GO!

Help! I am on the verge of giving up with Diesel (sorry so long)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Diesel

Did someone say- Dinner!?!?!?!?!

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:08pm PST 
Ok i had to rush Diesel to the vet, Once Again, for swallowing a pair of hubby's gloves. When i was leaving for work this morning i caught him chewing on one and when i took it from him he actually lunged at me growling. I didn't back away i just stood there while he growled and grumbled. After 20 min i was able to get him to sit and i could take his collar and walk him to his crate. I took the gloves and put them up on top of our couch, in which he is not allowed on and left. Well when hubby got home he let him out as usual and he apparently went up on the couch and grabbed both of them and gulp gulp swallowed both. Hubby didn't notice until about an hour and half later so i called the vet and of course they told me to bring him in. After about 2 hours he finally got both of them out after they induced vomiting. THey also said they was other stuff but couldn't tell what it was. My dilemma is once again i just spent close to $300 on him getting into stuff. We are really getting tired of having to fork out hundreds of dollars every couple months with him. Don't get me wrong, we love him to death but i don't have the money to keep this up. I have pet insurance but it is a rebate service so i have fork out the cash and about 2 months later i get a check in the mail for usually around 60% of what i paid.
We have tried crating and he always ends up with sores on his legs and belly and if we put something soft under him he tears it up and eats it. We started leaving him out and he does "ok" but we have to watch him like a hawk. We make sure everything is pretty much out of his reach. But like today even when we put things where he isn't allowed and never has been allowed, if he really wants it he'll get it. It causing a lot stress. He gets really aggressive with things he isn't supposed to have so when we go to get it he'll let us have it but as soon as you pull away he growls and lunges. So that on top of him thinking everything is edible we are pretty much ready to put him for adoption. Please any suggestions will be appreciated.
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:20pm PST 
He sounds like he is extremely bored and looking for ways to entertain himself. I really think he needs to be challenged more. Introduce games, long walks, tug, hide and seek, exercise, appropriate chew toys..
[notify]
Diesel

Did someone say- Dinner!?!?!?!?!

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:26pm PST 
Thank you Bo wave
I have had a hard time finding any chew toys that he can have while alone. We have the Cuz Balls and he loves them but he like to chew off the feet and tries to pop out the squeeker. I have tried nyla bones and he wants nothing to do with them. As far as exercise what are some godd ways that don't take a long time. I work unti 6Pm everyday and Hubby is also not home very often. I was looking into a treadmill but that won't be able to be purchased for another month or so.
[notify]

Koda

Fly by chomps

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:33pm PST 
What about a dog walker or doggie daycare during the day? Though it might be pricey, it's still probably cheaper than visits to the vet & the ER. We have dog walkers here that'll come pick up your dog & take them to the dog park.

Also, have you tried giving your pooch antlers to chew on? They have deer, elk, moose, etc. antlers. You can buy them online for much cheaper than in your local pet store. My kids love them & they last forever. The elk ones are particularly good because they're slightly stinky & have more of that yummy marrow stuff. Or what about getting a giant Kong & stuffing it with all kinds of yummy treats, including peanut butter. You can freeze it so it hardens, then give it to your dog when you leave. That may preoccupy him for a while.

Good luck!
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:34pm PST 
I like Wubba Kongs in fact the whole Kong line is great for tough chewers. You could even fill a Kong and leave it with him so he can have a snack. There are many wonderful Kong stuffings you can make right at home. I also like to braid big pieces of fleece for home made chew/tug toys. Google extra tough dog toys there are millions out there. Bully sticks are great too.

