GO!

Halloween!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Angel

One of a kind,- that dog of- mine!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 4:27pm PST 
It's only a week till Halloween! Angel, personally, hates trick-or-treaters, and I don't walk her on Halloween night simply because all the flashing lights/people dressed up/jack'o'lanterns would probably cause her to have a heart attack. laugh out loud

But in any case...

I have a few little questions. Does anyone care to answer? Feel free to delete my answers if you like.

1. How does your dog react to trick-or-treaters? Me: See above.

2. Is your dog dressing up for Halloween? Me: Not this year, but when she was two we took an old shirt of mine that she had ripped, turned it into a vest, and buttoned it on her. The shirt said 90% Angel. Then we put devil horns on her head. laugh out loud

3. Does your dog like or dislike their Halloween costume? Me: Well, the vest went down just fine, but the devil horns took forever to convince her to wear.

4. What does your dog think of the whole Halloween kit and caboodle in general? Me: She thinks it's the worst holiday in the whole wide world. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 4:53pm PST 
This will be my first halloween with the girls, but based on personality, i think it'll go this way:

1. How does your dog react to trick-or-treaters? B: hiding in a corner to see who's at the door. D: greeting them at the door

2. Is your dog dressing up for Halloween? Both have t-shirts. Daisy's is a pumpkin. Bella's has a picture of a ghost and says "Boo"

3. Does your dog like or dislike their Halloween costume? Daisy: has had her on and didn't seem to notice. haven't put it on Bella yet.

4. What does your dog think of the whole Halloween kit and caboodle in general? Daisy probably won't care. bella will prob hate everyone coming to the door especially since they will be dressed weird.
[notify]
Jack

CGC'd!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 5:38pm PST 
1. How does your dog react to trick-or-treaters? B hates them with a passion. Jack, on the other hand, thinks that small children are the coolest thing EVER.

2. Is your dog dressing up for Halloween? Jack is going to be something yet to be determined. Last year he was a chicken (from which stems one of his nicknames, Rooster.)

3. Does your dog like or dislike their Halloween costume? Me: Jack wanted to eat the costume, but once it was on he didn't care too much. B just gets a pumpkin bandana, to still look festive.

4. What does your dog think of the whole Halloween kit and caboodle in general? B's in Angel's camp: worst holiday of the year. For Jack: a bunch of delighted sticky children may be his favorite thing ever.
[notify]

Montana

Mexican- Mutt-a-roonie

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:09pm PST 
1. How does your dog react to trick-or-treaters?

This is her first year, but I assume she'll just sleep on her bed, maybe open an eye. ;-P

2. Is your dog dressing up for Halloween?

I really wanted to dress Montana up as a taco, seeing how she's from Mexico, but I'm not going to be around on Halloween and don't have anywhere to take her. So, maybe next year.

3. Does your dog like or dislike their Halloween costume?

Montana LOVES being dressed up!! I put her in a Christmas Santa costume already, she knew she was adorable. When she was at the shelter, they used her in a show to raise awareness about the shelter where they dressed her up in different outfits. I fell in love when I saw her in a clown suit.

4. What does your dog think of the whole Halloween kit and caboodle in general?

The best way to describe my dog is neutral. She doesn't care about anything either way. laugh out loud

I would have loved to see that costume, Angel! Got any pics?
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:45pm PST 

Addy loves visitors. She especially loves little kids. She's not ordinarily a door-darter, but on Halloween, I keep her leash on so that she doesn't accidentally wind up outside in her excitement over the children.

Addy will probably dress up as a Patriots fan.

I stick to things that don't make her uncomfortable--nothing too elaborate.

Addy loves the little kids, costumes or not. The teenagers, who have really good costumes, they scare her. I avoid walking her when the trick-or-treaters are out, and make the teenagers who come to the door stand back and have their candy handed to them by their younger siblings who are the official reason for them being out trick-or-treating. big grin

Most teenager trick-or-treaters have been very understanding about it. One teenager realized what was going on before I had a chance to say anything, and took off his mask and made his friends take off theirs, so that Addy could see that they were people and not Monsters. way to go
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:46pm PST 
Years ago on Halloween I answered the door and my GSD was right behind me. The kid at the front door was dressed in a plump pumpkin costume. My GSD took one look at that and high tailed it to the back of the house. Scared the heck out of him.

I try and walk Mikey late(ish) on Halloween night. Most of the kids who have elaborate costumes are no longer trick-or-treating so it seems safe.
I have no idea how he'll react to funky costumes and I kind of don't want to find out.
I've never tried dressing Mikey up and I'm sure he'd hate it.
[notify]
Angel

One of a kind,- that dog of- mine!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:03pm PST 
Mikey: And with a Saint Bernard there's not a whole lot you can do about them resisting you, so...laugh out loud

"I would have loved to see that costume, Angel! Got any pics?"

Montana: One or two...cameras are also on Angel's "things to be afraid of" list. I'll try and find one. Maybe I'll change her profile picture for Halloween. smile
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:31pm PST 
The same way she reacts to anyone who knocks on the door. Barks her fool head off in fear. *Sigh* She's also afraid of kids. The few years I have let her hang around the doorway she's been inquisitive about them after the initial barking. But I'm probably just going to put her somewhere safe this year to keep her from being stressed out.

Yep. It's annual tradition that I dress Ris for Halloween. She loves wearing T-shirts so I usually base a costume around that. So far she's been a Syracuse University Fan twice, a Ravenclaw student, and a police officer. This year, she's a pirate.

In general, Ris loves dressing up. She's weird like that. wink Though I found with her pirate costume, she doesn't really like wearing anything on her head.

She's probably indifferent. Though I think she'd prefer a bunch of people don't come by and knock on the door repeatedly. Scary!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:52pm PST 

Last year we didn't get any! I was bummed out, and didn't get to see how Mulder would react. Year before that he was still just a puppy, and didn't know WHAT the heck was going on. He would bark and run around the house like a goober when someone would come to the door.

This year, Mulder has decided to dress up as an urban street youth, as he is saddened deeply by their plight and is hoping to make a statement with his garb.

Stay in school kids. Don't do catnip.

I have begged many times for forgiveness... I still think he holds it against me silenced

Mulder has a bitter hatred of the plastic cauldron I use to hand out candy. I think it has something to do with last year and him getting his head stuck in it while diving for candy. I told him it was his own fault for trying to snipe my candy, but apparently he saw things differently shh

Other than that, he seems pretty cool about it laugh out loud
[notify]
My Lucky8

big packs rule!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 8:01pm PST 
1. How does your dog react to trick-or-treaters? They love visitors LOL..but are secured behind a baby gate.

2. Is your dog dressing up for Halloween? Nope

3. Does your dog like or dislike their Halloween costume?Don't know

4. What does your dog think of the whole Halloween kit and caboodle in general? They love all the kids!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3