GO!

Wld a Yorkie be ok with a Saint Bernard?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lexus

I LOVE my mommy!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 12:34pm PST 
I am considering getting a yorkie and I have 2saint bernards that LOVE little dogs, they are actually very obedient to them.lol So I was just wondering if anyone else has a yorkie with a big dog?snoopy
[notify]
Dublin Rose- O'Belle

Sugar Baby!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 12:58pm PST 
No Yorkies or St. Bernards involved, but our 30 lb Dubs is the boss of 100 lb. plus Savannah.
[notify]
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 8:33pm PST 
My sister in law has a Yorkie and a 70lb American Pitbull Terrier big grin The yorkie is most definatly the boss, her yorkie has a really bad attitude though laugh out loud Its doable, but they should never be left alone together as soemtimes the bigger dog doesn't realize its big so it can be dangerous big grin
[notify]

Lexus

I LOVE my mommy!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 8:53pm PST 
Thats what I am thinkingblue dog
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 9:07pm PST 
T.C. is about 15-20 lbs (friday she is getting weighed). Belgian is a bigger Labrador and weighs between 95-100 lbs. and that isn't fat, just bad breeding. They get along really well. Belgian lets T.C. know when enough is enough and vic versa. Most of the day though they just lay next to each other. T.C. on occasion will sleep on Belgian too.

It depends on the dog really. Belgian was also gentle with T.C.'s puppies which were like the size of his paw. The puppies were the ones that were rough on him. He took it though and just let them be.

Just careful supervision would be needed and before you add one, I would suggest trying to find dogs that are similar in size to see how your beautiful dogs would do. If you have a friend that has a yorkie or a dog that is similar size as a yorkie, maybe you can ask to have the dog over for a weekend or something to see how your dogs will do with smaller dog living with them.
[notify]
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 9:14pm PST 
It is doable, if the Saints are known to like small dogs. Make sure it is genuine love for small dogs, not fearful "obediance" that may someday turn to annoyance. I know it sounds silly, but I have seen a fully grown Great Dane tuck tail and run from a snapping Chihuahua cross.

I would look for a sturdy Yorkie, though, especially if you are planning to rescue. There are a lot in rescue because they "got too big." I have known tiny Yorkies, under 3lb full grown, which makes for a pretty frail dog. When you get into size differences that drastic, the small dog is at risk of injury if the larger dog even misplaces his foot. It would make me uncomfortable to live with that worry.

One of the tiny Yorkies I know lives with a very mellow Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Puggle. They do just fine, although Ridgebacks aren't nearly as big as Saints! And she is one of the most dainty dogs I have ever seen.

I know a Bernese Mountain Dog breeder who has a rescued miniature Poodle, too. She breeds lovely dogs, and they get along just fine.

Edited by author Wed Dec 1, '10 9:17pm PST

[notify]
Jet Hawk

Flying high- since 2008.

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 10:31pm PST 
Hello! wave

Our grandma lives in FL near a Mastiff (not sure which variety, but they're all big!) breeder. She has about 5 Mastiffs in her house that are all ruled by her Yorkie. It's so funny! big laugh So it is definitely doable, you just need to find the right Yorkie. way to go
[notify]
Oscar

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 6:12am PST 
I have a daschund and an american pitt bull terrier and they are fabulous together. My sister has a yorkie and american pitt together and oh does the yorkie rule the nest. LOL Yorkies are not intimidated by a dogs size they will defend themselves and in having rescuing many dogs in my lifetime, I have found larger breeds adapt very well to little dogs being around especially getting them as pups. Good luck, I am sure your Saints would enjoy the playfullness a yorkie would bring to their pack.
[notify]
Lexus

I LOVE my mommy!

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 7:17am PST 
Thanks Guys!! I jst hope my hubby lets me get one! blue doghappy dance
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 8:43am PST 
Sure you can hamster dancedo it Lexie. Just make sure they don't get left alone when you're not home, becaubig guys accidentally ll on the yorkie, it could be disasterous.se if your
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3