GO!

How old was your puppy when you brought him home?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 3:24pm PST 
I've been hearing different ages of when puppies should be brought home. I've always thought that they should be brought home at 8 weeks, but then I heard 6 weeks was also fine. Then I started hearing that puppies shouldn't come home until at least 12 weeks.

I'll turn this in to a "survey" kind of thing, or you could call it a poll. I'll see how many of you brought your puppies home at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc, etc then I'll post the results very soon. Once I get some repsonses, the results will be out, and you will be part of the vote.

If you did not bring your dog home as a puppy, you can still participate!! Respond by telling us when YOU think a puppy should go to their new home.

Thanks!! I hope I get some repsonses smile

Edited by author Wed Jul 21, '10 3:24pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 3:27pm PST 
Missy was 8 weeks old, Tyler was 10 weeks old.

I think 10 weeks is the perfect age and that is preferably the age i want all my future pups to come home to me at big grin
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 4:53pm PST 
Eight weeks, one day.

Ten weeks seems to be the consensus as to the optimal time, or so I've seen, but if none of the other puppies are in the litter by the time you bring yours home, it's pointless to wait until the "eight week minimum" (or whatever your personal minimum is) - the reason you wait to separate a puppy from its litter is so that it can learn from its litter-mates proper bite inhibition, things like that.

Edited by author Wed Jul 21, '10 4:53pm PST

[notify]

Piper

Super Puppy

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 6:39pm PST 
10 weeks puppy
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 7:35pm PST 
Six weeks is doable, but really too young, and in a lot of areas illegal. Eight weeks should be the minimum, ten is better, and twelve to sixteen the best.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 7:40pm PST 
Lantis was 8 weeks if I remember right.

The minis came home shortly after their 11th week.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 8:07pm PST 
Sanka was 9 weeks.

I'm not sure about Kato. They guessed him to be 12 weeks.shrug
[notify]
Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 8:12pm PST 
I also agree that around 10 weeks would be the best time. I can't blame anyone who brought their puppy home earlier I brought my puppy home at 7 weeks! Anyways, results:

8 weeks: 3
9 weeks: 1
10 weeks: 2
11 weeks: 1
12 weeks: 1

More repsonses are appreciated!! Thanks!!
[notify]
Sable Marie

-insert witty- phrase here-

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 8:29pm PST 
Sable was 9 weeks and one day old when I brought her home. I had to wait an extra week to pick her up, which I was sad about. I just wanted to hold my baby, haha.

But i think 9~10 weeks is a good age. Never before 6 weeks in my book unless you're rescuing a puppy of course.
[notify]
Dingo

The only limit- is the end of- the trail

Barked: Wed Jul 21, '10 8:32pm PST 
My old cocker came to us at 4.5 weeks, her "breeder" said she was older, mostly potty trained, and weaned, but we found out otherwise and bottle fed her for a week.
Dingo came home at 5 weeks he was covered in fleas and infested with tape worms, when we wormed him about 20 9 inch worms came out of him over the course of 5 hours.
Dasy came home at 12-15 weeks.
All the other dogs, besides my moms cocker who was born into the family, were brought in as adults.
I'd say the best age is between 8 and 12 weeks
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7