GO!

Incredible how cruel people can be....

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 5:40pm PST 
News Story

My Heart's Desire is a local rescue organization. A news story was just done for MHD, showing three dogs in particular who were abused/neglected terribly. A weimaraner (Zuzu), was found under a bus, mouth roped and taped shut, legs hog tied with blue painter tape. Shortly after, he had to have surgery to the tune of $1600 to fix a tear in his intestines that formed a pus pocket. Another dog, Takoda, was starved beyond belief. He is now thriving with a little TLC and good food. The third, Ripley, omg, he was one of the most severely matted dogs I've ever seen! It's quite incredible, and so sad. He's now been shaved down and is learning how to be a dog again.

I'm so glad MHD got a news story. It will get them more exposure and really help the animals.

But it's amazing, isn't it? How people can treat animals so terribly..... just baffling. cry

Edited by author Tue Oct 26, '10 5:40pm PST

[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 7:04pm PST 
cry

One woman took two teenagers who had abused animals, and made them listen to a stethescope that was placed on a dog's chest. The boys cried realizing for the first time that the animals they abused were ALIVE.

How does a parent manage to skip teaching that to their children?
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 7:10pm PST 
I honestly have no feelings for people who hurt the innocent. I can't imagine what goes through their minds when they're doing such horrible things. I don't consider those kinds of people real human beings. Seriously, there should be capital punnishment for animal abusers.
[notify]

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 7:43pm PST 
Winnie Mae- Wow, that's so sad. cry

Yoshi- I just don't get it. But then, children are raised that way and when they become adults..... It's incredibly sad. I see the neighborhood children around here, they're raised to tease and be mean to animals. They like to taunt dogs and rile them up and I even witnessed two young boys (no more than 5 yo) beat a kitten to death with a pipe one day. It's just beyond aweful. Some people are just..... ugh. confused
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 7:59pm PST 
Steele:
What do you mean....you watched (5 year old) kids beat a kitten to death?

If no one stops them and tells them it's wrong, how are they supposed to know?

I know it seems like swimming against the current, but if we aren't part of the solution, we are part of the problem!
frown
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 8:05pm PST 
I notice you're involved in rescue, so you are part of the solution. Don't give up on those kids. They are young enough to be changed!

The younger the faster they can see a different side of things. By age 8 or 9 it's harder to get through.
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 9:13pm PST 
Of course we did something (mom and I). I had gone outside (we were about to leave to go somewhere) and I see down the road, these two boys beating... something. A small black blob. I looked on and slowly began to realize it was an actual animal (though I was still unsure, I wanted to be sure before doing anything). You can imagine, when seeing something like this, it takes you back big time. I got my mom and she looked and it's so unbelievable, we were just trying to.... really comprehend it. When we finally realized it definitely was an animal, we jumped in the car and rode down there.

The boys stopped when they saw us and my mom told one of them, "I bet you feel really proud now, beating a defenseless animal." or something to that effect. The boy just looked down and didn't say anything. We looked at the kitten. It was lying still but actually still breathing. We drove down where an ACO lives (on my street) and told her about it through tears and she said she'd let the others know and try to do something about it. When we went back, the kitten was no longer there (mom had talked to some guy across the street about it before going to the ACO's so either he or someone else must have done something with the poor thing). I had wanted to pick him up and take him but my mom didn't want me to. But yea....

I'll often say something that will make people wonder and question me (like I did here, and it's happened before) and I don't mean to make it sound odd (make it sound as if I did nothing). It's just that I don't like to drag a post out, explaining about everything if I don't need to (and I know some people don't like to read really long posts). Just so you know. dog But... now you know anyway. I've seen some very cruel things in my neighborhood. It's a bad neighborhood. Very bad. So much so that I don't feel comfortable saying some things about it on a forum.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 10:35pm PST 
Yes, it is incredible how cruel people can be!

We had a cat when I was younger that a neighbor/good friend of our's had saved from some kids who were actually trying to drown her! She was kinda wild because of her past life, but an awesome pet nonetheless. Her name was Ginger.

Edited by author Tue Oct 26, '10 10:37pm PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 6:29am PST 
Good for you on stopping those kids and reporting it to the authorities. There's a reason why it's now become more well-known that the early abuse of animals is a hallmark of a future serial killer. They have no respect for life period. They begin with animals and move on to humans. They are sociopaths. Yes, parents that allow, encourage, or do not teach that this behavior is horribly wrong are in fact raising sociopaths to grow up and walk among us as predators.

I grew up in a neighborhood where a serial killer was active in the late 70s to early 80s. Brush work crews and children in my area began finding dogs hung in the trees in the woods a decade before the first human bodies were found. The mystery of the dogs was never solved at the time, it was very traumatizing...now ofcourse looking back we know who the culprit was. If the officials had taken those crimes more seriously and really stopped the person, got him into a psych ward, it's possible that future crimes could have been prevented. He wound up getting the death penalty.

Thankfully, that type of abuse is taken more seriously now, although I agree that criminal penalties for animal abuse should be much higher. If anyone out there knows about or witnesses animal abuse, please please take it seriously and report it to animal control and/or the police.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 10:57am PST 
Yoshi:

Actually, I feel very sorry for people so far "gone" that they harm innocent beings that way. Sometimes the offenders are really like the boys I posted about: unaware that the animal is alive.

The one time I have no pity on abusers is when they are grown ups who DO, or at least, at one point, DID, know better. A man who beats his wife and children, a dog fighter, those people have stooped to the lowest level of humanity. I feel for their lost soul, but at a certain point, a grown up must take responsibility for his actions.

However, when I see children abusing an animal, I feel like crying for both the child and the animal. A seven year old who beats a cat to death? Kids don't come up with that stuff on their own, you have to wonder who is influencing them at home/school to make them behave like that. I'm sure the majority of young animal abusers are coming from broken homes with either abusive, neglective, or quarreling parents who don't take the time to show the child that, yes, this IS a living, breathing creature that DESERVES OUR RESPECT!

Edited by author Wed Oct 27, '10 11:01am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2