GO!

Happy Ending--senior dog with cancer (gone now but never to be forgotten)

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lilly

Barked: Tue Dec 21, '10 8:01pm PST 
This was my Lilly, who passed away 6 months ago. I am posting this video of her to show others how rewarding it can be to adopt a senior or special needs animal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjsDCc4lCE

She was truly the best doggie ever. I miss her terribly. Even though we only had 14 months together, it was still a very happy ending.
[notify]
Rylee

I\'m Rylee!

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 7:24am PST 
I love this! We have a senior dog at our shelter right now who we're trying to place in a forever home, even if it is for just a few months or a year or however long.

Thank you for taking such a sweet girl into your home! hug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 7:36am PST 
hug

am on the verge of adopting from a rescue. will rethink my "age limits."
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 7:37am PST 
Simply fantastic! You are so right, it is a happy ending and you helped make it happen for that dog.hughughug
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 4:00pm PST 
thank you for letting her come to the bridge being loved
it make all the diffrence to us little angel
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 4:56pm PST 
Thank you = )

It means so much to me for other people to see what an amazing companion she was!

If it could inspire just one person to open their heart to a senior or special needs dog, then it was worth it!
[notify]
Rudy, until we meet again

i CAN hear you.

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 9:15pm PST 
there is something so special, so inherently humane about adopting a senior or special needs dog. I think we adopt to find a special connection, some meaning through it all, and I found with our senior shiba Rudy that it was the most meaningful rescue experience I've ever had.

We had Rudy for two months before he crossed the bridge. I will never forget him.
[notify]
Maggie - RIP - 1998-2010

Even senior dogs- make great new- pets.

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 9:29pm PST 
If I was to do things all over again, I would still of adopted my Maggie. She was 10 when we got her and only had her a short 2 1/2 years. We never planed on getting a senior pup, but were sure glad we did. She was the perfect first time dog for my son and they were best buds from the day she came home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBwE4L_9Ds
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 1:47pm PST 
Awww, Maggie was such a beautiful, happy girl = )
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 9:10am PST 
I am so excited to see that the video I created in honour of Lilly has been viewed 845 times.

The reason I am anxious for people to see it is that I want to spread the word about how amazing it can be to adopt a senior or special needs dogs.

My Christams wish is for the video to top 1000 views. The more views it gets, the more likely its message is to reach a larger audience in days to come. If it prompts even one person to open their hearts to a dog like Lilly who would otherwise be euthanized in a shelter, then it will have been worth the effort.

If you have a minute today and would like to check it out, please see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjsDCc4lCE

Also please feel free to share widely.

Happy Holidays everyone!

In the spirit of the season, please consider adopting a senior or special needs pet from a local shelter or video.

PS for more information on Lilly's story, please see the fundraiser that I created to benefit the Toronto Humane Society in her memory and in memory of other special needs animals that the THS volunteers have taken into their homes:

http://torontohumanesociety.akaraisin.com/pledge/Participant/Hom e.aspx?seid=2505&mid=9&pid=355494
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2