I think any stimulation or exercise is better then none. I honestly believe a tired and mentality rested dog does not destroy things. I promise wink You could play tug ( 5-10 minutes of tug = a long walk) for mine. It can wear them out. You can explore new things on your walks. Play fetch for a few minutes. Play hide and seek. Hide treats around the house and let him find those. Look into nose work since he is so adapt at finding stuff. Look into puzzle games, mine love those. Take long walks in the evenings. Take a car trip n the weekends. What does he like to to best.. Other then chew.
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:38pm PST 
I love Koda'si deas too. I tend to forget about dog walkers/ day care. I have the privilege of working from home. So I get to entertain my crew all day. By 4:00 p.m they are wore out until morning.
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:39pm PST 
I agree with Bo. Do you leave him with anything to do when you leave? If he had his choice between a food puzzle toy, stuffed kong, or gloves, do you think he would still have picked the gloves?

What kind of food are you feeding him?

How much exercise is he getting everyday?

Is it possible that he is doing this because he knows it will get him attention?

Things to think about. thinking
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:50pm PST 
I agree with the previous posters that he may need more stimulation and things that are meant to be chewed, but I also think the situation needs to be managed more strictly. In this case, putting the gloves on the sofa doesn't seem out-of-reach enough. You can't put high-value temptation within reach of most dogs and expect them not to overstep boundaries. Dogs aren't supposed to be on the counter, either, but if you left a dog alone in the kitchen with a steak on the counter, I bet many dogs would manage to get it down anyway.

Is there some area of the house where you could put up an X-Pen, and have absolutely *nothing* in there except for acceptable chew toys? Or is he the type of dog that would find a way out? Is there a spare room that you could puppy-proof and shut him in there during the day?

We had a pug once who would eat anything ... we had to make sure to pick up any coins that would fall on the floor, because he would eat those too. And before my father finally learned that it's not good enough to just put his glasses up on the coffee table, the dog chewed up two pairs. Some dogs just need lots of management.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:51pm PST 
I agree with Bo, it does sound like he is bored & just doesn't have the right things to chew on. How about kongs? They are a bit pricey but well worth it!! They are extremely tough & the fun part is puting things like yogurt, wet dog food, kibble, Peanut Butter (thats a big favorite among the wooferswink), dog treats etc. And also putting it in the freezer for an hour or so takes the dog even longer to get the goods out!

I would also consider maybe consulting a dog trainer to help you with his growing possesive behavior. And maybe even possibly look into something like doggie daycare or a dog walker to help with his energy needs, maybe only make it a once weekly thing. Some doggie daycares even provide dog training & such so that could be something to look into. Oh and possibly talk with your vet, and if he/she has any advice on the situation.

Also if you don't currently own one, I would look into possibly purchasing a crate. Again sometimes a bit pricey (though there are some pretty good priced ones out there) but worth it. When your not home or just busy & cannot watch him you could put him in there with a comfy bed, some chew toys & a kong and that way you won't have to worry about him getting into trouble. However just make sure not to"abuse" (not saying your a bad dog owner! This is just kinda my "crate speech" that I give all the time to potential adopters that come into the shelter I volunteer at)the crate by putting him in it all the time especially when your at home & he could be out in the house & you could supervise him. You want to make it a fun place, not a bad evil place that will cause him to become nervous & do things like chew in the crate & bark/howl & thats why we add things like cmfy beds/blankets, toys & food!!

Hope I could help, stay in their it will get better!!hugwisheshug
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:55pm PST 
He's a puppy still (yes, even at 2), and if you give him other constructive things to do I can almost guarantee the bad behaviors will stop. We use the flavored Big Chews Nylabones, Tanuk has zero interest in the non-flavored ones. Also, the huge black Kongs are really durable, and they make a few other designs in the black material. As others mentioned you can fill those with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, wet food, etc and then freeze for an even longer last treat. It's the only thing that keeps Tanuk occupied for an hour. Also, try feeding him his meals exclusively in treat dispensers like the Tug-a-Jug, really helps wear them out. More walk of course with help, two easy walks a day for an American Bulldog I would think would be plenty. And of course, keep everything out of reach! wink

P.S. It would probably be helpful to teach a really strong "drop it" or "trade" command. So when he has something bad, you can give him the command, and in reward he'll get something even better like a piece of hot dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7