery can be 100% safe, the biggest factor in whether or not a surgery is safe is how often the doctor does that particular surgery--and vets do an awful lot of spays. You've chosen a good vet that you're comfortable with, and I'm sure you're doing pre-op bloodwork. Your baby will be fine, and you'll survive the stress. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3